Immigration officer said there's a rule about being in Thailand for no more than 90 days per 6 months on a tourist visa exemption. Is this new?

29 minutes ago, Jack1988 said:

Can the outbound ticket also be a country near thailand or must be the country where you start to fly before to come to thailand?

Any outbound ticket will do, it doesn't matter to which country. 

3 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

That rule was rescinded in about 2009

Can you provide a link of sorts so i can copy and present to IO if necessary............. or will it not matter as IO uses discretionary authority re "rules" "regulations" etc (TIT).    

I flew into Phuket last Tuesday with a TR60 visa and, after queueing for over an hour, the IO gave me a hard time - a young lady with a very soft voice and so I could barely hear a word. At one point she shuffled off to the far end of the hall, presumably to speak with a supervisor.

After about fifteen minutes she asked if I had a return ticket - not needed for a TR60 entry I thought - and finally stamped me in but typed a lot into her computer and so I guess that I may have problems again.

History? In 2023 I visited

• Jan 15th to Mar 29th on a TR60 plus extension.
  • Jun 1st to Jul 30th on a TR60.
  • Oct 3rd to Dec 17th on a TR60 plus extension.

I am a regular long-term visitor but I am not aware that I am breaking any rules. I am comfortably retired and not a scruffy backpacker or cheap Charlie and would have thought that I am exactly the kind of tourist that Thailand is trying to attract. Since I need to remain based in the UK for medical needs, a long-term visa is not really suitable for me.

Did I just catch the IO on a bad day?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

i don't think so. you were stamped in,she was just a tad suspicious cos thats a lot of time on tourist visas + extensions ( doesn't 180 days = tax resident?). the return air ticket query may have been to gauge if a further extension will be sought. i am also a retired long term visitor but keeping below 180 days per year. whether you are breaking any rules or not is somewhat unclear to me as IO rules and regulations are often applied inconsistently. your next tourist entry might be interesting. good luck.    

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

As is you quoting MFA.

The MFA are charged with executing foreign policies, including regulations for foreigners entering Thailand, as well as managing and maintaining their diplomatic missions around the Globe.

Stating ignore the MFA is tantamount to stating ignore the Thai Embassy website and their visa information, it's a load of cobblers.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Stating ignore the MFA is tantamount to stating ignore the Thai Embassy website and their visa information, it's a load of cobblers.

Often it is ...

As per this thread.

Move along to the other posters that have pointed out the "rule" you quoted is out of date and a nonsense.

Similar to the 180 per year. 

Won't reply again. Waste of time. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

The MFA are charged with executing foreign policies, including regulations for foreigners entering Thailand, as well as managing and maintaining their diplomatic missions around the Globe.

Well, to be fair, there is also a lot of inaccurate information on the Thai Embassy Webpage too, this has been pointed out many times in previous threads. 

Back in Covid time, the Thai Embassy in London provided me with a Certificate of Entry, however, at the last minute I discovered that I would not be able to enter Thailand while it was still under Emergency Decree unless I had a non-Immigrant Visa (and that some people who'd tried to enter with a Thai Elite Visa and CoR had already been turned away).

The Thai Embassy very quickly rectified the issue and provided me with a Non-Imm O based on Marriage (which I was very thankful for), but - suggesting all info on the Thai Embassy Website is impeccable is flawed - the final authority on entering Thailand is The Immigration Division of the Royal Thai Police Force. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Back in Covid time, the Thai Embassy in London provided me with a Certificate of Entry, however, at the last minute I discovered that I would not be able to enter Thailand while it was still under Emergency Decree unless I had a non-Immigrant Visa (and that some people who'd tried to enter with a Thai Elite Visa and CoR had already been turned away).

Nonsense, provided you met the entry requirements for Covid, vaccinated, PCR test, insurance, you could enter VE, TV or a re-entry permit.

The Sandbox was an example.

There was a small window where regardless of the type of visa or your Immigration status, you couldn't enter and that was due to the fact all International flights into Thailand were barred.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Move along to the other posters that have pointed out the "rule" you quoted is out of date and a nonsense.

Have you or any of the other posters provided a link detailing that information is nonsense or out of date, or more it doesn't fit our understanding or belief.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/13/2024 at 6:38 PM, rs11 said:

I do have a lot of covid Thai extension stamps in my passport that they were scrutinizing.  I assume they can see all that on their computer, but maybe after I get a new passport, it will be less of a problem.

Covid extensions and education visas/extensions are, for some reason, a red flag for these people. 

Doubtful that a new passport would help, as everything is in the computer system, and considering how long Thai IOs usually stare at the screen.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

These "rules" were enacted almost 20 years ago, and only a few years later abolished. Still quoted by unscrupulous IOs, though, particularly at the Bangkok airports.

Accurate post however doubt some folk will acknowledge reality.

The more common one is "more than 180 days in 360.

Both nonsense. 

Rule #1 don't trust Thai consulate/embassy sites. 

Lot of poor information. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Liquorice said:
42 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Nonsense, provided you met the entry requirements for Covid, vaccinated, PCR test, insurance, you could enter VE, TV or a re-entry permit.

The Sandbox was an example.

There was a small window where regardless of the type of visa or your Immigration status, you couldn't enter and that was due to the fact all International flights into Thailand were barred.

You're calling me a lair....  I lived it... 

