What is the origin of Thai's putting ketchup on pizza?

DudleySquat

54 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The issue is that ketchup is not tomato sauce. (though that is the way Thais and many other Asians apparently view it).

It is a condiment that is made from tomatoes, vinegar and sugar. It is in no way similar in taste to the tomato sauces used for pizza and pasta. The addition of a vingar-y condiment completely alters the taste of these foods, and not in a good way....

Actually, tomato sauce may not be tomato sauce either.

In Australia, the bulk ingredient in tomato sauce is deodorized pear and apple pulp, which is in plentiful supply. It's then flavored with tomato concentrate.

If you see a bottle of tomato sauce here with a Heinz or Rosella label on it, the odds are pretty good it's far less than 100% tomato.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

The issue is that ketchup is not tomato sauce. (though that is the way Thais and many other Asians apparently view it).

It is a condiment that is made from tomatoes, vinegar and sugar. It is in no way similar in taste to the tomato sauces used for pizza and pasta. The addition of a vingar-y condiment completely alters the taste of these foods, and not in a good way....

If anyone did that in the USA in a real Italian Pizzeria they might get thrown out. 

The reason I think they do this, is because the pizza shops always shortchange you on the sauce.  If you ask for me pizza sauce than the miserable normal volume, they offer you ketchup. 

I demand extra sauce. Always.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2023 at 1:51 PM, DudleySquat said:

If anyone did that in the USA in a real Italian Pizzeria they might get thrown out. 

The reason I think they do this, is because the pizza shops always shortchange you on the sauce.  If you ask for me pizza sauce than the miserable normal volume, they offer you ketchup. 

I demand extra sauce. Always.

If you are in the USA, then it’s not a ‘real Italian pizzeria’ 🤭