Why do I pay 700 Baht to 3BB when I can use mobile internet for 2000 Baht/year?

I pay 3BB B631 a month for 1GB download speed (fiber to router), constantly downloading movies, games and music with no problem, even with a VPN on all the time it is still superfast. Unlimited

To do that with any SIM would be impossible, I would say. Depends on your needs, just for surfing maybe it would be ok

35 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

5G HD Max speed  50GB a month limit then speed drops (never use it all).  Just checked and came off deal this month so 748 incl tax going forward.

Not sure what "Max Speed" means...speed test says 120mbps down 11mbps up

Rarely use phone stuff

PH

Third option, if you don’t need Max Speed, is to transfer your Postpaid SIM to Prepaid and then to subscribe to AIS Marathon Max package for 2200 baht for 12 months of usage. You get 50GB monthly, but it’s capped at 15Mbps. 

If you want Unlimited, then moving to GoMo is your best bet. 99 baht for a 12 month validity SIM and 149 baht per 30 days for Unlimited 10 Mbps. 
There are so many variables. But I’ve kept it with AIS for your case. 

9 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There are a very few numbers that automatically disconnect if they detect it’s a Skype call

I agree. So far there has been no UK number i can't call.

I think that other guy is talking nonsense.

I tried the sim data.. got dtac 1 year 30mbps @ 1600 thb, bought a special router for it as well.. (yes tried hotspot on phones)  .. however... both in patong and another main location it is never really good... speeds vary all the time,

its a toy really..

1000/500 AIS fibre.. best ever.. and I tried em all.. tried tre and ais sims..  tot, cat.. 3bb (ok)

for some reason sim data is just not the same.. I still pay it as I like running around.... as well

I see someone posted all with True...  could be an option if their fibre as good...

good luck all,

keep reporting  whats real is read and bs ads are not

On 1/16/2024 at 4:54 PM, NextG said:

Why would he need to test them? Do you think he doesn’t know that 3BB is faster?

Why are you writing nonsensically? I use my mobile connection for streaming media. Are you suggesting that 40 Mbps is only suitable for ‘Email and Facebook etc’?

You are literally making it up as you go along 😊

no, you are assuming your use case is universally valid.

Sure you can stream a 4k movie using 4g but if you wanted to download another one simultaneously and/or have someone else in the house using the network to stream, listen to music, game, or download anything, you will run out of headroom quickly. With multiple users on the network 40 Mbps gets congested very quickly. 

Then of course there is the issue of latency. if you game the network will be considerably slower, not to mention the eons it would take to download massive updates or new games.

Then there is the issue of congestion on mobile networks, especially in populous areas where many users don't generally have access to a terrestrial connection,

I run a smart home with over 50 connected devices, latency can affect that.  I also upload large files regularly for work, a 4g sim generally has much slower upload than download speeds. Your cheap solution works for you,  but it doesn't work for everybody. not by a long shot

Edited by n00dle

51 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

There are a very few numbers that automatically disconnect if they detect it’s a Skype call

i don't know anyone that has used skype in almost 10 years.

35 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

Skype to phone!! ...not the video calls.

Probably best voip available.

If you have Microsoft 365 Family, all members get 100 minutes to almost anywhere included. Works perfectly if you need to call banks etc in UK.

47 minutes ago, n00dle said:

i don't know anyone that has used skype in almost 10 years.

You don't know me then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

no, you are assuming your use case is universally valid.

Sure you can stream a 4k movie using 4g but if you wanted to download another one simultaneously and/or have someone else in the house using the network to stream, listen to music, game, or download anything, you will run out of headroom quickly. With multiple users on the network 40 Mbps gets congested very quickly. 

Then of course there is the issue of latency. if you game the network will be considerably slower, not to mention the eons it would take to download massive updates or new games.

Then there is the issue of congestion on mobile networks, especially in populous areas where many users don't generally have access to a terrestrial connection,

I run a smart home with over 50 connected devices, latency can affect that.  I also upload large files regularly for work, a 4g sim generally has much slower upload than download speeds. Your cheap solution works for you,  but it doesn't work for everybody. not by a long shot

The only assumption there, is YOURS. The OP states that he prefers his mobile broadband connection. That’s good enough for me to not argue with him. You can argue with him if you like. I’m not interested in what you nor anyone else other than the OP wants. 

