What's the best case now available for an ATX computer? Coolermaster?

Hello,

I need a case for a new computer.

I don't like flashing lights.

I just want a simple box, in black, with no windows.

Must be very reliable, with a good tactile feel to the power button.

And, I want very reliable wiring inside the box, too.

So, what is the best rugged box that will not cut my fingers when opening it up....ie.....no sharp edges.

What would you buy if you were assembling a desktop PC

Also, just going on this Cooler Master website gives me a HUGE HEADACHE....and...I think it is designed for young teens, basically.....

https://www.coolermaster.com/

So, maybe the Cooler Master is not for me, any longer, since I am no longer a teen.

I just want it black, simple, reliable, strong, and everlasting.....

I will purchase a power supply separately, of course.

I will buy next week, I think.

Regards, as usual....

Gamma

Note:  Not yet sure what motherboard I will choose, but I DO like a BIG one.  I don't like those tiny computer boxes that don't give you room to move.

Note2:  Room To Move

Edited by GammaGlobulin

9 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

YES...

That is a beauty.

No plastic windows!

Good ventilation.

By the way, I hopped on board the i5 CPU bandwagon in 2012.

Very good energy conservation at about 65 watts, and plenty of power for my needs, and onboard integrated graphics....

So, I will just buy an ASUS motherboard to put inside the meshify case...if I buy it.

Question:  What might be the best ASUS motherboard (economy) for use with a ....

image.png.48d5f3a8b49da957ca4e0376e09c2b24.png

?

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

YES...

That is a beauty.

No plastic windows!

Good ventilation.

By the way, I hopped on board the i5 CPU bandwagon in 2012.

Very good energy conservation at about 65 watts, and plenty of power for my needs, and onboard integrated graphics....

So, I will just buy an ASUS motherboard to put inside the meshify case...if I buy it.

Question:  What might be the best ASUS motherboard (economy) for use with a ....

image.png.48d5f3a8b49da957ca4e0376e09c2b24.png

?

The "best" would be a ROG Strix but if you are only using onboard graphics then you aren't playing games. Almost anything would do. Be guided by the available drive slots, etc to suit your needs. I'd probably pick one with DDR5 as well.

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

The "best" would be a ROG Strix but if you are only using onboard graphics then you aren't playing games. Almost anything would do. Be guided by the available drive slots, etc to suit your needs. I'd probably pick one with DDR5 as well.

Right.

I do not play games.

Reliability is most important for me.

This motherboard must be reliable.

I do not need super fast RAM, either.

I just need one strip of 16 GB RAM.

Just now, GammaGlobulin said:

Right.

I do not play games.

Reliability is most important for me.

This motherboard must be reliable.

I do not need super fast RAM, either.

I just need one strip of 16 GB RAM.

Get 2 strips of 8Gb RAM. Don't get one strip unless you plan to upgrade with another of exactly the same RAM strip later.

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Get 2 strips of 8Gb RAM. Don't get one strip unless you plan to upgrade with another of exactly the same RAM strip later.

I do plan to upgrade to 32 GB of RAM in the near future.

So, this is why I want one strip of 16 GB, .... first.

17 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Popular. invadeIT and JiB are out of stock

Sorry.

I am not clear about your comment.

Out of Stock on what, please?

(I will not buy from InvadeIT, by the way. InvadeIT is in BKK.  And, I am in CM.  And, I refuse to buy this online.)

NOTE:  Sorry, I see.  This case is out of stock, temporarily.  Well, in this case...is there an alternative?

Edited by GammaGlobulin

10 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

(I will not buy from InvadeIT, by the way. InvadeIT is in BKK.  And, I am in CM.  And, I refuse to buy this online.)

Not sure why you will not buy online from InvadeIT.

I live on Samui and I buy pretty much everything from them.

Computers, large screen monitors, printers etc. Never any problem. Quick efficient and courteous service (from Phuket).

I bought a desktop PC from JIB shop here on the island - rubbish. Keeps restarting and the staff do not know why. USB ports are rubbish as well but we do have high humidity here seeing as we are on an island.. My laptop is now the main PC and the desktop is a back up.

21 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Also....

This time, I will, for the first time, buy an authentic copy of Windows 10.

Where can I get a genuine Windows 10 license for Windows 10 at the cheapest price...

Just in case someone here might know...

Tks.

Genuine license at Banana. Get Win 11. Better yet, use Ubuntu for free.

Edited by ozimoron

4 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Computers, large screen monitors, printers etc. Never any problem. Quick efficient and courteous service (from Phuket).

I bought a desktop PC from JIB shop here on the island - rubbish. Keeps restarting and the staff do not know why. USB ports are rubbish as well but we do have high humidity here seeing as we are on an island.. My laptop is now the main PC and the desktop is a back up.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  Concerning living by the ocean and running computers, I would advise against it.

Here is why....

a. I have lived in Taiwan for many years.  And, I have lived on the east coast of Taiwan where we had the NorthEast Winds blowing salt all over everything.  My computers there failed after about one year.

image.png.307f3247f9eb5cbc1484a51fdedb6c19.png

b.  Living there, at the Easternmost Point of Taiwan, it was pretty impossible to use any electronics for long

image.png.ae5d082eed05f5c7ca58fa490c619ee0.png

c.  Computers do not last very long here. Neither does anything made of metal. The onslaught of salt air blowing in from the ocean is constant throughout 12 months of the year.

b.  Don't even think of buying a computer if you want to live in this place.

17 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Genuine license at Banana. Get Win 11. Better yet, use Ubuntu for free.

