Please Explain Sushi Prices

Chris Daley

37 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I've only eaten it here at a few select places.   I see it all the time at fresh & night markets, sitting out, usually not covered.   Since not something I will microwave at home, I give it a pass.  Always looks tempting, then common sense kicks in.

Any other cooked meats I buy at fresh/night markets are fresh off the grill.   Not a fan of buying anything already on display, unless getting reheated at home.

I'm probably overly cautious, most of the time, but has worked so far.  

Same, I would never buy those kinds of sushi on display sitting there for whoever knows how long.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Killing and eating animals is disgusting.

I

2 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

Killing and eating animals is disgusting.

You must have missed my post describing the types of sushi.  Some varieties of futomaki is vegetarian all the way.  Strips of fresh cucumber or takuan (pickled daikon) and recently avocado, embedded in seasoned rice and wrapped in nori (laver) are the vegetable ones I am familiar with.  No animals involved!

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

They do everything small in Japan except the prices.  A sack of rice is 100 baht.  So why is 4 cubes of sushi 60 baht?

Why would you eat wasabi with white meat?  We all know wasabi is Colman's Mustard.  And we eat that with red meat, onions and a rich gravy sauce.  The wasabi over powers the delicate fish.

So that's it?  They have two sauces, soy sauce and wasabi?  Why is the sushi scene so stuck up and pretentious.  It's just student food.

How about you?  Do you eat sushi often?

That's like saying why do the Italians put cheese on their pizza. Sushi is what it is and has been for centuries, apart from what was added by the Americans, like the California roll, and they eat it the way they want. If you don't like sushi then don't eat it. If you put small amounts of Wasabi on your sushi then it won't overpower anything, but complement the taste. Also, sushi is usually prepared by people who learned the trait and that takes years. Prices of fish has gone up, too. A big tuna for example sells for way over a million bucks and everyone wants to earn a crust. 

16 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Same, I would never buy those kinds of sushi on display sitting there for whoever knows how long.

In Hawaii, the health department requires sushi and similar foods to be sold in sealed containers or in saran wrap and displayed in refrigerated show cases.  Unsold items must be removed after so long, with some foods in as little as four hours.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sushi is fun, you've got the train and tracks, those two wooden sticks to get the tasty morsel to your food hole all the while trying to look as if you use chopsticks everyday.

Real wasabi, can be expensive, is the bomb, and that pickled vegetable stuff, oh yeah. Miso soup ftw.

• Haha 1

I have eaten sushi in the States and Japan.  Not everyone eats it with soy or wasabi.  It’s a matter of taste.  And depending on the quality of the fish it varies in price.  
And not all sushi is raw.  So people that think all sushi is raw fish don’t know anything about it. 
Many  places freeze the fish first.  To kill any parasites. 

5 hours ago, still kicking said:

Well Charlie I eat pickled fish (Rollmops) which is not cooked 

You may want to reconsider that.

"Even though salt curing and/or pickling processes do have a partial killing effect on parasitic worms, their destruction is often not complete and is not adequate for parasite control."

7 hours ago, swm59nj said:

I have eaten sushi in the States and Japan.  Not everyone eats it with soy or wasabi.  It’s a matter of taste.  And depending on the quality of the fish it varies in price.  
And not all sushi is raw.  So people that think all sushi is raw fish don’t know anything about it. 

Similar to those whose idea of Thai food is som tam, pad thai and red, yellow and green curries.

The nori maki sushi I make has seasoned canned tuna, with scrambled egg and carrot strips inside.  Sometimes I had  kampyo (dried gourd).  Canned broiled eel

(unagi) has gone up tremendously in price, so most people like me used canned tuna. I also like to make inari sushi which is seasoned rice with small bits of kamaboko (steamed fish cake), cooked carrots and green beans stuffed in fried bean curd (aburage) purses. When it comes to raw fish, I used raw ahi with a little wasabi rolled in seasoned rice wrapped in nori.  The choice is endless and I enjoy them all.

8 hours ago, swm59nj said:

If it's not 'sushi grade' when purchased, do they freeze it down to (-4°F) or below for 7 days, or -31°C for 15 hours, along with storing at proper temp before using ?

For those too lazy or uninterested in the link:

"Sushi-grade- Freezing and storing seafood at-20°C (-4°F) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at-35°C (-31°F) or below until solid and storing at -35°C (-31°F) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at -35°C (-31°F) or below until solid and storing at -20°C (-4°F) or below for 24 hours."

Edited by KhunLA

28 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If it's not 'sushi grade' when purchased, do they freeze it down to (-4°F) or below for 7 days, or -31°C for 15 hours, along with storing at proper temp before using ?

For those too lazy or uninterested in the link:

"Sushi-grade- Freezing and storing seafood at-20°C (-4°F) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at-35°C (-31°F) or below until solid and storing at -35°C (-31°F) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at -35°C (-31°F) or below until solid and storing at -20°C (-4°F) or below for 24 hours."