1 hour ago, Seeall said:

I tried the sim data.. got dtac 1 year 30mbps @ 1600 thb, bought a special router for it as well.. (yes tried hotspot on phones)  .. however... both in patong and another main location it is never really good... speeds vary all the time,

its a toy really..

1000/500 AIS fibre.. best ever.. and I tried em all.. tried tre and ais sims..  tot, cat.. 3bb (ok)

for some reason sim data is just not the same.. I still pay it as I like running around.... as well

I see someone posted all with True...  could be an option if their fibre as good...

good luck all,

keep reporting  whats real is read and bs ads are not

Same old story of people looking at advertising and not understanding the speed is not guaranteed at their location. Test first before committing. Most cannot be bothered, buy and then complain. 

I am VERY satisfied with 3BB.

And, my phone's DTAC bandwidth is not good on my NOTE4.

So, I would never try to share my NOTE4 DTAC WiFi with my desktop.

I have 1Gbps UP, and 1Gbps DOWN, using 3BB.

Paying about Bt.750...I think...if I recall correctly....

Very satisfied with 3BB.

When I call 3BB, the English service is excellent, and I never need wait for an operator, AND...they always send a technician immediately when needed.

So, I will NEVER switch.

And, I would never consider using mobile internet.

6 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I am VERY satisfied with 3BB.

And, my phone's DTAC bandwidth is not good on my NOTE4.

So, I would never try to share my NOTE4 DTAC WiFi with my desktop.

I have 1Gbps UP, and 1Gbps DOWN, using 3BB.

Paying about Bt.750...I think...if I recall correctly....

Very satisfied with 3BB.

When I call 3BB, the English service is excellent, and I never need wait for an operator, AND...they always send a technician immediately when needed.

So, I will NEVER switch.

And, I would never consider using mobile internet.

Obviously the OP’s experience differs. Hence this thread. So tedious reading post after post that has nothing to do with the topic. 

14 hours ago, ignis said:

No idea ?  AIS Fibre 1 TB = Router + 100 min free mobile call charges per month = 435 baht per month

Just tried  Testmy speed  comes up 798.92 Mbps

on Speedtest comes up  902,66 Mbps 

is that a special promo? i pay ais 650

57 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Some of the numbers that auto disconnect are U.K. ones so no he is not talking nonsense 

He usually is 555

Give me an example - and i will phone it and see

Thailand interest rates are very cheap comparing to Europe which is €30/month (1.160 Thai Baht)and in Greece /Athens I pay €20/month (773Thai Baht) unlimited data etc.

Edited by Paris333

8 hours ago, john donson said:

is that a special promo? i pay ais 650

There is always special promos, each year on contract renewal chat, say your going to another provider and the price come down

9 hours ago, Martin Brit said:

Everyone has WhatsApp? Surely or Messenger 

NO   years ago had something called AOL then ICQ - friend put on something called LINE a few years ago here, never used

• 1 month later...
On 1/16/2024 at 2:29 PM, The Cyclist said:

Sure, most of my verbal communication is via skype, but sometimes that is not possible and a call needs to be made.

agreed - cant use those apps to call your home bank, government, and so on. I was on hold for several extra long waiting times (Denmark. Canada) esp when my online Canadian bank app was blocked. My AIS mobile plan  is less than 400 . no joy when I got a couple of 1,000 baht bills, in recent months. (despite using the 003 facility) . 

On 1/19/2024 at 6:39 AM, ignis said:

NO   years ago had something called AOL then ICQ - friend put on something called LINE a few years ago here, never used

LINE is great. Thai friends and business contacts love it

I'm hoping this is not an off-topic question. I am looking into buying a new phone for my wife - one that is 99% hassle free. to define that - a phone you open up and the phone icon is on screen, always. i have located the Jitterbug phone. Looks perfect, but it's advertised as needing a connection to Verison or other US/UK provider, plus a monthly fee. Can this product be used in Thailand, assuming you can get it unlocked and insert a Thai sim? tia.

So I could just share my mobile internet at the home and stop paying 3BB? Or maybe buy another SIM card with yearly internet and use some router that can handle SIM cards? It's not only about money, but I also have a lot of issues with 3BB and I have to every month drive to pay for it in cash. I just like my yearly mobile internet better.

Does anybody use it like that?

Yes I do.

tp-like mobile router with a True unlimited internet Sim Card and both work Great.....

Using it for my mobile phone and Laptop..............

Win