Can my daughter own a car at 16 years of age?

Cricky

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Give me one good reason why the answer from an official source at the DLT should not be correct.

Poorly trained staff that try to save face by giving some answer.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

Poorly trained staff that try to save face by giving some answer.

That certainly hasn't been in evidence during the three visits that I've made to DLT over the last ten years. In fact on the last visit I made to Sakon Nakhon, just following the Covid difficulties, they were very helpful indeed.

On what are you basing your comment?

• Agree 1

On the issue of car insurance, I entered details for a 16-year old girl on a Thai car insurance website to see if I could insure a car (voluntary vehicle insurance, not por ror bor) for a 16-year old. It accepted all the information I entered about the person and the car until it got to the age of the person. It would not let me continue until the age of the girl was 18. It would not accept 15, 16 or 17. 

https://insure.roojai.com/#/quotationInput

11 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Not true

What insurance papers, mandatory insurance is from the tax disc, and that stays with the car, new owner or not. Unless it is a new car or you want to register it in a different province you already have 2 number plates.

"tax disk"

LOL

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Cricky said:

On the issue of needing a driving licence to register a vehicle, I have bought and registered in my name three vehicles in Thailand (the last one was in 2023) and I never had to show my licence or provide a photocopy of it. My wife has never had to either when registering her vehicles. The DLT does not list a driving licence as a requirement for registering a new vehicle and there is no requirement to show evidence of a licence when transferring ownership of a car to another person.  See below. 

Thailand-Registering a new car-DLT-1.jpg

Edited by asf6
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, asf6 said:

On the issue of car insurance, I entered details for a 16-year old girl on a Thai car insurance website to see if I could insure a car (voluntary vehicle insurance, not por ror bor) for a 16-year old. It accepted all the information I entered about the person and the car until it got to the age of the person. It would not let me continue until the age of the girl was 18. It would not accept 15, 16 or 17. 

https://insure.roojai.com/#/quotationInput

Since the OP has not mentioned anything about insurance, what's the relevance here?

PS: Don't talk about what's legal or otherwise. We are in Thailand after all.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Since the OP has not mentioned anything about insurance, what's the relevance here?

It appears you have not fully read the OP. 

"My daughter is turning 16 this month. She would like to buy a motorbike, showing me photos of different motorbikes, it scares me. I'd like to buy her a car.

Can I register and insure the car in her name, she is only 16?"

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:
8 hours ago, asf6 said:

10 hours ago, NanLaew said:

What a nonsense statement. If the OP wasn't concerned about the legality of car ownership, he wouldn't have raised this topic in the first place would he. Duh!

17 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Give me one good reason why the answer from an official source at the DLT should not be correct.

Here's two.

I was told foreigners cannot have Pink Card ID No. on your driving license, must be Passport Number, have friends who have received licenses from same office showing Pink Card No.

Friend was told that Yellow Book could not be used as proof of address, must get a Certificate of Residence from Immigration, I have been in the Yellow book for over 18years and have always used it without problem at the same office.

12 hours ago, asf6 said:
12 hours ago, NanLaew said:

It appears you have not fully read the OP. 

"My daughter is turning 16 this month. She would like to buy a motorbike, showing me photos of different motorbikes, it scares me. I'd like to buy her a car.

Can I register and insure the car in her name, she is only 16?"

I stand (sitting, actually) corrected.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

What a nonsense statement. If the OP wasn't concerned about the legality of car ownership, he wouldn't have raised this topic in the first place would he. Duh!

At the risk of getting my ass handed to me (again), I went back and looked at the OP.

On 1/1/2024 at 3:54 AM, Cricky said:

I'd like to buy her a car.

Can I register and insure the car in her name, she is only 16?

Nope. Absolutely no mention of interest in doing this legally or otherwise. The OP appears to be interested solely in registration and insurance.

• Sad 1

On 1/1/2024 at 4:12 AM, Ralf001 said:

People that do not have a licence are not allowed to own a car ?

Yes can own a car, no need for a licence. All our cars and first class insurance have always been in my Thai wife's name. She's never had and never wants a licence but not problem buying a car or insurance. I'm noted on the insurance policies as the "named driver", this saves on premiums. The insurance company take a copy of my licence annually.

22 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

At the risk of getting my ass handed to me (again), I went back and looked at the OP.

Nope. Absolutely no mention of interest in doing this legally or otherwise. The OP appears to be interested solely in registration and insurance.

So when someone comes on the forum and asks how to do something, by your logic, unless they specifically ask how to do it 'legally', one can assume there's an option!

Some people's 'logic' defies all logic.

27 minutes ago, Just Curious said:

The insurance company take a copy of my licence annually.

Interesting, mine doesn't.

Infact I do not recall actually giving them a copy to begin with !

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Interesting, mine doesn't.

Infact I do not recall actually giving them a copy to begin with !

Maybe because I usually pop into their office to pay (it's convenient to do so for me). Who knows? All good, it's not concern.

19 minutes ago, Just Curious said:

Maybe because I usually pop into their office to pay (it's convenient to do so for me). Who knows? All good, it's not concern.

Yeah might be that.

My vehicle(s) insurance are all done online.

Possible I did show licence at first policy but I do not have a copy in my car insurance folders so I do not think I did.

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

So when someone comes on the forum and asks how to do something, by your logic, unless they specifically ask how to do it 'legally', one can assume there's an option!

Some people's 'logic' defies all logic.

Sure beats the 'logic' of certain forum members offering up answers to unasked questions along with all sorts of irelevant opinions and experiences that nobody's interested in, including the OP.