Monk Dies, 37 People Injured after Bus Crash in Northeastern Thailand

webfact

image.jpeg

Sakon Nakhon – A monk has been pronounced dead at the scene while 37 other people have sustained injuries after a truck with a driver traveling the wrong direction collided with a bus in Sakon Nakhon.

Emergency responders were notified of the accident on Monday (January 8th) on the Nittayo Sakhon Nakhon – Nakhon Phanom Road in Baan Noramai, Kusuman district.

They arrived at the scene to find the damaged truck on the road. The truck driver, Mr. Seksan Lansaesatha, 47, was not injured. He admitted to law enforcement that he was driving the opposite way in the wrong lane before colliding with the bus which had the right of way and was traveling in the proper lane.

By Goongnang Suksawat

PHOTO: Kamhom Rescue Team

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-01-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 4
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, webfact said:

He admitted to law enforcement that he was driving the opposite way in the wrong lane before colliding with the bus which had the right of way and was traveling in the proper lane.

Manslaughter minimum 10 years.

Ohh and sack the useless transport minister, replace him with someone competent.

• Thanks 1

It is called    L A W   E N F O R C E M E N T

If someone comes up the wrong side of the road, confiscate the driving license, put a juicy official fine against receipt and that should teach them a lesson. In more "civilized" motor vehicle environments, this is not an issue ........ but Thailand has always done everything different to the rest of the world and, in most cases, got away with it !

• Sad 1

You need look both ways before entering a one way street also if you are at the front of the line when the light turns green you definitely need to look both ways and watch for motor cycles coming through on the inside. Remember these and you will most probably be OK driving in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Until the Thai Police actually enforce the laws on the roads, rather than just turn up after the accident, nothing will change in Thailand.  

Maybe it will. Slightly, when strict cannabis laws will be implemented.

On the other hand by lower the price of alcohol people will consume more.

We'll come always to the point that laws in Thailand are made to get away with some ridiculous fines in these cases. It's the system which should be changed. Police shouldn't decide about fines and get a share or judging about a case. It's court's task. Long way to go I suppose.🙏

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

From the look of it, its not even a duel carriage way, which is the normal reason idiots drive the wrong way 'coz the don't want to drive up to a U turn and back, so why was this prat driving on the wrong side, what possible reason could he have had?

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Until the Thai Police actually enforce the laws on the roads, rather than just turn up after the accident, nothing will change in Thailand.  

How will the kids get to school? 4 on a motorbike waved in by the police,

3 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

Maybe it will. Slightly, when strict cannabis laws will be implemented.

On the other hand by lower the price of alcohol people will consume more.

We'll come always to the point that laws in Thailand are made to get away with some ridiculous fines in these cases. It's the system which should be changed. Police shouldn't decide about fines and get a share or judging about a case. It's court's task. Long way to go I suppose.🙏

"Its the Court's task."  That logic is real - but it does not apply in Thailand.  The Laws are such that it is the Police who get to decide first - not the Courts. Matters only go to Court when both sides in such a situation cannot reach an agreement 'managed' by the Police, or if the Police decide to send the matter to a Court for sentencing.  Notice I said 'sentencing' not for determination of 'guilt'. In Thailand (in most situations) the defendent is not assumed innocent until proven guilty. They have to either prove their innocence, or they must claim they are exmept, or it is not applicable, or some technicality, etc etc - which of course means a wealthy Thai with very good Lawyer/s. Expats claiming innocence rarely win (never?) - so if if you are ever caught in the traffic accident situation - reach an agreement (and tip the Police for their troubles). 

1 hour ago, cowellandrew said:

How will the kids get to school? 4 on a motorbike waved in by the police,

Under Thai law/rule children under a certain age are allowed to ride a motorbike to/from school. I have seen many media stories and forum posts about that for many years. 

3 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

A monk also.

Reading between the lines...

"Please do not rely on Buddha and luck, just not a reliable source for longevity".

Or maybe that Monk was not a 'good' Monk - and karma and all that ...............

Just saying :smile:

22 hours ago, keith101 said:

There are always people driving in the wrong direction here and everywhere in Thailand but Police do nothing to stop it so there will always be accidents with serious injuries and deaths 

The police do it themselves. I rode pillion on a police motorbike to go pay a fine at the police station (for riding in the middle lane on my motorbike) and he went through multiple red lights and drove the wrong way down the road towards oncoming traffic during that journey. 

At the station as I paid the fine he lectured me about staying in the left hand lane (I was overtaking traffic at the time).  

• Haha 1

Although not stated I think the monk was seated in the front left hand seat of the bus. Faced with the oncoming truck the bus driver has swerved right and clipped the lefthand side of the truck the impact ripping the flimsy bodywork back. The monk would have taken the worst of the impact.