Moulded plugs? garment steamers

eyeman

The tefal stading garment steamer has stopped working, no light coming on, and no signs of power.

After learning how to fix a shower here, mains power off, remove cover, press button on top thermostat with a chopstick, job done, I wanted to see if there is any tricks I can try with the steamer.

It has a white two pong plug that say 16a 250v, but it is molded and has no visible fuse slot, there is a fuse inside this I presume.

I found another black kettle plug from who knows what, that also says 16a and 250v, would a sensible first step be to try using this as a replacement plug? I have to unscrew the base of the the steamer and connect it up, but that doesn't sound too hard. Would an hour for any capacitors inside to de-energize be enough?

Anything else worth checking before I chuck it?

plugtefal.jpg

Edited by eyeman
  • Sad 1

No the white plug has no fuse, or earth. Sounds like something inside the 'stading garment steamer' has gone amiss. You could try another mains cable.

Stop wearing stading garments then. 555

• Haha 1

I opened it and gave it a good shake and now I've got a ton of salt over the floor, there's a few plastic burn marks inside where I guess the salt has been in contact with the plastic and the exposed internal blue/brown wire connectors. Ill get a multimeter later and see if I can detect electricity at the points before doing the surgery

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

No the white plug has no fuse, or earth. Sounds like something inside the 'stading garment steamer' has gone amiss. You could try another mains cable.

Stop wearing stading garments then. 555

You are correct that the white plug has no fuse, but wrong that it has no earth. It is capable of being used in a Schuko socket where the earth is on the side of the socket recces. It can also take an adapter pin that makes it usable in Thai 3 pin sockets.

The point that is rather less than clear is if the cable has an earth conductor and if so if it is connected 

20 minutes ago, eyeman said:

Would an hour for any capacitors inside to de-energize be enough?

That will depend on the circuit design, capacitors can hold charge for weeks or have a discharge resister so only fractions of a second.

simple answer, short the unplugged cables.

21 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are correct that the white plug has no fuse, but wrong that it has no earth. It is capable of being used in a Schuko socket where the earth is on the side of the socket recces. It can also take an adapter pin that makes it usable in Thai 3 pin sockets.

The point that is rather less than clear is if the cable has an earth conductor and if so if it is connected 

That will depend on the circuit design, capacitors can hold charge for weeks or have a discharge resister so only fractions of a second.

How many properties in Thailand fit Schuko sockets? But yes, the adapter pin can be used if, as you say, the cable is 3 core, or the socket is earthed.

And how many cables have capacitors built in? Surely short the pins on the cable whilst connected to the appliance.

The wire is 3 core, and the internals do have earth, but I guess without the above it's not used.

Anyway I think I've found the problem, as I didnt see any power cord damage I started exploring, this is under the heating element I think.

heatertefal.jpg

Chuck it??

Edited by eyeman

5 minutes ago, eyeman said:

The wire is 3 core, and the internals do have earth, but I guess without the above it's not used.

Anyway I think I've found the problem, as I didnt see any power cord damage I started exploring, this is under the heating element I think.

heatertefal.jpg

I think that there may be a thermal fuse inside that bit of clear'ish sleeving. 

You might like to check continuity between the tow red wires connected each end of it.

Also the thermal cutout looks a bit corroded where the blue wires are connected.

6 minutes ago, eyeman said:

heatertefal.jpg

Chuck it??

Don't know the cost but suspect any fan repair person could get it running without much cost - there may be an inline fuse inside that plastic over red wire but can not see well and probably not something easy to find/repair if not doing such work.

Just now, Muhendis said:

You might like to check continuity between the tow red wires connected each end of it.

Also the thermal cutout looks a bit corroded where the blue wires are connected.

Thanks. I'll have a look but since this sits vertical Im wondering how the salt got there unless there's a leak from above?

9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Don't know the cost but suspect any fan repair person could get it running without much cost - there may be an inline fuse inside that plastic over red wire but can not see well and probably not something easy to find/repair if not doing such work.

It has a 15A c20x2 resistor like thing under the clear thing, hat's about 1cm length and 2mm diameter.  Would you expect fan guys to remove and replace the resistor or just remove it and join the wires?  I'm probably at edge of my comfort zone at the moment, but it's been interesting, but given its water and eletric, I might just drop it off and leave it with the fan guys for free, and order a new one, at least they can gift to a relative or something

Edited by eyeman

7 minutes ago, eyeman said:

Thanks. I'll have a look but since this sits vertical Im wondering how the salt got there unless there's a leak from above?

You sure that is salt?

Where are you getting your water from?

If that thermal fuse needs replacing, your local repair shop and/or electronic components shop will have them.

6 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Correct. 2 fuses shown. The lower one should reset after the temp falls but in our experience (wife sell clothes so has several units) after a while they fail. The fuse in the sleeving, if activated, will not reset and will need replacing. Unplug unit and check with a continuity meter.

Make sure you get the same temperature settings if changing. Available at Amorn and Lazada/shoppee

Just now, Muhendis said:

2 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

You sure that is salt?

Where are you getting your water from?

If that thermal fuse needs replacing, your local repair shop and/or electronic components shop will have them.

It seems like himalayan rock salt without the pinkness, just from the government feed, no filter.

Edited by eyeman

2 minutes ago, eyeman said:

Have opened quite a few of these units over the years and they almost all look like that after 6 -12 months.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

How many properties in Thailand fit Schuko sockets?

Mine does!

And how many cables have capacitors built in?

Virtually none, as long as you are not talking about USB when the answer is the opposite, but you are not following the thread as I never suggested that they do.

Surely short the pins on the cable whilst connected to the appliance.

That is essentially what I said here is my answer,

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I did assume a degree of independent thought. :stoner: