I know what I think but what do you?

Negita43

I'm looking for a high capacity external USB 3 HDD so I did a search on a well known online site expecting to pay 3-4K baht

The initial search was innudated with offers like the attachment. SSD and 16TB (and I have seen some at 128TB)

I suppose these could be low capacity with high compression rates but.....

You know what they say if it seems too good to be true then it probably is OR have some advances in HDD tech passed me by?

Hard Disk.jpg

Edited by Negita43
Finger Problems
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, Negita43 said:
19 minutes ago, NextG said:

or at least LazMall or some similar accreditation. 

If you look above the picture of the item ........

I'm surprised they don't have an algorithm that weeds out stuff like that.  It wouldn't even require paying a human to go through them.  Which, at Thai labor rates, would also be a good idea.

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

If you look above the picture of the item ........

If really LazMall then that description will appear under the sellers name  at 'Sold by'

This seller is not LazMall

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, terryq said:

If really LazMall then that description will appear under the sellers name  at 'Sold by'

This seller is not LazMall

Well spotted. The cut-and-paste pictures are deceptive enough but seriously, does anyone think they are getting anything, ANYTHING decent and high quality when the prices are that low?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm surprised they don't have an algorithm that weeds out stuff like that. 

Lazada and Shopee gives a full refund for received counterfeit China junk without the need to send the item back. 

Side stepping the debate about lazada refunds and scams etc... 

OP...  Assuming you want to backup your data in a reliable manner to an SSD (no moving parts) rather than a conventional portable HD which has a higher risk of failure, particularly if dropped etc... then its best to go with a reputable solution.

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 12.50.09.png

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Agree 1

I bought a few of these from amazon.com last year :

image.png.c2843c877669a7ba822945273e5ef2e4.png

The products listed in the OP are obvious fakes which is very common with storage sold online.

The above Kingston drives are now less than $100 - these used to cost $1000 and up only 5 years or so ago and they were bulkier as well.

I've got a few of these and they perform well.

Thanks for the last two posts but when I say high capacity I mean at least 5TB.

As far as I am aware  5TB is the max possible for an external 2.5 HDD (unless you start compressing data and then of course you are not really increasing the HDD capacity just reducing the file sizes).

Also as far as I am aware getting bigger than 2TB for SSDs is at the moment possible BUT costs thousands of dollars.

So part of the reason for my post was just to check I had not missed some technological advance and if I had not to express concern that the online site allows the sale of product that appears to be tecnologically impossible to achieve.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Side stepping the debate about lazada refunds and scams etc... 

OP...  Assuming you want to backup your data in a reliable manner to an SSD (no moving parts) rather than a conventional portable HD which has a higher risk of failure, particularly if dropped etc... then its best to go with a reputable solution.

Screenshot 2024-01-14 at 12.50.09.png

Same thing Bht 4490 available in 2-3 days. Better than $117 via Qatar, and Invade will warranty it.

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/portable-hard-drives/sandisk/1tb-extreme-portable-ssd-v2-sdssde61-1t00-g25-p053703/

Edited by KannikaP
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

A rather misleading/clickbait headline. Why not 'Best Portable 1TB SSD under Bht 4000.'

Well that headline would also be misleading since I was looking for a capacity of at least 5TB if you read my other posts.

28 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Thanks for the last two posts but when I say high capacity I mean at least 5TB.

As far as I am aware  5TB is the max possible for an external 2.5 HDD (unless you start compressing data and then of course you are not really increasing the HDD capacity just reducing the file sizes).

Also as far as I am aware getting bigger than 2TB for SSDs is at the moment possible BUT costs thousands of dollars.

So part of the reason for my post was just to check I had not missed some technological advance and if I had not to express concern that the online site allows the sale of product that appears to be tecnologically impossible to achieve.

Invade to Externals up to 168TB!

External Hard Drive, USB Hard Drives, External Hard Drives, WD External Hard Drives, Seagate External Hard Drives, 12TB, 16TB, 10TB, 18TB, 168TB Thailand - invadeIT

BTW. Why do you require a 2.5" drive?

I am not particularly looking for SSDs - it's just that the product I highlighted cliamed to be SSD based. nor am I biased towards 2.5 external drives - it's capacity I am looking for.

I am very old school IT I never have just one backup of anything important.

Edited by Negita43
added something
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

You can get a 4TB crucial SSD for less than 9000 Baht, add an enclosure for a few hundred baht, and you basically have a 4TB USB drive

8 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I once asked a Thai bar girl how much she charges for a "ram."  I got a more honest answer from her than the website in your screenshot.  

I hope you checked for viruses before uploading

27 minutes ago, BenStark said:

You can get a 4TB crucial SSD for less than 9000 Baht, add an enclosure for a few hundred baht, and you basically have a 4TB USB drive

Yes Thanks but 9000+ Baht for an SSD when I'm not bothered if it's an SSD or 2.5 HDD (at 3900) is a no brainer because like I said I aleways have at least two backups of anything important.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Negita43 said:

I am not particularly looking for SSDs - it's just that the product I highlighted cliamed to be SSD based. nor am I biased towards 2.5 external drives - it's capacity I am looking for.

I am very old school IT I never have just one backup of anything important.

As soon as you mention HDD we know you are old school. Still on Windows 8? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Negita43 said:

Well that headline would also be misleading since I was looking for a capacity of at least 5TB if you read my other posts.

Couldn't be bothered.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm old school too.  I started IT working on main-frames and an IBM AT.

However.  I don't have the patience to work at a snails pace.  I don't run top-end PCs, but mid-line models running Linux.
I usually have one (or two) older computer, and one "new" one that either really is brand new, or that has been upgraded.
I'll buy a computer, upgrade the hardware once, and then buy a new one when the old one is too clunky and problematic I'll continue using it as a stand-by and then buy a new computer.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, connda said:

I'm old school too.  I started IT working on main-frames and an IBM AT.

However.  I don't have the patience to work at a snails pace.  I don't run top-end PCs, but mid-line models running Linux.
I usually have one (or two) older computer, and one "new" one that either really is brand new, or that has been upgraded.
I'll buy a computer, upgrade the hardware once, and then buy a new one when the old one is too clunky and problematic I'll continue using it as a stand-by and then buy a new computer.

We're all 'oldskool' now... 

My son saw one of these (below) and had absolutely no idea what it was... 

At 10 years old he had his first phone for Christmas and is already running chat GPT and types way faster than I can on a phone... 

I explained about 'dial up'...  nope... completely lost...   cables ?

I can touch type on a regular keyboard very quickly, he types just as quickly on an iPad and Phone.

I'm oldskool in the manner in which I hate using Apps and always prefer to refer to my LapTop to do anything online (except when out and about)... 

image.png.2f5bdda5186364523ed07e3947c4ed08.png

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

We're all 'oldskool' now... 

My son saw one of these (below) and had absolutely no idea what it was... 

At 10 years old he had his first phone for Christmas and is already running chat GPT and types way faster than I can on a phone... 

I explained about 'dial up'...  nope... completely lost...   cables ?

I can touch type on a regular keyboard very quickly, he types just as quickly on an iPad and Phone.

I'm oldskool in the manner in which I hate using Apps and always prefer to refer to my LapTop to do anything online (except when out and about)... 

image.png.2f5bdda5186364523ed07e3947c4ed08.png

Show the kid this.  I'm old enough to remember "party lines" and manual central switchboards.

th-2637814947.jpeg

• Love It 1