Until now, I never paid much attention to the freezing requirement.  About a year ago I watched a video which mentioned this.

Here in Hawaii, we regularly use freshly caught ahi, (yellow-fin tuna) for sashimi and poke (seasoned raw fish) without giving it a second thought.  In all my years I have never heard of anyone here getting infected with parasites.  Cigautera, yes.

Supermarkets advertise the different varieties of poke made with "previously frozen ahi" for half the price of poke made with fresh ahi.  Personally, I really can't see much of a difference except for the price.  So what do you think I buy?

My son regularly goes handline fishing on his boat.  He brings in various kinds of small fish ranging from one to four pounds.  What our family doesn't eat is sold to my girlfriend's fellow employees.  Demand is such they are gone within hours.

Tuna fishing is for the big boys, which can be quite risky.  So we continue to buy our tuna from the supermarkets which offer a fairly good selection.

1 hour ago, Hawaiian said:

Until now, I never paid much attention to the freezing requirement.  About a year ago I watched a video which mentioned this.

Here in Hawaii, we regularly use freshly caught ahi, (yellow-fin tuna) for sashimi and poke (seasoned raw fish) without giving it a second thought.  In all my years I have never heard of anyone here getting infected with parasites.  Cigautera, yes.

Supermarkets advertise the different varieties of poke made with "previously frozen ahi" for half the price of poke made with fresh ahi.  Personally, I really can't see much of a difference except for the price.  So what do you think I buy?

My son regularly goes handline fishing on his boat.  He brings in various kinds of small fish ranging from one to four pounds.  What our family doesn't eat is sold to my girlfriend's fellow employees.  Demand is such they are gone within hours.

Tuna fishing is for the big boys, which can be quite risky.  So we continue to buy our tuna from the supermarkets which offer a fairly good selection.

They require sushi grade fish to be frozen for a reason ... UP2U

Little known fact, that people should know, but most don't.  The relationship between parasites & cancer getting started.

Runs in family, and everyone on father's side died of, except him, before reaching 60 yrs old.

I even take ivermectin as a PrEP every year or 2 or so, as one of the main anti-parasite drugs given to most cancer patients.

Many believe, less parasites, less parasite waste = less risk of cancer.

Same thinking of those NE TH gals, with the "JIC/to make sure" thinking when eating Nam Pla, to avoid liver flukes & cholangiocarcinoma (cancer).   A little PrEP (Praziquantel) never hurts every year of so.

Whether treated with chemo or radiation, IVM is usually administered also ... go figure. (scroll down to highlighted text)

Know your body, and what you put in it 😎

Edited by KhunLA

44 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

They require sushi grade fish to be frozen for a reason ... UP2U

Little known fact, that people should know, but most don't.  The relationship between parasites & cancer getting started.

Runs in family, and everyone on father's side died of, except him, before reaching 60 yrs old.

I even take ivermectin as a PrEP every year or 2 or so, as one of the main anti-parasite drugs given to most cancer patients.

Many believe, less parasites, less parasite waste = less risk of cancer.

Same thinking of those NE TH gals, with the "JIC/to make sure" thinking when eating Nam Pla, to avoid liver flukes & cholangiocarcinoma (cancer).   A little PrEP (Praziquantel) never hurts every year of so.

Whether treated with chemo or radiation, IVM is usually administered also ... go figure. (scroll down to highlighted text)

Know your body, and what you put in it 😎

Here's more anecdotal evidence, but contrary to your personal experience.

My dad lived to 87, my mother to 95.  Both ate raw fish.  Neither died from cancer. I am 84, my younger sister is 82 and my older sister is 92. None of us has or had cancer in any form. Of the three, I consume the most raw fish.  My brother lived in Germany for most of his life and did not like raw fish.  He died of bone cancer at age 76.  

Not to disagree with you, but perhaps why the lack of concern here in Hawaii.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19842365

NOTE:  Statistics from survey of doctors.  Not proof, but not anecdotal evidence,

either.

• Sad 1

On 12/27/2023 at 9:03 AM, swm59nj said:

Not in Hawaii.  Hi grade fresh ahi commands top prices.

https://www.khon2.com/local-news/keeping-traditions alive-sashimi for-the-new-year/

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2023 at 10:10 PM, Chris Daley said:

They do everything small in Japan except the prices.  A sack of rice is 100 baht.  So why is 4 cubes of sushi 60 baht?

Why would you eat wasabi with white meat?  We all know wasabi is Colman's Mustard.  And we eat that with red meat, onions and a rich gravy sauce.  The wasabi over powers the delicate fish.

So that's it?  They have two sauces, soy sauce and wasabi?  Why is the sushi scene so stuck up and pretentious.  It's just student food.

How about you?  Do you eat sushi often?

It’s clear that you haven’t tasted wasabi even once in your life. You don’t even know what it is. 
Similarly, the dipping sauce provided is just another pale imitation.