Can my daughter own a car at 16 years of age?

Cricky

40 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Totally false in Thailand, my wife owns our car but has never held a car license and has no intention of getting one.

PM Note - She doesn't drive it either before anyone gets anty.

My Thai wife owned her car, but I never allowed her to drive with me in the car in town, she was so bad I was seriously terrified when she drove in traffic- once was once too many times. I only allowed her to drive on empty rural roads late at night when returning from the village. She bought one with a manual box, but kept trying to put it into reverse instead of 5th.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, freeworld said:

No.

To drive the car a driving license is required and that can only be obtained at 18 years of age.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_minimum_driving_ages

Vehicle Registration

After purchasing a car, you must register it with the Department of Land Transport (DLT). It involves submitting the following documents:

– Your identy doc
– A copy of your driving license
– Proof of ownership (the sales contract or car registration papers)
– The car’s tax certificate
– Car insurance papers

The DLT will issue a car registration book, and you will receive two number plates for your car.

Meanwhile, in 'real world' Thailand...

Not arguing the Thai laws and the regulations. Just stating that like most all Thai laws and regulations, they can handily be bypassed without penalty.

Edited by NanLaew

1 hour ago, novacova said:

A lot of people in TH who can’t drive own cars, I see it every day. A lot of car owners in TH don’t have a DL. 

That's why they leg it after an accident 😨

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

Simply not true, I had a GF many years ago who did not have a license to drive, out of naivety back then I brought the car in her Name, she stole it with her brother who had a License and sold it the next day, to pay off her mothers gambling debts. 

I do not believe it is true either.. hence I was questioning the person that claims it is.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, freeworld said:

A copy of your driving license

Not true

1 hour ago, freeworld said:

Car insurance papers

What insurance papers, mandatory insurance is from the tax disc, and that stays with the car, new owner or not. Unless it is a new car or you want to register it in a different province you already have 2 number plates.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Totally false in Thailand, my wife owns our car but has never held a car license and has no intention of getting one.

PM Note - She doesn't drive it either before anyone gets anty.

He's right, a car is just an asset anyone can own it. Driving it illegally that's another matter but many Thais do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

People that do not have a licence are not allowed to own a car ?

That is not true. You can own a car and have friend or relative drive you around. Or employ a chauffeur.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cricky said:

I can't remember ever handing over my drivers/riders license for any of the vehicles (cars or bikes) I've bought.

The dealers has only asked for CofR

Neither can I.

But:

Latest motorbike purchase - 19 December 2023 Honda dealer had a checklist of documents for me to provide:

Passport, ID Card & yellow house book (or letter from Immigration), Thai motorcycle licence.

I changed dealer due to a better deal, but the first one (also Honda) had the same checklist for purchase.

As they will complete the new vehicle registration on my behalf I presume that's the current requirements. 

Last one I bought was 2013 don't remember what they needed back then.

Maybe like the new bank requirements things have changed recently? There does seem quite an obsession with proof of identity lately. As others have mentioned I don't see why an owner should necessarily hold a licence, but that was my experience two weeks ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

But the OP doesn't want her to have a motorbike, he wants her to have a car.

BTW, can a Thai corporation have a Thai driving licence?

Why would it need one? 

10 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

People that do not have a licence are not allowed to own a car ?

Until quite recently, my wife's daughter, who is 33 owned a car that she inherited off her late father. She does not have a license, nor can she drive, so her partner, who does have a license, did all the driving, but nonetheless, the car was registered in the daughter's name.

11 hours ago, Cricky said:

My daughter is turning 16 this month. ... I'd like to buy her a car.

Can I register and insure the car in her name, she is only 16?

It could be registered in her name, doubt that any insurance company would offer her cover for driving illegally, though.

1 hour ago, gomangosteen said:

Neither can I.

But:

Latest motorbike purchase - 19 December 2023 Honda dealer had a checklist of documents for me to provide:

Passport, ID Card & yellow house book (or letter from Immigration), Thai motorcycle licence.

I changed dealer due to a better deal, but the first one (also Honda) had the same checklist for purchase.

As they will complete the new vehicle registration on my behalf I presume that's the current requirements. 

Last one I bought was 2013 don't remember what they needed back then.

Maybe like the new bank requirements things have changed recently? There does seem quite an obsession with proof of identity lately. As others have mentioned I don't see why an owner should necessarily hold a licence, but that was my experience two weeks ago.

I brought a new motorbike for my wife Oh dear LAST year, paid cash she had no license and it's in her name, she drove it home on red plates. Got the real plates weeks later.

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Until quite recently, my wife's daughter, who is 33 owned a car that she inherited off her late father. She does not have a license, nor can she drive, so her partner, who does have a license, did all the driving, but nonetheless, the car was registered in the daughter's name.

Yeah already knew Still Kicking was just posting his usual trollish bull<deleted>.

Not sure why forum members do that, must be some sort of weird sexual fetish.

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's wrong, not having the legal ability to drive does not prevent that person from registering a car in their name.

Thankyou for quoting me and also editing my post.

If you bother to read you would understand my pot was a question to another member claiming that one cannot own a car if they do not have a licence.

can only assume you are trolling... are you eyes are painted on.

5 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Some years back (6 or 7) one of my Thai staff wanted to buy a car, in her name, for her parents. She was in her mid 20s but did not have a DL. Once the dealer (I think it was Nissan, somewhere in Chumphon) found out she didn't have a DL, they wouldn't sell her the car. Go figure.

Go figure if that unlikely tale is true. 

Why would any dealer, or salesman on commission, turn down a sale for a reason that didn't prevent him from making the sale?

5 hours ago, freeworld said:

Vehicle Registration

After purchasing a car, you must register it with the Department of Land Transport (DLT). It involves submitting the following documents:

– Your identy doc
– A copy of your driving license
– Proof of ownership (the sales contract or car registration papers)
– The car’s tax certificate
– Car insurance papers

The DLT will issue a car registration book, and you will receive two number plates for your car.

Where did you get that partially incorrect information from.   A DL is not required to be the registered owner of a car. 

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Where did you get that partially incorrect information from.   A DL is not required to be the registered owner of a car. 

yes I know and have oft been corrected.

Quoted  from some website on Thailand and registering a car, unfortunately could not edit the post to correct it past a certain time.

12 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:
15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's wrong, not having the legal ability to drive does not prevent that person from registering a car in their name.

Thankyou for quoting me and also editing my post.

You're welcome but I did not edit your post, I quoted the relevant part  directly and accurately.

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

You're welcome but I did not edit your post, I quoted the relevant part  directly and accurately.

You removed the question mark, That is editing my post.

My post was a question (the question mark you removed ?) directed to the person I quoted.

go annoy someone else you fool.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, still kicking said:

I guess not since the legal age to drive a car is 18

The car that I drive is in my sons name. He is 11. The ex would not put in my name when we separated. She put it in his name with no problems from the local DLT office. He was 9 when it happened.

Edited by ripstanley

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Here's a very simple question @Cricky. Why not ask the DLT? You're only going to get one answer from them. The correct one.

It may not be the correct (legal) one, but it will be the one applied by that office/officer.

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:
1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Here's a very simple question @Cricky. Why not ask the DLT? You're only going to get one answer from them. The correct one.

31 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

It may not be the correct (legal) one, but it will be the one applied by that office/officer.

Give me one good reason why the answer from an official source at the DLT should not be correct.