I already explained why I am unable to use Linux for my purposes, at this time....

Windows 10 is better than Windows 11.

Why?

Microsoft is becoming even more intrusive and controlling, in Win11.

For example, registration.

Therefore, I will use Win10, as long as possible.

And, what do you mean by Banana?

But a license for Win10 at Banana?

There must be a cheaper option.

What is it?

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

And then there is the real world.

I have lived here on an island for 23 years and yes, I regularly have to replace laptops because the USB ports cannot be changed. (About every 4 - 5 years.)

To me, that is a small price to pay for 23 years of living in paradise. :cool: 🌴🍹⛱️ 🍻

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

And, I am in CM.

And I get 12 months of cleaner air.

Edited by Tropicalevo

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Also....

This time, I will, for the first time, buy an authentic copy of Windows 10.

Where can I get a genuine Windows 10 license for Windows 10 at the cheapest price...

Just in case someone here might know...

Tks.

Just a few questions. You say you want a 'tactile' power button. As far as I know you press it once to turn the PC on, and again to turn it off, in my case once a day, using any of my fingers or thumbs. 

Why do you not want a window.......who else is going to look at your tower?

You want a 'genuine' Windows 10???? and then a dodgy registration key, strange. Windows 10 or 11 are available on the Microsoft website free of charge. I got a key on ebay for 7 quid, works perfectly.

All the things I have bought from Invade, including a Fractal case, came from Hua Hin.

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Just a few questions. You say you want a 'tactile' power button. As far as I know you press it once to turn the PC on, and again to turn it off, in my case once a day, using any of my fingers or thumbs. 

Why do you not want a window.......who else is going to look at your tower?

You want a 'genuine' Windows 10???? and then a dodgy registration key, strange. Windows 10 or 11 are available on the Microsoft website free of charge. I got a key on ebay for 7 quid, works perfectly.

All the things I have bought from Invade, including a Fractal case, came from Hua Hin.

Windows of glass or plastic look tacky.

The power buttons on my two CoolerMaster boxes are super hard to depress. The spring tension in the button is too stiff.

When I depress the power button, I need to hold down the computer to keep it from sliding along the worktable.  Crazy.

OK. Good. I will look for a 7-quid license (key) for Windows 10 pro. Only, I doubt they exist for this price. Let me check, though.

12 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

When I depress the power button, I need to hold down the computer to keep it from sliding along the worktable.  Crazy.

Then luckily the power button on a Fractal is on the top, as I think most are. I personally have never seen a tower with the power button on the side.

Free Windows 10 Pro Product Key - Grameen Bank (grameen-info.org)

14 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Too many choices for PC restarting, Power supply, video card, hard drive, memory, cpu heatsink paste, could be anything.

If the PSU was sold with the case, it's probably the PSU.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Malware Bytes blocks your link and reports malicious activity.

Uninstall Malware Bytes? Or get one off Lazada or ebay as I did for W11 Pro years ago.

15 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Then luckily the power button on a Fractal is on the top, as I think most are. I personally have never seen a tower with the power button on the side.

Free Windows 10 Pro Product Key - Grameen Bank (grameen-info.org)

YES.  The top of the case is where the button should be.

But, the CoolerMaster put their power buttons on the front of the case where you can't find it, and where the case, no matter how heavy the computer, will slide off the desk unless you hold it with one hand.  Crazy.

Do those free Windows keys really work, for long?

In my experience, they do not.

I have never purchased a Windows license, and I only use what I can pirate from the Pirate Bay.

But, MS is getting to be a stickler for detail these days.

And, my pirated software is causing me difficulties.

MS Office and also MS OSes....

Actually, MS should PAY ME to use their crapolla software since it has so much crud and spyware included, not to mention tracking for ad purposes, and who knows what.

So. I should pay zero to MS, and MS should pay big buck to me, instead.

I am their lab test rat, obviously, since they prematurely ship buggy software, every time.

14 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

IMPORTANT NOTE:  Concerning living by the ocean and running computers, I would advise against it.

Here is why....

a. I have lived in Taiwan for many years.  And, I have lived on the east coast of Taiwan where we had the NorthEast Winds blowing salt all over everything.  My computers there failed after about one year.

image.png.307f3247f9eb5cbc1484a51fdedb6c19.png

b.  Living there, at the Easternmost Point of Taiwan, it was pretty impossible to use any electronics for long

image.png.ae5d082eed05f5c7ca58fa490c619ee0.png

c.  Computers do not last very long here. Neither does anything made of metal. The onslaught of salt air blowing in from the ocean is constant throughout 12 months of the year.

Not on the west coast of Taiwan, either. I am told on good authority there is so much sulphur dioxide coming across from mainland China all metal fittings on buildings are corroded.

6 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Not on the west coast of Taiwan, either. I am told on good authority there is so much sulphur dioxide coming across from mainland China all metal fittings on buildings are corroded.

The SO2 might be OK, but it may be the missiles from the mainland that those insular islanders will find intolerable.

For sure, a motherboard lasts only about one year on the east coast of the island if one lives very close to the ocean, as pictured in one of my last posted images.

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Malware Bytes blocks your link and reports malicious activity.

I definitely would NOT use his suggestions....OR...his links to illegitimate MS software.

For me, the Pirate Bay is usually the way to go.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The SO2 might be OK, but it may be the missiles from the mainland that those insular islanders will find intolerable.

For sure, a motherboard lasts only about one year on the east coast of the island if one lives very close to the ocean, as pictured in one of my last posted images.

IMO the mainland Chinese are learning quite a lot from the Russia-Ukraine war, and it is giving them pause.