University On Samui

Hi to everyone on Samui, KP and beyond

Does anyone know when the university under construction near Chaweng will be completed? And what the name of the university is..? Nothing came up on a google search.

Thank you

meow

Rajabhat University opens tourism college on Samui. Samui Express 15 Feb 2007

Suratthani Rajabhat University is opening a branch on Samui, which will offer courses in international tourism. The Samui campus, according to Dr. Narong Puthaciwin, rector of the university, intends to build up a sustainable tourism development for Samui and the neighboring islands. The university has invited Somdej Phutthajan To, one of the most respected abbots in the country, to preside over the opening ceremony on Feb. 12. Narong disclosed that the international college building is partially completed. Prof. Manot Nualsra, dean of the tourism international college, said the school’s aim is to produce graduates grounded in research and knowledge encompassing the tourism industry. The university hopes to give services of regional and inter- national scope to the tourism industry, as well as to help develop green tourism, which is now the trend in the tourism business. Manot said Koh Samui, being a world-class tourist destination, would serve as an ideal laboratory for the college in term of theory and practice.

From what I have seen the complex is still very much under construction, unless they have other areas outside of the main campus. The area that is being developed now could not hold any classes at this time, it'll be a good few months away I think.

I believe classes are in Thai and have already started, but not sure. My husband talked to him about this in May and he said it sounded like the classes had just started.

• 2 years later...

Hey everyone

I have been directed to this blog by a number of people who have seen your information about the opening of Suratthani Rajabhat University, International School of Tourism Campus.

Since 2005 I have been employed at Suratthani Rajabhat University as an English teacher and the International Relations Officer for the foriegn teachers on campus.

I would like to set rumours straight with regards to the opening of the Samui campus. It will open no earlier than the end of 2010. Due to unforseen circumstances it has been delayed on a number of occasions.

I know from my own visits to Samui and friends who live on the island that rumours are rife about the opening of the campus, so I hope my message helps.

Anyone interested in applying for future positions should send thier C.V and credentials to:

Suratthani Rajabhat University, International School of Tourism, 272 Moo 9, Tambon Khunthalay, Amphur Muang Suratthani, 84100.

Please mark for the attention of The Dean or Ajarn Jennifer Lloyd. Alternatively you can send it by email to [email protected].

When the time comes for recruitment to start for the Samui campus all applicants on file will be contacted.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards