Can i keep my family in home country from knowing if i die?

Pouatchee

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Depends on if the death is reported to the embassy in the first place, doesn't it?

Of course it will be, by the police. The naivety of some living here never ceases to amaze me.

And IMO the next of kin is considered as a living blood relative , by embassies. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

No chance, you embassy will inform them.

That's not necessarily true.

I'm aware of one embassy that will totally respect this request however they will (by law) send an internal notice to all government agencies who might need to cancel benefits etc. 

A twist, I'm aware of an American (quite unpleasant nasty man) who gave the US embassy in Bkk a written witnessed instruct to not inform anybody.

The embassy respected his wish but did inform SS etc.

A friend of the deceased (friend loves to interfere in everything) decided this was not right. He found on-line phone books for the state where he believed the deceased had come from and did find one person listed with the same but quite unusual family name.

The Pattaya interferer called the number and the brother of the deceased answered. The interferer explained the death.

The brother in the US said 'I have not recognized this man (the deceased) for 30+ years, he caused untold serious family relationship problems, money problems and misery for the family in the US and we agreed jointly, as a family, to disown him. We put notices in newspapers and in official state gazettes etc., saying that we had disowned him and we were not responsible for his debts etc. I have no further comment and please do not call me again, and he hung up'.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

No chance, you embassy will inform them.

That may be true but I am not so sure.

Embassies usually contact the names that you propose in the back of your passport.

If there are no names there, they will usually ask the police to see if there are living relatives.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Trippy said:

Why do you say that, he already has a wife, as long as she takes care of the final arrangements nobody else needs to be informed.

Tell that to the police. And don't forget most of us are sent to the police forensic dept in BKK, and the death cert. will be registered by them, as well as the local Amphur where you died.

• Thanks 1

Do hospitals do so? What if someone dies in a hospital. Do doctors inform the embassy?

Yes.

They need permission from the embassy to release the body for the funeral as I found out when my wife died here 7 years ago.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Do hospitals do so? What if someone dies in a hospital. Do doctors inform the embassy?

My friend died in a hospital, and the police attended, he was then taken by the police to BKK police forensics, then in-turn the cops inform the embassy.

• Thanks 1

As I understand it, if a foreigner dies here, then the relevant embassy is informed. However, unless they know who your ex-family are and their contact details, then  how can they tell them. Just make sure you have no records lying around with their names and contact details. The power the Canadian Embassy has over your Thai family, is that they can refuse to grant approval for a local burial/cremation. But in they genuinely have no contact details and don't know the names, then what can the Embassy do? 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

My friend died in a hospital, and the police attended, he was then taken by the police to BKK police forensics, then in-turn the cops inform the embassy.

It may well be that by international diplomatic protocols the embassy must be informed.

However it's possible (case by case) that the embassy would then be the block in terms of respecting the wishes of the deceased that family not be informed. 

Seems to me that ultimately if the deceased has decided that he/she does not want family / others to be be informed then the wishes of the deceased should be respected. 

It's actually mentioned as a distinct clear paragraph in my will that nobody (except gov't agencies who need to stop benefits etc.) should be informed of my death. Separately his is also recorded with my embassy.

Also mentioned (in my will) that my Thai adult son can inform local bodies of my death if he feels it's needed / appropriate. and I trust him to do that if needed.

I know he will take this item very seriously, he has strong feelings about protecting the privacy of the family. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

my wife can take care of that with the money i have saved for retirement visa.

You'll need a will for that. A friend died recently and she is having trouble getting at is "retirement" account.

30 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

No, there is a legal requirement that a death be registered.

Of course there is. and also it is a legal requirement to register the death at the Local Amphur where you died. I may also add the body can not be released until is registered at the Amphur.

Edited by brianthainess

3 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

So no consideration for my last will

Obvious

Dont get in life why get it in death

Thanks

The Thai police ill inform your embassy. And they will inform your relatives. Nobody will even ask for a last will and testament. 

Your embassy will be informed, but how do they know who is your next of kin?   And if you are married here then surely your wife is your next of kin?

For example I am from the midlands of England, happily married here for 23 years and my son lives in Scotland.  How does the British Embassy know that or how to get in touch with him?

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

No, there is a legal requirement that a death be registered.

Of course, there has to be a death certificate.

But that's a totally completely different subject to family in another country being informed / not being informed of the death.

I dare say a lot of John doe deaths in Thailand if can not easily identify the deceased how much effort to  identify do they really do?

Just another suicide who tied his hands behind his back before shooting himself 4 times in the head

10 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

well guys, thanks a lot. i actually have no estate in canada. the only things i had were in a container that was emptied by someone who claimed to be a friend who soon appropriated my things knowing full well i cant do anything from thailand. other than that only thing to take care of is the balance on my credit card and my wife can take care of that with the money i have saved for retirement visa.

cheers all 

Well, something we have in common @Pouatchee. Estranged family & so called friends helping themselves to storage (cleaned out). I hope it works out for you.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, MonteD said:

Well, something we have in common @Pouatchee. Estranged family & so called friends helping themselves to storage (cleaned out). I hope it works out for you.

the trolley returns

Edited by Pouatchee

16 hours ago, MonteD said:

if you are messin' that's on you. if your tellin' the truth i hope you get yours. some people dont deserve the chance that life is. as for me, well i am too far to do anything now, and who knows, maybe i never will. this guy and his wife are 15 years older than me and might croak before i can take them through due process.