KL embassy requierments for SETV

Hi folks,

I have multiple visa exemptions and SETVs mostly from 2016 and 17. In 2019, i returned for a 2 months trip (visa exemption).

This time i got an evisa from home and now need to get a new one. Planning to stay for 6 months.

I decided to go to KL in order to get a new visa, as i was in the south of Thailand already.

I just found out that KL seems to be pretty strict and about the new requirements, especially the proof of accommodation for the whole trip.

So my questions:
- will a few nights booked at a hotel be enough, or do they really request it for the whole trip?
- In case of a visa denial, would  this impact my chances of getting a new SETV at, let say, Vientiane?
- I read that the visa could get cancelled if the authorities found out that the hotel bookings for its validity were fake or cancelled. Does anyone have experience on this?

Or would I just be better off using visa exemptions (one + extension and another one) for the extra 90 days I'm planning to spend?

Cheers.

1 hour ago, mrnike said:

A quick reply would be appreciated as my appointment is tomorrow at 10.30. So that I could cancel it if necessary.

The main concern seems to be the booked accommodation.

Some comments in this attached thread.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1302592-proof-of-payment-for-accommodation-for-the-whole-period-of-stay-in-thailand/ 

When you attend your appointment ask about need to book pick up time or not required. 

Vaguely recall reading that somewhere 

This thread has couple of posts from ubonjoe and link to list of requirements

https://aseannow.com/topic/1276664-tourist-visa-for-thailand-in-kuala-lumpur/

It's quite a nightmare, I have a friend who had the same requirement in Vietnam and Kuala Lumpur, and even he booked a place for the entire duration, they then said it could not be just 1 place. It is very stupid, as obviously, it can still be cancelled after. They often also want to see payment receipts now. 

So with other words, they decide for you, what is a tourist or not. Apparently one can not stay at a resort on the beach for 2 months straight ><

If you can comply with everything, and have patience, which likely means having to change and print things again, queue up again etc, you can get one...

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Thanks folks.

I cancelled my appointment this morning. Will do the visa exemptions. I wanted to get a visa to not have to deal with immigration every month and not get too many exemptions on my passport, but they don't leave me the choice.

But this so stupid... It is clear that what all they care about is the money. And when, they have a chance to get it, they make it difficult for us. Looks like they prefer Chinese who spend 10'000 for a week that long time travellers who spend 4000 for several months... They need to learn to do the maths...

So, how do you guys manage it? Are you all only concerned by the 90 days reporting?

@ChaiyaTH

Totally agree with you. And long time travellers typically travel like that because they don't want to plan every second of their trip. So silly.

If you want silly, look at the requirements to get a simple tourist visa from a consulate in Japan!

Bank statements, certificate of employment, family register document, Thai ID card of a person you rent a condo from, personal history form, itinerary in Thailand including where you will visit, why, etc.

God knows what they will want for a non-imm. O visa....

On 1/9/2024 at 10:54 PM, mrnike said:

I just found out that KL seems to be pretty strict and about the new requirements, especially the proof of accommodation for the whole trip.

Only someone having applied there recently could answer that. If in doubt, I would think that they insist on what they wrote on their website. However, the website content could, potentially, be outdated. As emails are not often answered, calling there might bring clarity. 

Edited by StayinThailand2much

On 1/10/2024 at 12:20 PM, Hanaguma said:

Bank statements, certificate of employment, family register document, Thai ID card of a person you rent a condo from, personal history form, itinerary in Thailand including where you will visit, why, etc.

LOL. Typical load of requirements to ensure that only residents or citizens of that country apply for visas. Do all Japanese tourists rent condos? What if they want to stay at a hotel?

On 1/10/2024 at 11:55 AM, mrnike said:

But this so stupid... It is clear that what all they care about is the money. And when, they have a chance to get it, they make it difficult for us. Looks like they prefer Chinese who spend 10'000 for a week that long time travellers who spend 4000 for several months... They need to learn to do the maths...

If you read tourism news regularly, you will know that, yes, they prefer Chinese travellers who come here for only one week, do the trip to the 'island', perhaps to Wat Phra Keaw, then spend the rest of their baht at Big C for a suitcase full of snacks, not to be seen here ever again. Anyone staying longer than 10 days, or who 'comes too often' must be a "criminal"... 

And yes, 'big money' now, rather than 'very big money' over a longer time span is deeply ingrained in the Thai psyche.

Still, people continue to come in large numbers, so it works out well for them.

On 1/10/2024 at 10:51 AM, ChaiyaTH said:

They often also want to see payment receipts now. 

How stupid is that? I spent 100s of thousands of baht on hotel bookings in 2019 for a holiday in 2020, just to spend days and weeks to cancel all of them once the pandemic hit, trying to get my money back. Some I only got back in 2022. Things can happen, and plans change. If I had to book accommodation for, say, 2 or three months, I'd rather change my destination.