Bread shops

brianthainess

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Why do bread shops keep the same amount of white bread, as brown/whole meal

Brown always runs out  first, and white crap is left till last, Oz was the same, it is so obvious what most people want yet the suppliers just don't seem to understand. 

Yep - you'd think the shop owners would figure this out - but - they never seen to grasp the desires of their clientèle. 

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am just guessing here, but I guess some shops are happy to sell i.e. 50 almond croissants a day and that's it.

Maybe they would sell 70 on a good day, so they could stock 70.

But if they only sell 55 on another day, then 15 of them are wasted, and nobody wants to buy a croissant from yesterday on the next day - at least not for full price.

Consequence: Stock what you are sure you can sell and that's it. No leftover, no loss, no headache. 

this coffee shop is busy everyday, little risk of buying too many

• Agree 1

Brown always runs out  first, and white crap is left till last, Oz was the same, it is so obvious what most people want yet the suppliers just don't seem to understand. 

You could always make your own and fiddle about with the recipe until you get what you want. You can make it in an ordinary oven, a table top oven, a convection oven, an air fryer or even in a wok.

It is cheaper and better for you, and once you get the recipe to your taste, you will never run out. You can slice it and freeze it for when ever you need some.

There are many recipes on the internet for you to choose from. Once you have made it you will never want to go back to the shop made stuff.

• Agree 2

If they are still in business after 1 yr, that tells me they are doing something correct.  They may use the day old white bread for other things they sell.

2nd making your own, as it is own of the easiest & inexpensive things to bake.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Few of the posters here suggested to bake your own bread forgetting to mentioned that you need an oven or a bread maker

for that, other than that, Big C has few kinds of pretty good non white bread at a reasonable price if you go there like early in the morning...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Few of the posters here suggested to bake your own bread forgetting to mentioned that you need an oven or a bread maker

for that, other than that, Big C has few kinds of pretty good non white bread at a reasonable price if you go there like early in the morning...

Otto oven starts at 700bht, full size oven is 3,000bht so not that much of a consideration.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I go to Continental Bakery and the white runs out too early, it's very popular, but your problem is common, a lack of common sense, a coffee shop i go to always runs out of almond croissants by 10.30, they don't order more

I've noticed it for many other items over the years.

Dumb as rocks. 🤡

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

You could always make your own and fiddle about with the recipe until you get what you want. You can make it in an ordinary oven, a table top oven, a convection oven, an air fryer or even in a wok.

It is cheaper and better for you, and once you get the recipe to your taste, you will never run out. You can slice it and freeze it for when ever you need some.

There are many recipes on the internet for you to choose from. Once you have made it you will never want to go back to the shop made stuff.

I've got better things to do than spend hours making bread, I always freeze my bread. And would be more expensive not cheaper.

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

I have an oven, yesterday, Tesco none, Macro none, 7/11 none, small C 2 small ones. Making good bread takes hours and IMO not cheaper, whole meal flour is expensive and so is electricity, yes I could have gone earlier, but the point I was trying to make, is there was loads of white bread and no brown bread.

16 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Your lucky all the local shops incl all the many 7-11's in my area stock at roughly 10 to 1 in favor of white, with the same problem i.e. by the time the delivery van leaves they've sold all the whole meal.

• Thanks 1

I've got better things to do than spend hours making bread, I always freeze my bread. And would be more expensive not cheaper.

I make my own sourdough bread every day and got it down to just a few minutes work. Hands-free, no kneading and no cleaning required, just re-use the same mixing container again the next day. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

But nowhere near as tasty. For me, if it takes 3 hours for the bread to be baked, only about 30 minutes pf that time is actually spent on making the bread, with the rest of the time spent on the bread rising a couple of times and the bread actually baking.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But nowhere near as tasty. For me, if it takes 3 hours for the bread to be baked, only about 30 minutes pf that time is actually spent on making the bread, with the rest of the time spent on the bread rising a couple of times and the bread actually baking.

Yes, really is too easy.

Takes all of 15-20 minutes, max, to mix & knead bread, whether by hand or machine.  Ball it up, let it rise, 30 mins.  De-gas, ball it up again, rise 30 mins.  Bake about 30 mins.

Simply troll AN during the rising & cooking phase.  Time flies when happy.

Do it all by hand, food processor, or stand mixer.   Really doesn't get any easier or better than that.   With or without sugar, along w/adding whatever you like.

You want Italian/garlic bread, spice it up before cooking.   Toast & butter...damn tasty.

You can even bake it in a larger air fryer (ours 4.5L).  I've done small loaf (4-500gr) in air fryer, needs inverted pan (aka Dutch over) so not to burn the top.  My 875gr loaf recipe is split between one small loaf, and 4 flatbreads, for quick pizza or wrap/shawarma/gyro/pita/taco use.  Or just one large loaf in regular oven.  Options abound.

If all you have is air fryer, than can do in that using Dutch oven method, or you'll burn the top.

Larger convection over better, easier, less paying attention.  Don't buy a crappy one if you live here or will use for years.  Highly recommend Electrolux 56L countertop oven/air fryer.  Well worth the extra baht.  Should meet most people's baking/roasting/cooking needs.

