Why do I pay 700 Baht to 3BB when I can use mobile internet for 2000 Baht/year?

I look at it this way. 3bb is 700 baht, the quality is excellent, it is extremely fast and reliable. If I was back in the west it would cost at least 4x as much. 

I have a neighbor who's here for only 7 months out of the year. He uses his phone for internet it does work but kinda spotty.

tbh if I was in his situation the day I arrive here in Thailand I'd go to 3bb and order the 1 year package and right before I left I'd go back to 3bb and canx, even if I have to pay for the whole year it'd be worth it to me. What would you do? 

5 minutes ago, Furioso said:

I look at it this way. 3bb is 700 baht, the quality is excellent, it is extremely fast and reliable. If I was back in the west it would cost at least 4x as much. 

I have a neighbor who's here for only 7 months out of the year. He uses his phone for internet it does work but kinda spotty.

tbh if I was in his situation the day I arrive here in Thailand I'd go to 3bb and order the 1 year package and right before I left I'd go back to 3bb and canx, even if I have to pay for the whole year it'd be worth it to me. What would you do? 

But what does any of that have to do with the OP?

You need to understand his particular circumstances before telling him what you do. 
He asked about mobile broadband. He already has Internet with 3BB. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, timendres said:

I am using my phone for Internet now, as I wait for AIS to install in my new place.

I hit the monthly data limit in 2 days. Had to pay 159 THB to extend my limit.

I believe you will find the data limit is the issue.

For 2000Baht/year I have unlimited internet.

21 hours ago, timendres said:

I am using my phone for Internet now, as I wait for AIS to install in my new place.

I hit the monthly data limit in 2 days. Had to pay 159 THB to extend my limit.

I believe you will find the data limit is the issue.

Even with an existing AIS SIM, you can add unlimited data packs. Not the best value, but useful in a stopgap situation. 

23 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Currently I'm paying 700 baht/month to 3BB for home internet.

But I also have internet in the telephone, which costs me 2000 Baht/year.

So I could just share my mobile internet at the home and stop paying 3BB? Or maybe buy another SIM card with yearly internet and use some router that can handle SIM cards? It's not only about money, but I also have a lot of issues with 3BB and I have to every month drive to pay for it in cash. I just like my yearly mobile internet better.

Does anybody use it like that?

I do exactly what you suggest. 30mbps unlimited dtac sim costs a bit over 2k. Use it in my phone, and it connects automatically to a Gl.Inet travel router whenever I enter the room. The TV boxes, laptops, NAS, etc all connect to the travel router. You do need to keep the phone plugged in when doing this as the battery tends to drop quickly.

Torrents are fine if you use a VPN. 

The travel routers currently used are GL.iNet GL-AR750S and GL-MT3000.

On 1/16/2024 at 4:51 PM, NextG said:

Speedtest.net is useless in these scenarios. Stop recommending it. 
https://testmy.net/ is more reliable. 

No idea ?  AIS Fibre 1 TB = Router + 100 min free mobile call charges per month = 435 baht per month

Just tried  Testmy speed  comes up 798.92 Mbps

on Speedtest comes up  902,66 Mbps 

Yes, that works fine in most cases. Formerly did that very thing. 4mbps and higher works fine, even for downloading large file tho may take longer. Streaming may be a problem. Give it a try. Can always get the home internet service back if this proves unsuitable. 

Edited by Skeptic7

On 1/16/2024 at 2:29 PM, The Cyclist said:

Sure, most of my verbal communication is via skype, but sometimes that is not possible and a call needs to be made.

Calls can be made on skype.

Our family is spread out around the world, USA Thailand, Greece, Italy , Australia.

So I have the world unlimited skype plan .($15 per month)  when I do a search for a number, it also  pulls numbers from my phones contacts. If you make a lot of international calls i highly recommend it. 

• Like 1

Sure, most of my verbal communication is via skype, but sometimes that is not possible and a call needs to be made.

You can buy Skype phone-credit, which allows you to make cheap calls to non-Skype users. 

Or as KannikaP suggested, install WhatsApp for free on your mobile, which allows you to call, message and video-chat any other WhatsApp users worldwide for free (your current phone-number will be your WhatsApp number).

On 1/16/2024 at 1:43 PM, AndyAndyAndy said:

So I could just share my mobile internet at the home and stop paying 3BB? Or maybe buy another SIM card with yearly internet and use some router that can handle SIM cards? It's not only about money, but I also have a lot of issues with 3BB and I have to every month drive to pay for it in cash. I just like my yearly mobile internet better.

I use True for home and mobile

Hmm, my 3BB 631.30 a month included unlimited internet so there are no additional phone access charges. I use the iPhone GPS a lot when driving to unknown locations. I use Skype internet calling for the rare home country phone conversations.

Edited by Wrwest

how does dropping 3BB affect that??  

