What is the origin of Thai's putting ketchup on pizza?

DudleySquat

I read elsewhere when this was asked that it was/is? common in China too.

Pre-made marinara sauce isn't readily available, storage, heat, cost, etc. Ketchup, sweeter and in a bottle full of preservatives that never goes bad.

Edited by fondue zoo

28 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

Pre-made marinara sauce isn't readily available, storage, heat, cost, etc. Ketchup, sweeter and in a bottle full of preservatives that never goes bad.

saw this when i was traveling in iran too.

35 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

A lot of what you find in China is simply copy-&-pasta.  :passifier:

Hotel/restaurant manager wants additional items on the menu, looks through some western foodie magazines, rips out a few pages, and hands them to his "chef" to recreate.

The "chef" will make a dish that looks like the item in the photo.  Spaghetti made with ketchup?  Well, it looks right............

To the title ... I'm at a loss to how that is a thing, for anyone.   Adding tomato sauce to something that already has as a main ingredient/flavoring.

Not just pizza, and seems many add tomato sauce to most western food.  

I rarely use tomato sauce on foods that it's traditionally used on.  I consider it the easiest & best way to ruin most things.  Especially the way some folks just smother their food with it.  

Same with plain mayo ... not a big fan of either.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

I think that Thais confuses Pizza sauce with tomato ketchup, but it also might add a  different flavour to the Pizza, who knows...

Definitely they conflate tomato sauce with ketchup.

And indeed many Thai "pizzas" use ketchup for this purpose . And they use it for spaghetti sauce too   :sad:

Same in Cambodia

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Definitely they conflate tomato sauce with ketchup.

And indeed many Thai "pizzas" use ketchup for this purpose . And they use it for spaghetti sauce too   :sad:

Same in Cambodia

Shocking to the palate. 

Widespread Pizza outlets was brought to Thailand by Minor group in the '90's with franchise of Pizza Hut - probably required to include the ketchup in line with company rules and Thais just assumed it was an integral part of the dish.

Edited by mokwit

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

To the title ... I'm at a loss to how that is a thing, for anyone.   Adding tomato sauce to something that already has as a main ingredient/flavoring.

Not just pizza, and seems many add tomato sauce to most western food.  

I rarely use tomato sauce on foods that it's traditionally used on.  I consider it the easiest & best way to ruin most things.  Especially the way some folks just smother their food with it.  

Same with plain mayo ... not a big fan of either.

The issue is that ketchup is not tomato sauce. (though that is the way Thais and many other Asians apparently view it).

It is a condiment that is made from tomatoes, vinegar and sugar. It is in no way similar in taste to the tomato sauces used for pizza and pasta. The addition of a vingar-y condiment completely alters the taste of these foods, and not in a good way....

They do it in Brazil as well.  In fact, some of the tomato sauces you may encounter are ketchup based in many places in the world.  Yech!

I've had slices down there that were more like open melted cheese sandwiches served on flatbread.  And if your lucky it won't taste of ketchup.

3 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Ketchup contains sugar. Most Thai people like their food sweeter.

Correct. My wife made me spaghetti arrabiata last night. She has her nephew and his girlfried staying over for new year and they wanted to try it.

They took one mouthful and said it was not sweet enough and started dosing it with ketchup.

I think if they have really good tomato sauce no additions are required, but a lot of pizza I've had here has very marginal tomato sauce. Regardless, there's no excuse for putting ketchup on pizza. My older sister used to do that when I was a kid and it would drive me crazy, even as a kid I had enough good sense to not do something like that.