Also will help with that perfect beef steak, doing reverse sear method.

If retied, living here, too much idle time, need a hobby, cooking is a great one, and never too old to learn.  Easy w/YouTube vid now.   

23 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yes, really is too easy.

Takes all of 15-20 minutes, max, to mix & knead bread, whether by hand or machine.  Ball it up, let it rise, 30 mins.  De-gas, ball it up again, rise 30 mins.  Bake about 30 mins.

Simply troll AN during the rising & cooking phase.  Time flies when happy.

Do it all by hand, food processor, or stand mixer.   Really doesn't get any easier or better than that.   With or without sugar, along w/adding whatever you like.

You want Italian/garlic bread, spice it up before cooking.   Toast & butter...damn tasty.

You can even bake it in a larger air fryer (ours 4.5L).  I've done small loaf (4-500gr) in air fryer, needs inverted pan (aka Dutch over) so not to burn the top.  My 875gr loaf recipe is split between one small loaf, and 4 flatbreads, for quick pizza or wrap/shawarma/gyro/pita/taco use.  Or just one large loaf in regular oven.  Options abound.

If all you have is air fryer, than can do in that using Dutch oven method, or you'll burn the top.

Larger convection over better, easier, less paying attention.  Don't buy a crappy one if you live here or will use for years.  Highly recommend Electrolux 56L countertop oven/air fryer.  Well worth the extra baht.  Should meet most people's baking/roasting/cooking needs.

Also will help with that perfect beef steak, doing reverse sear method.

If retied, living here, too much idle time, need a hobby, cooking is a great one, and never too old to learn.  Easy w/YouTube vid now.   

So an Hour and a Half once you have gathered the utensils needed, plus the clean up :whistling: 2hrs I recon.

Edited by brianthainess

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I go to Continental Bakery and the white runs out too early, it's very popular, but your problem is common, a lack of common sense, a coffee shop i go to always runs out of almond croissants by 10.30, they don't order more

I used to know a woman who sold homemade coconut ice cream at a night market. Every single night she was out there, she sold out this enormous tub of ice cream and walked away with several thousand baht. She stopped selling because she sold out every night and it was too much work. 

Some seem to like it when business is really good and they are blessed to count their good fortune, some seem to really mind working so hard, or being too busy. 

Edited by spidermike007

36 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So an Hour and a Half once you have gathered the utensils needed, plus the clean up :whistling: 2hrs I recon.

Yea, shy of, as I got it down to a science, been doing it so long. 

I use stand mixer, so weigh/combine, mix/no knead necessary.

6 mins #1,

7 mins #2 speed. 

Stretch/ball/30 mini, rise

degas/stretch/ball/20 ish mins,

turn on over/10 more min rise while heating up. 

13 mins highest temp, turn,

17 min 375F/180C.  Internal temp 190F

Scale & timer is mandatory ... for consistent results

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I used to know a woman who sold homemade coconut ice cream at a night market. Every single night she was out there, she sold out this enormous tub of ice cream and walked away with several thousand baht. She stopped selling because she sold out every night and it was too much work. 

Some seem to like it when business is really good and they are blessed to count their good fortune, some seem to really mind working so hard, or being too busy. 

Retired undefeated, way to go woman! 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Got to do something for money, self employment usually pays a lot better.  At worse, the same, and no A-hole boss telling you what to do.

Sis has stall restaurant at night market (where I met wife), excellent cook and steady customers, as been there couple decades.  

I think my bedroom is bigger ... but, she puts in 10 ish hours days (all in) usually 7 days a week, and hubby helps, along with one son (serving hours (5).  Paid for couple houses, new cars, motorbikes (latest electric), and 2 sons through Uni.  Beats the hell out of working for people.

Only reason I could retire early, my self-ventures, as unskilled (on paper), and only one/last job paid anything close to decent salary.

On topic ... baking your own bread is inexpensive, as nothing extra needed in a normal house.   Bag of 1 kg bread flour (Swan) cost 36 baht,  500gr per loaf (350g water, 10g salt, 10-15gr yeast (Fermipan/red).   Salt is cheap, as is 500g yeast (keep in freezer).  All in, loaf of bread (875 gr), might cost 20-25 baht.

Added plus ..... house smell great.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

What bread is best for toasting , 

the sort that when you bite into it it crunches .

We only have the Farmhouse and all that seeded bread where we are , and even after toasting it is a bit limp.

21 minutes ago, NE1 said:

What bread is best for toasting , 

the sort that when you bite into it it crunches .

We only have the Farmhouse and all that seeded bread where we are , and even after toasting it is a bit limp.

Depends where you are, in Pattaya, Continental Bakery has a very good white toasting bread

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Depends where you are, in Pattaya, Continental Bakery has a very good white toasting bread

afraid we only have the S and P bakery and whatever Farmhouse turn up with.

On 12/24/2023 at 6:16 PM, Olmate said:

Why does brian the brown bread buyer never go shopping earlier? 

Becoz if I go earlier than 11am I can't buy booze. :giggle: that means 2 trips, more fuel and emissions to the environment. Another reason to stop these stupid archaic laws.