On 1/16/2024 at 1:43 PM, AndyAndyAndy said:

I had 3BB and also the problems. My wife convinced me to change to Sim card internet so I got a router and DTAC annual card. It was pretty rubbish, I use kodi and even the smallest files were difficult to stream without buffering.

After I had recovered the cost of router & card went back to fiber, this time with AIS. Not perfect but a lot better than the Sim setup.

It is certainly useful to have the Sim available, last week we had 2 power cuts and used my wife's phone as a hotspot for as long as my laptop battery lasted.

If you are using a mobile internet package, whether for  using it as a mobile hot spot etc., and it is costing your 2000 thb/yr, why not look at AIS' GOMO Mobile which costs me 599 thb/yr?  It performs great for Google Maps, NFL Game Pass and MLB.com.  I don't really give a @#$% about movies.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

Calls can be made on skype.

Thanks for that, I've only been using skype for about 16 years.

I do occasionally have to make calls that cannot be made over skype.

Which I already stated in response to another poster.

yes, 3BB covers all 5 of us at home, very high speed, very high volume. On the road I have a AIS on top package baht 27/month for 800 mb. that's enough, because wereever I go regularly I will automatically be connected to Wifi.

About a dozen places like Lotus, Coffee House, daughter school etc.

can't get it better!!!

On 1/16/2024 at 4:03 PM, NextG said:

https://wcsoss.totwbs.com/promotion

https://shopee.co.th/nt.official_shop

There are a couple of threads dedicated to it. 

I currently have AIS mobile at 700 a month - this seems mcuh cheaper option if it works.

The link is to a SIM Card...my phone has two slots, so could I use one for a phone SIM and the other for this for internet use?

PH

42 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

I currently have AIS mobile at 700 a month - this seems mcuh cheaper option if it works.

The link is to a SIM Card...my phone has two slots, so could I use one for a phone SIM and the other for this for internet use?

PH

Yes and No. It is designed for fixed point Internet, rather than mobile usage. For mobile usage there will be many ‘dead spots’ where there is no signal. There is a process to determine whether it will be available at your home location. If you go via that process, you’ll have seven days to test the product. If it doesn’t suit within the test period, they’ll refund your money. Your phone would need to support Band 40. 
If you want an unlimited data SIM for mobile usage, the cheapest is NT Mobile Unlimited 10Mbps over 12 months for 1450 or MybyNT’s Unlimited 10 or 30Mbps for 1350 & 1890 baht respectively. 

You can subscribe for just one month to test any of them. 
What do you get for your 700 baht?

4 hours ago, fceligoj said:

If you are using a mobile internet package, whether for  using it as a mobile hot spot etc., and it is costing your 2000 thb/yr, why not look at AIS' GOMO Mobile which costs me 599 thb/yr?  It performs great for Google Maps, NFL Game Pass and MLB.com.  I don't really give a @#$% about movies.

There is a HUGE difference between unlimited data for 2000 baht per annum and GoMo’s 100GB for 12 months. That’s just over 12GB per month. For Unlimited you can add a 10Mbps pack for 149 baht per 30 days. 
Did you use a Thai ID?

31 minutes ago, NextG said:

Yes and No. It is designed for fixed point Internet, rather than mobile usage. For mobile usage there will be many ‘dead spots’ where there is no signal. There is a process to determine whether it will be available at your home location. If you go via that process, you’ll have seven days to test the product. If it doesn’t suit within the test period, they’ll refund your money. Your phone would need to support Band 40. 
If you want an unlimited data SIM for mobile usage, the cheapest is NT Mobile Unlimited 10Mbps over 12 months for 1450 or MybyNT’s Unlimited 10 or 30Mbps for 1350 & 1890 baht respectively. 

You can subscribe for just one month to test any of them. 
What do you get for your 700 baht?

5G HD Max speed  50GB a month limit then speed drops (never use it all).  Just checked and came off deal this month so 748 incl tax going forward.

Not sure what "Max Speed" means...speed test says 120mbps down 11mbps up

Rarely use phone stuff

PH

Edited by Phulublub

11 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

5G HD Max speed  50GB a month limit then speed drops (never use it all).  Just checked and came off deal this month so 748 incl tax going forward.

Not sure what "Max Speed" means...speed test says 120mbps down 11mbps up

Rarely use phone stuff

PH

Avenues I would explore would be to transfer your number to PAYG and then subscribe to a cheaper package on the same network. 
For example:

• 5G internet 20GB (+internet speed 15Mbps 60GB per month)
  • Then speed reduces to 1Mbps
  • Unlimited free calls to all networks
  • Unlimited free AIS WIFI
  • AIS Play Family free
  • Press *777*7673# to get 10GB free internet

300 baht per month 

Alternatively, ‘move to GoMo’ if possible: https://gomo.th/package