Asylum Seekers returning home for Christmas !!

CharlieH

Happens all the time in Australia, they plead for their safety, can't be returned to their countries of origin because they'll be persecuted and killed, then as soon as they get Aussie citizenship and PPs they're flying back home to visit their relis. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

The officer being interviewed actually stated that Asylum Seekers were being prevented from leaving the country whilst their asylum claim was still active.

I understand that if they did actually leave the UK then their claim was withdrawn.

Exactly. Over reaction.

People seem to have missed the words " attempting to" when reporting going to home country.

I'd have thought those on here who are anti asylum seekers would prefer they weren't stopped. 

20 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

The officer being interviewed actually stated that Asylum Seekers were being prevented from leaving the country whilst their asylum claim was still active.

I understand that if they did actually leave the UK then their claim was withdrawn.

This guy is not a "Border Force Chief".  More likely a Chief Immigration Officer which is junior management level.

I cannot envisage why he, or anyone else in Border Force, would wish to stop an asylum claimant returning to their home country.  Such a trip to their home country would surely be grounds for refusing entry if they were to return by legal means. 

If they were to return by illegal means such as on a small boat or by clandestine entry the fact they made a trip back to their home country would undermine any renewed claim for asylum.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, In the jungle said:

This guy is not a "Border Force Chief".  More likely a Chief Immigration Officer which is junior management level.

I cannot envisage why he, or anyone else in Border Force, would wish to stop an asylum claimant returning to their home country.  Such a trip to their home country would surely be grounds for refusing entry if they were to return by legal means. 

Phil Douglas is actually the DG of the Border Force, so a tad senior than a Senior Officer (CIO old speak) 

But yes if anyone seeking asylum left the UK before a decision was made on their application, then they  should forfeit their application.

Mr Douglas didn’t explain how they would be able to board a flight back to the UK, as far as I’m aware the UKBA don’t issue re-entry permits.