Public places (coffee shops, fast food restaurants) with good wifi connection

StayinThailand2much

Looks like a plaintive plea from an impoverished farang digital nomad seeking free internet services who is working on line  but  no doubt on a tourist or Mua Thai visa. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, NextG said:

What’s wrong with mobile broadband/data?

Why would anyone depend on free WiFi?? 
Even Hotspot packages such as TrueWiFi are available. Even free WiFi: https://portal.trueinternet.co.th/wifi/portal/authen/web/freewifi.php?lang=en

I admit that I'm not very tech-savvy. Yes, I could sign up for packages with my provider (DTAC), using my android as a hotspot for my laptop. My question is, would the internet speed this way work 1:1 on my laptop?

Edited by StayinThailand2much

22 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Where can I find such a place? Time: 9 a.m., Bang Kae or Silom.

You intend to be the first when they open and stay until they close by ordering one cup of coffee, using their Wifi??😂

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I admit that I'm not very tech-savy. Yes, I could sign up for packages with my provider (DTAC), using my android as a hotspot for my laptop. My question is, would the internet speed this way work 1:1 on my laptop?

Can you write in an understandable manner? What is 1:1 supposed to mean?

The speed you will receive is dependent on your location. No one can tell you what is available. You have to find the location where you want to work, run a speed test and then buy an appropriate package. 
Is your phone a dual SIM device?

8 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I admit that I'm not very tech-savy. Yes, I could sign up for packages with my provider (DTAC), using my android as a hotspot for my laptop. My question is, would the internet speed this way work 1:1 on my laptop?

For example, I have an Unlimited data package; 20Mbps Down 20 Mbps Up. Inclusive of any network calls and Unlimited use of WiFi Hotspots for 300 baht inclusive. Probably good enough for most. 
DTAC tends to be asymmetrical. For example; 20 Mbps Down but perhaps just 4Mbps up. Not as useful if you need to upload large files but perhaps better than some free WiFi that might limit it to perhaps 1Mbps. 

25 minutes ago, NextG said:

DTAC tends to be asymmetrical. For example; 20 Mbps Down but perhaps just 4Mbps up. Not as useful if you need to upload large files but perhaps better than some free WiFi that might limit it to perhaps 1Mbps. 

I don't have a dual SIM. Using my android as a hotspot, I noticed that the shared internet connection on my laptop is slow, i.e. not enough for larger files to download. I could sign up for an "unlimited package for 7 days". - My question is, would the internet connection of my laptop be 'unlimited' too, i.e. have the same speed as on my android?

9 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I don't have a dual SIM. Using my android as a hotspot, I noticed that the shared internet connection on my laptop is slow, i.e. not enough for larger files to download. I could sign up for an "unlimited package for 7 days". - My question is, would the internet connection of my laptop be 'unlimited' too, i.e. have the same speed as on my android?

Yes and in the ballpark. Unlimited refers to the volume of data, rather than the ‘speed’. 

Some claim to have been offered a 30Mbps 30 day package for 250 baht, though haven’t mentioned as to how it was offered. They stated that “it came up in their phone”. 😊

Do you need Unlimited? If large files are involved, perhaps a Max Speed pack is more suitable. How much data do you think you might use on a daily basis?
What ‘shared Internet connection’ is being referred to above?

3 hours ago, NextG said:

Yes and in the ballpark. Unlimited refers to the volume of data, rather than the ‘speed’. 

Some claim to have been offered a 30Mbps 30 day package for 250 baht, though haven’t mentioned as to how it was offered. They stated that “it came up in their phone”. 😊

Do you need Unlimited? If large files are involved, perhaps a Max Speed pack is more suitable. How much data do you think you might use on a daily basis?
What ‘shared Internet connection’ is being referred to above?

Need a package to do video-conferencing (Google Meet, Zoom).

5 hours ago, shunter said:

Looks like a plaintive plea from an impoverished farang digital nomad seeking free internet services who is working on line  but  no doubt on a tourist or Mua Thai visa. 

Impoverished? No. It's not about 'free', but fast. My visa doesn't matter, as I need it for foreign clients, so it's no work, or whatever in Thailand.

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Need a package to do video-conferencing (Google Meet, Zoom).

You need to test your existing SIM. Buy a cheap full speed/max speed day pack and then walk around the spot you might choose to with; testing the speeds with https://testmy.net/ Choosing the Combined Test option. You are looking for relatively stable connectivity. Take a screenshot of each test. This should build a picture as to whether it will be a reliable option for you. I get good speeds whilst out and about with DTAC, so it should be fine. 
It doesn’t need to be super fast, so an Unlimited pack may better suit if you’ll be online regularly. 
A 6Mbps+ connection should suffice if the connection is stable. Of course the higher the better. 

In the absence of any offers via the DTAC application, an Unlimited 8Mbps connection is 35 baht per day for test purpose. Unlimited 10Mbps is 482 baht for 30 days. 

• Thanks 1