British and Russian Motorcyclists Collide in Pattaya

webfact

1 hour ago, NextG said:
On 1/13/2024 at 10:18 AM, Ricardo99 said:

If their only trying to make money, then why do they let the cops shake down tourists who rent bikes with the old 'this licence no good' scam. My UK licence with full motorcycle use was confiscatedc 4 times till I stopped renting any bikes (even scooters) as the BIB pissed me off once to offen with their income generation schemes.

Didn’t they stop taking licences years ago? 

I think it was from Sept 2019 when the BiB were no longer 'permitted' to confiscate your licence (and use it as collateral forcing you to pay an on the spot bribe fine).... 

I've not been stopped by the BiB since then, so can't truly tell what their behavior is these days... 

But, given past experience, what I do know is that the police follow their own rules and methods passed down to them from seniors and peers rather than following any documented legislation etc.

Thus, I wouldn't be so sure that anything has changed at all regarding the 'non confiscation' of licenses. 

There's a DLT App which is also a 'legal' option of presenting our license to the BiB when asked, but I'd rather they hold my licence than my phone !!!!... 

Which leads to... What to do now if we are stopped ??... Open the window a few inches and when asked for our licence hold it up so they can see it, but refuse to hand it over ??... I wonder how that would go down. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think it was from Sept 2019 when the BiB were no longer 'permitted' to confiscate your licence (and use it as collateral forcing you to pay an on the spot bribe fine).... 

I've not been stopped by the BiB since then, so can't truly tell what their behavior is these days... 

But, given past experience, what I do know is that the police follow their own rules and methods passed down to them from seniors and peers rather than following any documented legislation etc.

Thus, I wouldn't be so sure that anything has changed at all regarding the 'non confiscation' of licenses. 

There's a DLT App which is also a 'legal' option of presenting our license to the BiB when asked, but I'd rather they hold my licence than my phone !!!!... 

Which leads to... What to do now if we are stopped ??... Open the window a few inches and when asked for our licence hold it up so they can see it, but refuse to hand it over ??... I wonder how that would go down. 

Even before then, I still said no. No matter how angry they pretended to get. I also removed my keys, from the lock to block that avenue for them too. The last time I allowed one to take my licence, I went home to put my shopping in the fridge and then went to find him. Found him, had some words with him and he handed my licence back without further ado. No harm, no foul. 

On 1/13/2024 at 6:48 AM, newbee2022 said:

The Russian seems to be right according to the damages.

The Brit was probably too excited with his catch of the night and didn't have a look into the mirror where the Russian was approaching.

Poor Brit🙏

Sounds a bit like taking about the Ukraine war.

On 1/13/2024 at 2:46 AM, RobU said:

I saw many foreign motorcyclists in Pattaya who obviously didn't have a clue about riding motorcycles, probably the first time they rode one was in Thailand

Scared stiff to lean the bike and trust the tyres

As they go round corners the foot goes down off the footrest or scooter platform in a pathetic attempt to stabilise the bike if it falls over

All that would ensue is a broken ankle or leg as well as other injuries

Competent motorcyclists do not take their feet of the footrest or scooter platform until the bike comes to a halt

Keeping the feet on the footrest or scooter platform, actually prevents major injury to the legs if the bike falls and slides, especially on big bikes with crash guards

Yes there are also many Thai motorcyclists who do the same because they too have never received training or passed a test

i've always wondered why motorcyclists ride with their feet/foot sticking out to the side, i doesn't look like motorcycles were designed to be ridden that way, or particularly safe

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

The pic shows the lady getting treatment a few bystanders.I Imagine drink was involved both  parties.No bike or helmet to be seen.A license would be a bonus for both.So i assume inexperienced  bike riding from both and the ladys of the night will back at the bar in a few days with them maybe or next customer.Life in pattaya continues as normal like any city here