... In July 2020 - entry to Foreigners was only permitted under very specific conditions... the sandbox you mentioned (something I also did a year later) was something that occurred much later when conditions were significantly relaxed,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bvor said:

i don't think so. you were stamped in,she was just a tad suspicious cos thats a lot of time on tourist visas + extensions ( doesn't 180 days = tax resident?). the return air ticket query may have been to gauge if a further extension will be sought. i am also a retired long term visitor but keeping below 180 days per year. whether you are breaking any rules or not is somewhat unclear to me as IO rules and regulations are often applied inconsistently. your next tourist entry might be interesting. good luck.    

Well, my return flight is in exactly 90 days and so I will obviously be getting an extension - hopefully!

I wasn't aware of the 180-day rule, if indeed there is such a thing. I would have thought that, if it was a problem, then my e-visa application would have snagged. As you say, these things are notoriously inconsistent.

I truly believe that I am a genuine and valuable tourist - the fact that I detest cold weather and am retired and flush is the reason for the long visits and I am not trying to beat any system (like border-bouncers, some agent users) but I'll have to reconsider my future plans.

43 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Have you or any of the other posters provided a link detailing that information is nonsense or out of date, or more it doesn't fit our understanding or belief.

Go do your own homework to come up to speed.

Here is helping hand...

Several others.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1314632-how-true-is-this-rule-90-day-cumulative-stay-within-6-months/

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, London Lowf said:

I truly believe that I am a genuine and valuable tourist 

That probably won`t help when dealing with immigration . We are just a number a them , another Farang , don`t expect them to be grateful for your presence in the country 

45 minutes ago, London Lowf said:

I wasn't aware of the 180-day rule, if indeed there is such a thing.

Neither am i . 

90 days in 98 days of 2024 on top of 210 days in 2023 - good result thus far.

Albeit I haven't heard of any TR60's limit per year.

Would be good to know if there is one and what it is but given the 90 day in 6 month stoush i'd rather not ask on AN.   

Apologies for muddying the waters a little by mentioning the tax resident threshold of 180 days.

cheers.

11 hours ago, London Lowf said:

I flew into Phuket last Tuesday with a TR60 visa and, after queueing for over an hour, the IO gave me a hard time - a young lady with a very soft voice and so I could barely hear a word. At one point she shuffled off to the far end of the hall, presumably to speak with a supervisor.

After about fifteen minutes she asked if I had a return ticket - not needed for a TR60 entry I thought - and finally stamped me in but typed a lot into her computer and so I guess that I may have problems again.

History? In 2023 I visited

• Jan 15th to Mar 29th on a TR60 plus extension.
  • Jun 1st to Jul 30th on a TR60.
  • Oct 3rd to Dec 17th on a TR60 plus extension.

I am a regular long-term visitor but I am not aware that I am breaking any rules. I am comfortably retired and not a scruffy backpacker or cheap Charlie and would have thought that I am exactly the kind of tourist that Thailand is trying to attract. Since I need to remain based in the UK for medical needs, a long-term visa is not really suitable for me.

Unfortunately they arr not doing the multi-non O from London, again and I too don't think I'm compatible with their 12 month extention system, perhaps only the 60 day one.

Dad has been doing 3 x 59day, equally spaced trips for a long long time now carefully keeping under the 180 day tax residence trigger point. When ask why he did not consider buying a place and spending more time there, his answer is " it would become routine".  He has never had any entry problems ever (touch wood).

I Can appreciate the Medical aspect.

You probably did just catch the guy on a bad day. I remember when back in the 90's 2nd trip to Thailand Family had flown ahead, meeting them in a guest house / Cafe near the old airport DMK. Three police, one had a skinful, and that one came over to my table, ranted at me, he was thinking about drawing his 9mm perhaps. But his two colleagues dragged him back to their table. He was having a bad day about something!

(It does need some confidence to detach from the NHS, and the in between status can be difficult to arrange)

On 1/13/2024 at 6:02 PM, rs11 said:

I've been to Thailand many times over the last 10 years and never had any problems until a few days ago.  At BKK airport I got asked for a return ticket, which has never happened before.  When I said I didn't have one, I got pulled aside to speak with a supervisor.

He made a baseless accusation that I'm not a genuine tourist and said to count how many days I was in the country over the last 6 months.  He showed me some website that claims there's a max 90 days per 6 months rule.  I ended up only being in the country for about 40 days over the last 6 months, so I should have been fine, but he still required I purchase a return ticket and said I'm not allowed to return after this 30-day stamp for at least another 3 months.

Is there any truth to this rule?  Are they getting more strict lately?

The other people waiting before me were very rude to him, so I think I may have just got unlucky and caught him in a bad mood.

I always try to take a moment to stand back and see which queue has the friendliest looking officer.

Also heard a few stories of similar things happening in bkk airport with friends. Sometimes with a pay this much to make your problems go away ending.

On 1/14/2024 at 5:07 AM, bigt3116 said:

That rule was rescinded in about 2009

That doesn't mean that this particular IO knows that... he was using it as an excuse when he saw that the op for the sake of saving $10 did not bother with buying an onward ticket... if the op had done his due diligence, he could have avoided this situation entirely... he gambled and lost... too bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

"At BKK airport I got asked for a return ticket, which has never happened before. "

You seem to get high on somebody's misery... Shame on you - Mr Know all.

There are many rules not even regular visitors know about and they change all the time.