New year, new state laws: From minimum wage to gender-affirming care

CharlieH

28 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Because millions of people suffering longterm disability

Yeah right , I even know a few of them, most of which spend their time at the gym or in Wetherspoons,  or working on the sly.  Refreshingly some have had their benefits cut or stopped and have now returned to work.      Your sort would have us believe that we live in a country populated predominantly by the weak the lame and the blind.   How on earth did we ever run an empire, without importing thousands of immigrants to do it all for us?

36 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

An even simpler fact is that there are too many people coming to the UK.  and most of them are not qualified to work  in the NHS or anywhere else , except delivering fast food.

Of all people aged 16 years and over, 55.9% of those born in the UK were in employment, compared with 70.8% of those born in the EU and 58.0% among those born in non-EU countries; restricting to those aged 16 to 64 years, 71.2% of those born in the UK were in employment, compared with 78.2% of those born in the EU and 64.9% of those born in non-EU countries.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/articles/migrationandthelabourmarketenglandandwales/census2021

Edited by candide

1 hour ago, candide said:

Of all people aged 16 years and over, 55.9% of those born in the UK were in employment, compared with 70.8% of those born in the EU and 58.0% among those born in non-EU countries; restricting to those aged 16 to 64 years, 71.2% of those born in the UK were in employment, compared with 78.2% of those born in the EU and 64.9% of those born in non-EU countries.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/articles/migrationandthelabourmarketenglandandwales/census2021

I didn't mention the EU.   but anyway  your point is ? 

Edited by Bday Prang

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

amazing isn't it ,  in their own countries they choose to build their villages miles away from the nearest water source and we are pestered for charity contributions to help them, and then when they get to the UK they choose to settle as far from suitable work as they can 

Ignorance can be fixed, I suggest you give it a try.

50 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Ignorance can be fixed, I suggest you give it a try.

I would love to, but I am far to busy, and don't have the time or the patience or the language skills required to educate them

6 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

I didn't mention the EU.   but anyway  your point is ? 

My point is that foreigners (both EU and non EU in my post) have a higher employment rate than UK born, which means that, by paying taxes and national insurance contributions, they contribute proportionally more to the NHS than UK born.

40 minutes ago, candide said:

My point is that foreigners (both EU and non EU in my post) have a higher employment rate than UK born, which means that, by paying taxes and national insurance contributions, they contribute proportionally more to the NHS than UK born.

so lets repopulate with foreigners then and send all the indigenous brits to Rwanda,  problem solved

1 hour ago, Bday Prang said:

so lets repopulate with foreigners then and send all the indigenous brits to Rwanda,  problem solved

Deflection. The employment rate of foreigners contradicts the claim that they are an economic burden. Feel free to make realistic suggestions about how to increase the employment rate of natives

6 hours ago, candide said:

Deflection. The employment rate of foreigners contradicts the claim that they are an economic burden. Feel free to make realistic suggestions about how to increase the employment rate of natives

i have no interest in finding employment for them, in the same way that immigration here has no interest in finding work for those who fail to meet the financial requirements. I would prefer it if they returned to where they came from

On 1/8/2024 at 7:01 PM, JonnyF said:

Chicken and egg. Without such huge immigration numbers the strain on the NHS would be much less. 

I do support bringing skilled workers such as surgeons though. For unskilled work like cleaners, I'd reduce/remove unemployment benefits for those fit to work so they had no choice but to take such positions. There is no need to import unskilled workers with over a million unemployed. 

Those "cleaners" were not much good at it. I had an op involving an overnight stay, so observed the ward while there. The bed next to me had been cleaned around it, but underneath was filthy.

During a more serious op I had a week stay and the showers were never cleaned properly, and our lockers not once in the evening while I was there. Big drop in standards since I worked on the wards.

The problem with making locals do menial jobs is that they are more trouble than they are worth. In NZ they prefer to import fruit pickers than have the local lazy people, as the lazy locals damage too much fruit when picking. That's what "modern thinking" has done to society. When I was young there were basically no unemployed at all, but now the place is full of layabouts sponging off other people.

• Agree 1

On 1/8/2024 at 9:00 PM, Bday Prang said:

How on earth did we ever run an empire, without importing thousands of immigrants to do it all for us?

IMO WW1 killed off most of the clever ones, who were sent to lead the charge armed with a revolver ( uni students were in demand as lieutenants ), and it's just been a long slow spiral to doom ever since. As evidence that our societies now lack intelligence I give you PC and multiple genders.

• Agree 1

On 1/9/2024 at 1:38 AM, candide said:

simply remove the benefits available for those who refuse to work,  It really isn't rocket science

On 1/8/2024 at 3:00 PM, Bday Prang said:

Yeah right , I even know a few of them, most of which spend their time at the gym or in Wetherspoons,  or working on the sly.  Refreshingly some have had their benefits cut or stopped and have now returned to work.      Your sort would have us believe that we live in a country populated predominantly by the weak the lame and the blind.   How on earth did we ever run an empire, without importing thousands of immigrants to do it all for us?

Well, for one thing, UK citizens had more children back then.

image.png.9698feedd689de953ca07c243c083ab8.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/284042/fertility-rate-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/#:~:text=Total fertility rate in the UK 1961-2021&text=In 2021%2C the total fertility,per woman recorded in 1964.

With the consequence being

image.png.e21e6f2400d54809ec3e26b9e5fecbb0.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/275394/median-age-of-the-population-in-the-united-kingdom/

On 1/15/2024 at 2:54 PM, Bday Prang said:

simply remove the benefits available for those who refuse to work,  It really isn't rocket science

Singapore had the right idea in the 70s ( I don't know what they do now ). They made the ones that didn't have jobs go cut grass with a backpack mower.

Just cutting benefits without providing jobs only likely to lead to increased crime and gangs, IMO.

Singapore also didn't have any tolerance for crime and punished criminals severely, which is something obviously lacking in western countries today.

• Agree 1