I know what I think but what do you?

Negita43

Just now, Negita43 said:

As soon as you mention HDD we know you are old school. Still on Windows 8? 

Let me PUT something to you - my first "language" for computers was Machine Code. - I hope you GET that :shock1:

Just now, Negita43 said:

Let me PUT something to you - my first "language" for computers was Machine Code. - I hope you GET that :shock1:

I have no idea about Machine Code, and do not need to because there are experts at Microsoft, Google, and yourself, who do that part for me.

Do you know exactly how your car engine and electronics work? No, because the experts at the manufacturers have done it.

Do you know how Beethoven or The Beatles wrote such good music. No, because the experts did it for you to listen to. 

Just now, Negita43 said:

Control Program (for) Microcomputers:cheesy: - eclipsed by DOS

I worked at ICT Computers in Gorton, Manchester when they were using reed switches instead of electronics

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

I have no idea about Machine Code

That's why you don't understand PUT and GET - Didn't experts say Thaldomide was safe Didn't experts say the Post Office Accounting system was sound. Don't Google etc experts create code that has bugs - long live experts eh!

7 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

That's why you don't understand PUT and GET - Didn't experts say Thaldomide was safe Didn't experts say the Post Office Accounting system was sound. Don't Google etc experts create code that has bugs - long live experts eh!

Sorry, I did not realise this was a test....PUT & GET?????   

Of course mistakes are made in all fields not only computing. Doors should not fall off Boeings. Ships should not hit icebergs. Challenger should not have been launched. But they do, humans are not infallible.

Anyway, back to your OP. Did you find a suitable drive?

32 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Windows what???? long live CPM

Only for the business nerds, the free sprites are using still using DRDOS running on a coprocessor (80160) powered by a 6502 main computer, but yes they can also run a piggybacked CPM on the same machine using a Z80 coprocessor

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Anyway, back to your OP. Did you find a suitable drive?

Not Yet still weighing up the options. 5TB max is a little small for what I need/want. Of course there is always "the cloud" but as you might have guessed I am a little wary of trusting others to take care of my stuff ( if they can hack governments then Google, Amazon etc can only be a matter of time (and yes I know they say it's all encrypted)). I prefer to keep all my stuff "in house" and the backup backup in my fireproof safe.

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Only for the business nerds, the free sprites are using still using DRDOS

Yes I have DRDOS on a mem stick and also useful for loading utilities like Hdata for trying to solve HDD issues

12 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Not Yet still weighing up the options. 5TB max is a little small for what I need/want. Of course there is always "the cloud" but as you might have guessed I am a little wary of trusting others to take care of my stuff ( if they can hack governments then Google, Amazon etc can only be a matter of time (and yes I know they say it's all encrypted)). I prefer to keep all my stuff "in house" and the backup backup in my fireproof safe.

Seagate USB drives store up to 20TB.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/seagate-external-hdd-one-touch-hub-35-i3470043420-s12863486099.html

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Seagate USB drives store up to 20TB

Thanks Britman I appreciate your help - it's a thought but a little pricey and big for what I want (Product box size: 8.74 x 9.173 x 3.071 inches Total box weight: 1.6 kg.) - I already have 2 NAS RAID1) and an external similar Box to the above which is a backup to one of the NAS boxes. I am considering converting the NAS RAIDs to JBOD but it's a lot of work and woulld need a large additional disk to accomodate the RAIDs backups before before embarking on that process and the thought of spending lots of money on a HDD which will become redundant when the conversion is finished doesn't appeal to me. At least asomething like WD Passport would give me more portablity.

7 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Thanks Britman I appreciate your help - it's a thought but a little pricey and big for what I want (Product box size: 8.74 x 9.173 x 3.071 inches Total box weight: 1.6 kg.) - I already have 2 NAS RAID1) and an external similar Box to the above which is a backup to one of the NAS boxes. I am considering converting the NAS RAIDs to JBOD but it's a lot of work and woulld need a large additional disk to accomodate the RAIDs backups before before embarking on that process and the thought of spending lots of money on a HDD which will become redundant when the conversion is finished doesn't appeal to me. At least asomething like WD Passport would give me more portablity.

I just plug usb HDS into the back of my NAS. No need for any clever raid formats, just use the usb drives as duplicates. My Synology and Zyxel Nas both have 2x usb sockets. I have 8tb extra on the Zyxel, and 9tb extra on the Synology.

Just now, BritManToo said:

I just plug usb HDS into the back of my NAS. No need for any clever raid formats, just use the usb drives as duplicates. My Synology and Zyxel Nas both have 2x usb sockets. I have 8tb extra on the Zyxel, and 9tb extra on the Synology.

Yes that's more or less the way I want to go but I don't want any issues getting there because I have over 100,000 photos/videos plus other stuff accumulated over many years.

By the way I have a Zyxel 326 NAS I have read on the forum there are problems with this box corrupting files on large transfers - I have had some corruption on this box but to be fair I couldn't definitively say the files weren't corrupted before the transfer. Have you had any issues?

My other box is an AsusTor 1002T which has been going fine for many years (one Raid failure and a rebuild took more than 2 days which is one reason I want to JBOD and backup route).

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Only for the business nerds, the free sprites are using still using DRDOS running on a coprocessor (80160) powered by a 6502 main computer, but yes they can also run a piggybacked CPM on the same machine using a Z80 coprocessor

I guess Immigration and most banks are not 'business nerds' as most are still on W8 or 10. And do not know how to make a tidy desktop other than auto-arrange to the left.

As for DRDOS, 80160, 6502, CPM Z80.......my Asus i5 with W11 does all the business I need. But I am not a nerd!

1 minute ago, Negita43 said:

Yes that's more or less the way I want to go but I don't want any issues getting there because I have over 100,000 photos/videos plus other stuff accumulated over many years.

How often do you look at your photos. And as for videos, you can get almost anything via torrent or streaming.

1 minute ago, Negita43 said:

How often do you look at your photos. And as for videos, you can get almost anything via torrent or streaming.

So I can get a video of my dog with its pups from the internet please give me a linkl.

Edited by Negita43
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Do I critcise you for doing it your way?

No, sorry I spoke.

I know you do not like the Cloud, but as a further backup you could subscribe to Microsoft Family 365, register 5 email addresses and get 6 TB of storage, accessible from anywhere, plus 600 minutes of Skype calls if you needed them. All for 79 quid a year.

Edited by KannikaP

10 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

You are a gentleman

Not always, and not recognised by some members on here. But I don't care. My W11 PC, AIO and laptop all work well, are synced together and have never let me down.

I do music production on the tower, which I put together myself many years ago. i5, 16GB RAM, 1TB Samsung SSD. 

Oh yes Gamma, a Fractal case with a window.

Edited by KannikaP

33 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

By the way I have a Zyxel 326 NAS I have read on the forum there are problems with this box corrupting files on large transfers - I have had some corruption on this box but to be fair I couldn't definitively say the files weren't corrupted before the transfer. Have you had any issues?

My other box is an AsusTor 1002T which has been going fine for many years (one Raid failure and a rebuild took more than 2 days which is one reason I want to JBOD and backup route).

I have a Zyxel 310 single bay, Zyxel 326 twin bay, and Synology ds223j. The Zyxels must be near 10 years old and zero problems, I've copied 8tb of data in the past 2 weeks, no corruption.

The only time I ever lost data was in another device where raid had a broken stripe, no reason both drives were healthy. I've never used raid since then.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, KannikaP said:

As soon as you mention HDD we know you are old school. Still on Windows 8? 

Cloud storage services still use HDD. Choose the correct tool for the correct application.