Thai driver’s fueling video in Malaysia sparks digital outcry, prompts complaints to Malaysian PM

1 hour ago, foreverlomsak said:

It's quite possible she was Malaysian using a car bought in Thailand therefore she had every right to use the 95 octane fuel.

Or if she was Thai and on holiday she will need to fuel a number of times, and it's possible that the car has problems with 95 grade fuel, so it means no use of the car or destroy the engine.

"It's quite possible she was Malaysian using a car bought in Thailand therefore she had every right to use the 95 octane fuel".

Highly unlikely.

"Or if she was Thai and on holiday she will need to fuel a number of times, and it's possible that the car has problems with 95 grade fuel, so it means no use of the car or destroy the engine".

So why would she have been filling up with subsidised 95 if it would destroy her engine when the non-engine destroying 97 was available?

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:
1 hour ago, Lemsta69 said:

She didn't pay full price, which was the Malaysian chap's issue. Did you not read the article? 

I didn't read the article

If you didn't read the article how did you know that she was in Selangor?...

2 hours ago, In the jungle said:

The Malaysian 'netizen' is a fool.

She is in Selangor which is hundreds of kilometres from the Malaysian border.

Is she supposed to push her car back to Thailand?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If you didn't read the article how did you know that she was in Selangor?...

Because the original post says that she was in Selangor!

I guess you didn't bother reading it.

• Sad 1

Oh em gee

Travesty.

But if you are a foreigner in another country, how are you supposed to know of this subsidised petrol. I never heard of it. 

Staff didn't do their job properly or this "law" is simply not enforced.

Another freak with a camera phone.

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

The boarder towns Thais do it all the time especially at Sadao, 

Malaysian petrol stations near the border don't serve Thai registered vehicles, you have to drive away from the border before you can but fuel. 

Edited by Stocky
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Malaysian petrol stations near the border don't serve Thai registered vehicles, you have to drive away from the border before you can but fuel. 

I have fuelled up with 97 octane and a Thai registered vehicle near the border just fine a year ago.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The clip, posted on the X account of “MALAYSIA Most Viral”, is believed to have been taken by a Malaysian waiting in line to refuel his own car. The caption read, ‘She is stealing gas subsidised by Malaysian people. What I understand the least is why Petronas staff helped fill up the tank.’

And you thought Thais are xenophobes? This Malaysian takes it to a new level

3 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

She didn't pay full price, which was the Malaysian chap's issue. Did you not read the article? 

Nonsense. She was in Malaysia and paid the full Malaysian price. Where did read that she didn't? Should vehicles with a non-Malaysian registration pay a different price? And as another has said, maybe she was on her way home and needed to fill up. Seems that Malaysia has its racists too. Malaysian fuel for Malaysians!

3 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

The USA doesn't subsidise gas/petrol/benzene.

Not so fast on the draw, Tex. First, you would need to recognize the tax business deductions given by the USA to the oil industry …

It’s amazing how so many are unable to comprehend and understand a straightforward article. Living in a country with an average 86 IQ must be having its effect.

This lady is either silly or inexperienced. When I fill up my Thai registered vehicle in Malaysia, I do it during off peak hours (usually at night). Also, I choose the last kiosk, out of sight of the store attendant. I never fill up at a station where there is a pump attendant. I also open my trunk so that if there’s another vehicle behind me, they can’t see my number plate. I get my gf to rummage in the boot, pretending to look for something to allay suspicions as to why my boot is open. If there is no one behind, then I get her to stand in front of the vehicle to block the registration plate in case the store attendant is looking out at my car.

Knowledge, experience and intelligence plays a big part when you want to get the better of the government. I’m thinking of doing something about my number plates next time I go to Malaysia.

• Confused 3
  • Love It 1

57 minutes ago, ignore it said:

The most surprising thing is that she actually got out of her car and knew how to pump gas.

From the OP:  "What I understand the least is why Petronas staff helped fill up the tank."

5 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Why would you let foreigners cross the border to fill up on state-subsidised fuel if they aren't paying taxes in your jurisdiction?

This person was allowed to do it....Thai license plate and all...

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

It’s amazing how so many are unable to comprehend and understand a straightforward article. Living in a country with an average 86 IQ must be having its effect.

This lady is either silly or inexperienced. When I fill up my Thai registered vehicle in Malaysia, I do it during off peak hours (usually at night). Also, I choose the last kiosk, out of sight of the store attendant. I never fill up at a station where there is a pump attendant. I also open my trunk so that if there’s another vehicle behind me, they can’t see my number plate. I get my gf to rummage in the boot, pretending to look for something to allay suspicions as to why my boot is open. If there is no one behind, then I get her to stand in front of the vehicle to block the registration plate in case the store attendant is looking out at my car.

Knowledge, experience and intelligence plays a big part when you want to get the better of the government. I’m thinking of doing something about my number plates next time I go to Malaysia.

Is that called cheating??

3 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Is that called cheating??

Absolutely hahaha. I have no qualms though as parts of the Malaysian government (police, immigration) has stolen lots from me too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Firstly its the licence plate that is relevant, not the nationality of the driver. Only Malaysian-plated cars can fill up with state-subsidised 95 octane.  For example, a Malaysian-registered rental car driven by a foreigner can fill up with 95, but a Malaysian driving a Thai-registered car cannot.

Secondly, there is no fuel compatibility issue because any car requiring 95 will run at least as good on 97, with no risk of engine damage.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, In the jungle said:

The Malaysian 'netizen' is a fool.

She is in Selangor which is hundreds of kilometres from the Malaysian border.

Is she supposed to push her car back to Thailand?

5 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

Yes I did read the article. She paid the pump price which is what she should have paid.

5 hours ago, CDG931 said:

She was 300km from the Thai border. What was she supposed to do? Bring her own fuel from thailand in jerrycans?

The real story here is how bigoted some Malaysian netizens really are. 

UK tourists stock up on large quantities of wine and beer when they visit France. Nobody has any issues with this. What's the problem?

map.png

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Nonsense. She was in Malaysia and paid the full Malaysian price. Where did read that she didn't? Should vehicles with a non-Malaysian registration pay a different price? And as another has said, maybe she was on her way home and needed to fill up. Seems that Malaysia has its racists too. Malaysian fuel for Malaysians!

‘Foreign license plate vehicles can refuel at gas stations in Malaysia, but only with benzene 97, not benzene 95, which is subsidized by the Malaysian taxpayer.”

Which part of the above didn’t you all understand?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Gas prices in Malaysia are much lower than in Thailand. Foreign license plate vehicles can refuel at gas stations in Malaysia, but only with benzene 97, not benzene 95, which is subsidized by the Malaysian taxpayer.

How is she supposed to know this? Are there signs in Thai?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

The USA doesn't subsidise gas/petrol/benzene.

It does but not directly at the pump. US spends $20.5 billion annually of which 80% goes to oil and gas in the form of tax deductions and exemptions. Direct subsidies go to fossil fuel exploration, extraction and development. 

Indirectly, the US spends $81 billion annually through its military to protect oil supplies worldwide.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, John Drake said:

How is she supposed to know this? Are there signs in Thai?

The onus is on you to know the rules of the country you are visiting. It doesn’t make sense for every petrol station in the country to put up signs stating this regulation. And even if they did, chances are that the signs would’ve been in Malay and possibly English. You can argue it’s not fair but it is what it is. Potentially, both the offender and in this case the petrol station owner are subject to fines. 

7 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

So by your way of thinking Malaysians filling up here should only pay Malaysian price? 

• Confused 2