Bookmarks.

48 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Agree! Don't see the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) often these days. You can turn off things you don't want. Windows anti-spyware/anti-virus is effective and unobtrusive. Experience conflict between WiFi and Bluetooth on Linux. Understand it's because Linux drivers have to be reverse-engineered from the Windows versions and that doesn't always go well. I sometimes find the Linux versions of software I try to instal from the repositories doesn't work. Each new version of a Linux distro seems to introduce fresh problems.

For wireless drivers on linux the chipset manufacturer puts out a driver for linux, when this does not work then developers fix it and put it out for community use.

Mediatek wireless drivers are well supported in the linux kernel by mediatek and realtek start providing and supporting some of their dualband chipset wireless cards in the kernel now (since kernel 6.2)

Intel wireless and bluetooth support in linux exists.

The open source drivers are still available for use and can easily be searched and installed from aur or through a terminal.

Never had any problem between bluetooth and wireless on linux.

Don't have too many problems with linux distros and updating on arch and debian and solutions are readily found.

Think the problem is most people just want an easy way to use an os where almost no thinking required.

Edited by freeworld

9 minutes ago, freeworld said:

For wireless drivers on linux the chipset manufacturer puts out a driver for linux, when this does not work then developers fix it and put it out for community use.

Mediatek wireless drivers are well supported in the linux kernel by mediatek and realtek start providing and supporting some of their dualband chipset wireless cards in the kernel now (since kernel 6.2)

Intel wireless and bluetooth support in linux exists.

The open source drivers are still available for use and can easily be searched and installed from aur or through a terminal.

Never had any problem between bluetooth and wireless on linux.

Don't have too many problems with linux distros and updating on arch and debian and solutions are readily found.

Think the problem is most people just want an easy way to use an os where almost no thinking required.

Thank you for the advice. I can assure you it isn't only me that has Wifi/Bluetooth conflicts; 

'Nov 17, 2022
kc1di said:
That broadcom card has been problematic for a few years now.
This Mint thread may be of help even though it is a little old.

follow the instructions give by JeremyB.
If that does not work I would get the USB wifi stick.
Make sure it's compatible with Linux though not all are.

Thanks. BTW I've already done the step.
Seems like the only solution left is to get a WiFi or a Bluetooth dongle'.

I do, of course, completely agree with your final statement. For a basic user, Windows operating systems from 95 onwards have been easy to use.  I remember spending a weekend trying to instal Google Earth on Linux. If you recall it was because Linux developers didn't/don't like Google so they deliberately made things awkward. You don't get this with Windows. That's one reason why Windows will unfortunately always be preferred over Linux distro's. I would much prefer to use a completely free operating system and make voluntary donations to my favourite team.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Thank you for the advice. I can assure you it isn't only me that has Wifi/Bluetooth conflicts; 

'Nov 17, 2022
kc1di said:
That broadcom card has been problematic for a few years now.
This Mint thread may be of help even though it is a little old.

follow the instructions give by JeremyB.
If that does not work I would get the USB wifi stick.
Make sure it's compatible with Linux though not all are.

Thanks. BTW I've already done the step.
Seems like the only solution left is to get a WiFi or a Bluetooth dongle'.

I do, of course, completely agree with your final statement. For a basic user, Windows operating systems from 95 onwards have been easy to use.  I remember spending a weekend trying to instal Google Earth on Linux. If you recall it was because Linux developers didn't/don't like Google so they deliberately made things awkward. You don't get this with Windows. That's one reason why Windows will unfortunately always be preferred over Linux distro's. I would much prefer to use a completely free operating system and make voluntary donations to my favourite team.

Don't use it but on mint/ubuntu seems pretty easy to install google-earth-pro-stable package:

1) Through soft manager

2) Terminal

sudo apt update

sudo apt install google-earth-pro-stable

6 minutes ago, freeworld said:

Don't use it but on mint/ubuntu seems pretty easy to install google-earth-pro-stable package:

1) Through soft manager

2) Terminal

sudo apt update

sudo apt install google-earth-pro-stable

Thanks! That particular act of sabotage was some years ago now. Think I was using Crunchbang Linux by developer Philip Newborough at the time. Can now download Linux installation packages from the Google Earth website or install via terminal or Synaptic Package Manager or simply select from the list of popular programs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Windows has improved a lot in the last 20 years. Windows 11 isn't MS-DOS.

I, and many many others, do not need to update any hardware after upgrades, the last of which was 10 to 11 two years ago. Defender takes care of any viruses and malwares, does Linux never get those? Windows does not UPGRADE monthly, it may UPDATE as does almost every software program, and it can be set to do the update when you are not using your machine. 

I like Windows, have tried Linux but cannot get on with it.

I had the good fortune of doing software development on large corporate unix boxes like Solaris, HP-UX and Multics. Transition to linux on my personal PCs was trivial. Too bad you couldn't make the switch. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

I would much prefer to use a completely free operating system and make voluntary donations to my favourite team.

You are describing the OS produced by the fruit company. It’s free and supported as long as your hardware is sufficiently new, and this is usually up to about eight years past the date of production.  

• Thanks 1