Buying a hat in Pattaya.

roger101

You want a European Style hat but at a reasonable price. There is a bit of contradiction in that. A hat that you desire might only be available at a higher level store - probably expensive. Otherwise just use a Thai bamboo hat that the rice farmers use available in Vietnamese Style (like a conus) or with a flat top.

Maybe you try first at Central. There might be tailors that offer a hat as well. Good luck.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I just tried Lazada and input "wide brim hat men" and all sorts of weird and wonderful hats came up.

How about this one? 😅

Screenshot_20240105_135546_Lazada.jpg

I didn't think of putting wide brim into search just golf hats. I found what I wanted in women's wide-brim hats. I have a small head 6 7/8ths in old money and none of the men's sizes were small enough.

47 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

why a hat due to cataracts? wouldn't that require sunglasses? a hat protects against skin damage.

Personally i use a golf cap when playing golf, got a sowing lady to put a flap at the back to protect my neck, works well

Most glasses are open at top so perhaps to shade that area?  Anyhow Lazada has many types of hats available.

https://www.lazada.co.th/tag/hat/?q=hat&catalog_redirect_tag=true

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Cycling sunglasses are excellent at blocking Sun from the top

But maybe not what one would want full time in the heat of Thailand.

4 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Search for tactical military hats on lazada.

Military/cooling/fishing.  But then again you may not be a hat person and try to forget to wear once bought.  And indeed the reed hats that most Thai wear when in the sun work fine and you will find them for sale almost everywhere if just using for walks.

Edited by lopburi3

I got a wide briimmed hat at a reasonable price from shop on Soi 15, j/w Second Road; 2 minutes northward from Second Road on righthand side. I hope that helps (about half the price of anywhere else if I recall).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are sooo many good curved designs for protective sunglasses and am surpised a doctor would first suggest just a hat which is better for protecting the ears and face but not the eyes.

How about a decent pair of polaroids?

Just for a smile, did you see pics of the 2 lady chinese? tourists who chose  woven rice cooking baskets for a hat and were walking in a soi market place and oblivious about all the pics being taken. :jap:

Edited by Jing Joe
edit

15 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Cycling sunglasses are excellent at blocking Sun from the top

I would have thought a baseball cap (put on the right way around, not moron style), along with sun glasses , would do the job well enough. Can maybe get down soi Pothole without getting called out!

• Like 1

There are some shops on the outside of the big market on Theppasit Road selling hats for farm and out door work.  I bought some at a shop on right hand side when facing the market  from Theppasit road.   Don't remember the cost but there were not very expensive.

18 hours ago, roger101 said:

The Doctor at BPH told me to wear a hat when out (possible cataracts). So I looked at Decathlon and Lazada, but virtually all they have are baseball caps (which I already have). I want a hat with a brim all round. So where is the place to look for a selection of hats at a reasonable price?

Decathlon have hats of all types including bush style trekking hats with UV protection. did you look on there website and search for men's hats. 

18 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Go to the mall, go to any department store, go to Tesco, go to any night market, go to the 20-baht store, go to a shop selling garden supplies, go to Homepro, go to any tourist shop across from the beach......

Or gosh, maybe try searching for "hat with brim" on Lazada....

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=hat+with+brim&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.home-th.search.go.11257f6d4S4Iqq

The very first hat in the list...฿65.00

UV protection wide brim hiking hat with chin strap

9b78e2436b75de53b66e70c09a1e5f00.jpg_220

Nice hat, plenty of ventilation too.

20 hours ago, roger101 said:

So where is the place to look for a selection of hats at a reasonable price?

A friend just bought from the "night market" roughly opposite Central on 2nd Road - said there were quite a few shops selling so was able to bargain on price.

5 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Why not?

Some cyclists wear them full time riding on black asphalt in the heat of Thailand.

And that is to keep objects out of eyes - and they are a distinct minority.  Most do not even wear a helmet.  

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

And that is to keep objects out of eyes - and they are a distinct minority.  Most do not even wear a helmet.  

Some wear clear glasses, standard or cycling, to prevent debris falling into their eyes.  Cycling sunglasses can then serve two functions.

The point being cycling glasses are designed such that high temperatures are not problematic.  Other than during periods of extremely high humidity, they are comfortable for long periods of high exertion.

Surely wearing them while ambling down the sidewalk won't be uncomfortable.