Thai driver’s fueling video in Malaysia sparks digital outcry, prompts complaints to Malaysian PM

11 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So by your way of thinking Malaysians filling up here should only pay Malaysian price? 

Malaysians filling up here pay the same price as everyone else. Thais filling up in Malaysia pay the same price as Malaysians. They are just not allowed to fill up with 95 benzene as that’s subsidised by the government and only available for Malaysians. How difficult is that to understand?

7 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

First I'm hearing that high-octane petrol can damage an engine. I learnt the opposite, ie. that "premium" fuel won't hurt your engine but might be waste of money if you're not driving a high-performance vehicle.

Now if you put E10 in your older car instead of 100% petrol then that might be an issue. 

I think you will find that vehicle manufacturers go to great lengths tuning their engine to run on certain fuel air mix and when you change one of the mixture yes it will effect the engine management system which in turn will effect or cause damage to the engine and its management system. Gone are the days of plugs and points. Engines now are finally balanced.  But hay ho so many experts on here. Ever wondered why there is a sticker telling you which fuel to buy next to the hole to put the fuel in? Maybe just a guide.... lol

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, BritScot said:

I think you will find that vehicle manufacturers go to great lengths tuning their engine to run on certain fuel air mix and when you change one of the mixture yes it will effect the engine management system which in turn will effect or cause damage to the engine and its management system. Gone are the days of plugs and points. Engines now are finally balanced.  But hay ho so many experts on here. Ever wondered why there is a sticker telling you which fuel to buy next to the hole to put the fuel in? Maybe just a guide.... lol

Are you saying that if my car can run on gasohol 91, putting in gasohol 95 or 95 premium could actually damage my engine?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, 2baht said:

Build a wall....a big, beautiful wall!

Actually the Thais did start building a wall to run along the Thai-Malay border about 30 years ago. Never completed and only a short stretch was built and possibly still remains.

9 hours ago, reefsurfah said:

Ridiculous, maybe she was fueling to get  home?  

If that's the only thing the Malaysian lady has to complain about she's very lucky indeed.

More time on her hands that common sense.

• Agree 2

34 minutes ago, scorecard said:

If that's the only thing the Malaysian lady has to complain about she's very lucky indeed.

Who is this Malaysian lady and how does she feature in this topic?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Malaysians filling up here pay the same price as everyone else. Thais filling up in Malaysia pay the same price as Malaysians. They are just not allowed to fill up with 95 benzene as that’s subsidised by the government and only available for Malaysians. How difficult is that to understand?

They must be following Thailand on there Double pricing, Thais 20b foreigners 200b it seems to be a SE Asian thing. Healthcare I can understand by the way.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, bobandyson said:

Actually the Thais did start building a wall to run along the Thai-Malay border about 30 years ago. Never completed and only a short stretch was built and possibly still remains.

Not enough kick backs to be had, it would probably have collapsed by now anyway.

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

They must be following Thailand on there Double pricing, Thais 20b foreigners 200b it seems to be a SE Asian thing. Healthcare I can understand by the way.

No. You can be from Mars for all they car. It’s all down to the car registration. Singapore is a lot worse. If you’re a Singaporean or a PR but caught driving a Malaysian registered car, you would be fined. For example, a Malaysian visits his friend in Singapore and they go out for dinner. The Singaporean is not allowed to drive the Malaysian registered car. The Malaysian has to drive and be directed by either GPS or the Singaporean.

2 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

No. You can be from Mars for all they car. It’s all down to the car registration. Singapore is a lot worse. If you’re a Singaporean or a PR but caught driving a Malaysian registered car, you would be fined. For example, a Malaysian visits his friend in Singapore and they go out for dinner. The Singaporean is not allowed to drive the Malaysian registered car. The Malaysian has to drive and be directed by either GPS or the Singaporean.

I was not referring to Fuel but to entrance fees, most whould understand that by my 20b 200b comment

6 hours ago, John Drake said:

How is she supposed to know this? Are there signs in Thai?

Bingo, she was near KL, do you expect Malay signs in Bkk?.  It says also, “Petronas staff helped fill up the tank”.  So if anything, the staff should have told her and it looks like she has never done this before since in Thailand they have staff that does this.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Yes, there are 'experts' on here. The fuel octane rating has no impact on the air/fuel ratio. Increasing the octane rating of a fuel reduces its propensity to detonate (knock). Detonation can cause engine damage. The sticker on the fuel filler therefore indicates the minimum octane fuel that should be used. A higher octane will cause no problems. Certain engines (depending upon design and their control system) may perform a little better on a higher octane fuel. 97 can therefore be used where 95 is the minimum recommendation.

I would disagree. The fuel management system is very finally ballanced and any changes however small require it to be reset (dyno). This is fact. However you can run your car on high octane fuel but damage will occur eventually if on day one you use non recommended fuel (running rich) which the engine is not ballanced for. The same with all those you see using lpg because it saves a few baht. The dangers for the engine is very simple most of them are not designed to run that hot. Again yes it will work with a conversion but you take your life in you hand and the hands of "I've got a spanner so I'm a mechanic".

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/5/2024 at 6:27 PM, BritScot said:

manufacturers go to great lengths tuning their engine to run on certain fuel air mix and when you change one of the mixture yes it will effect the engine management system which in turn will effect or cause damage to the engine and its management system ... But hay ho so many experts on here.

Octane rating does not alter the fuel/air mix.   But hay ho so many experts on here.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

On 1/5/2024 at 7:49 PM, Gweiloman said:
On 1/5/2024 at 7:15 PM, scorecard said:

Who is this Malaysian lady and how does she feature in this topic?

The one making the recording of the illegal fill-up.

On 1/6/2024 at 4:35 PM, BritScot said:

The fuel management system is very finally ballanced and any changes however small require it to be reset (dyno). This is fact. However you can run your car on high octane fuel but damage will occur eventually if on day one you use non recommended fuel (running rich) which the engine is not ballanced for.

"Hay [sic] ho so many experts on here".

Rich running is caused by too much fuel/too little air, not by the octane of the petrol.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The one making the recording of the illegal fill-up.

From the article, it was a guy who filmed it. No mention of any Malaysian lady but never mind. Trivial point.

Edited by Gweiloman