Bookmarks.

I cannot bookmark anything in my desktop any more, it works OK on my laptop. I click on the little heart or star to bookmark something and it just does not work. This is a first in many years of using a computer.

Anyone else had this experience or know why this is?

• Confused 1

I gave up on bookmarks a while back. I found myself switching between browsers often so moved the important bookmarks to a start page I can use in any browser. The two I found useful were start.me and protopage.com.

• Confused 1

If you're using Google Chrome, click the 3 little dots in the top right hand corner, scroll about half-way down to the "Bookmarks and List" option, and see if there's something there that helps out.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

What browser?
There is a probably a troubleshooting guide for every browser.

Just read one for Firefox.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/cant-add-change-or-save-bookmarks

Might be related to some add-on?

Opera and Chrome. I will check the add ons. Your link looks interesting but I cannot get it to work.

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, gargamon said:

I gave up on bookmarks a while back. I found myself switching between browsers often so moved the important bookmarks to a start page I can use in any browser. The two I found useful were start.me and protopage.com.

My bookmarks (Favorites) are synced between Chrome, Edge and Brave. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Opera and Chrome. I will check the add ons. Your link looks interesting but I cannot get it to work.

Chrome updated early AM today 1/9/2024, along with couple others this month:

image.png.dfb73ca50d45a9681ab3c4f49448da4f.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

It's working now but There is nothing to help Opera on Windows 11.

3 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

our link looks interesting but I cannot get it to work.

The link as such works fine.

The site is for Firefox, of no help for you then.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Why please? No Edge or Chrome?

No edge because nothing from Microsoft gets even close to any hardware I own. All the browsers I use are chromium based. Chromium uses the same base code as chrome, except the “report home“ to Google code has been removed, so no desire to use chrome. 

Used to use Firefox exclusively but they lost me years ago. 

35 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The link as such works fine.

The site is for Firefox, of no help for you then.

The first time I tried the link it turned blue and the pointer changed it's shape from an arrow to just straight lines, I tried it again and it worked perfectly. The exact same thing happened with a link I got from a poster last week. To me it is just a computer being a computer. No I'm afraid it was not a help though I have never been a fan of Firefox. But thanks, you have been a great help to me in the past.

12 hours ago, gargamon said:

No edge because nothing from Microsoft gets even close to any hardware I own

Please explain, which hardware does Windows not recognise?

42 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Please explain, which hardware does Windows not recognise?

Who cares what window$ recognizes. It's an interior system compared to linux. Why would I want to diminish my experience with that nonsense.

Oh, I forgot to mention TVBro, the browser I use on tv boxes. Very versatile for that environment. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Why not use Edge?

I do use Edge sometimes, but I find Opera to be the best browser. I find with Edge that from time to time I have to put it back to the English language.

I find Edge the best for live football streaming.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I do use Edge sometimes, but I find Opera to be the best browser. I find with Edge that from time to time I have to put it back to the English language.

Scottish football of course.  Hee hee. 

https://stackshare.io/stackups/microsoft-edge-vs-opera-browser

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I just installed Opera and shall give it a go.

My Edge bookmarks were all imported automatically.

Edited by KannikaP

14 hours ago, gargamon said:

No edge because nothing from Microsoft gets even close to any hardware I own. All the browsers I use are chromium based. Chromium uses the same base code as chrome, except the “report home“ to Google code has been removed, so no desire to use chrome. 

Used to use Firefox exclusively but they lost me years ago. 

Chromium is the open source browser backed by google. Chrome is the closed source. Report home is active in both.

Do you mean you are using ''ungoogled chromium'' ?

Chromium is not only the name of a browser, but also of the open-source project that generates the source code used by Chrome, Edge and others. Google is the primary backer of Chromium — it kicked off the project when it launched Chrome in September 2008

13 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Let me know how you get on.

Already un-installed it. Going back to Edge, with Brave as a secondary choice, as if I ever needed one.

Edge works perfectly for me.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

It's not a love thing. It's a hate thing.

Windows is so bad on so many different levels that I won't have anything from Micro$oft on anything I own. And since I made the move 20 years ago, it's been a much better experience. No need to update my hardware every time Micro$oft does an upgrade. No need for virus protection. No monthly Micro$oft software upgrades. Etc. etc etc. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Windows is so bad on so many different levels that I won't have anything from Micro$oft on anything I own. And since I made the move 20 years ago, it's been a much better experience. No need to update my hardware every time Micro$oft does an upgrade. No need for virus protection. No monthly Micro$oft software upgrades. Etc. etc etc. 

Windows has improved a lot in the last 20 years. Windows 11 isn't MS-DOS.

I, and many many others, do not need to update any hardware after upgrades, the last of which was 10 to 11 two years ago. Defender takes care of any viruses and malwares, does Linux never get those? Windows does not UPGRADE monthly, it may UPDATE as does almost every software program, and it can be set to do the update when you are not using your machine. 

I like Windows, have tried Linux but cannot get on with it.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Windows has improved a lot in the last 20 years. Windows 11 isn't MS-DOS.

I, and many many others, do not need to update any hardware after upgrades, the last of which was 10 to 11 two years ago. Defender takes care of any viruses and malwares, does Linux never get those? Windows does not UPGRADE monthly, it may UPDATE as does almost every software program, and it can be set to do the update when you are not using your machine. 

I like Windows, have tried Linux but cannot get on with it.

Agree! Don't see the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) often these days. You can turn off things you don't want. Windows anti-spyware/anti-virus is effective and unobtrusive. Experience conflict between WiFi and Bluetooth on Linux. Understand it's because Linux drivers have to be reverse-engineered from the Windows versions and that doesn't always go well. I sometimes find the Linux versions of software I try to instal from the repositories doesn't work. Each new version of a Linux distro seems to introduce fresh problems.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

horses for courses.