Vietnamese duo arrested as police smash theft ring in Bangkok targeting foreign tourists at Grand Palace

webfact

image.jpeg

Police Major General Noppasin Poolsawat of the Metropolitan Police Bureau and top officers with the force on Tuesday briefed the media. This was following the arrest of the Vietnamese pair (inset). Both entered Thailand on tourist visas, one by land from Cambodia and the other by air.

Vietnamese duo arrested for targeting tourists at the Grand Palace in Metropolitan Police crackdown. Japanese tourist’s bag was snatched and ฿459,670 was charged by the pair with their credit card swipe machine. Tourists urged to stay vigilant in the capital as police up their game and tighten security for visitors.

Police in Bangkok this week warned about a renewed danger of pickpocketing at key tourist attractions. It came after two Vietnamese tourists were arrested. This followed a series of incidents including a bag snatched from a Japanese tourist on December 30th. It took place at the famous Temple of the Emerald Buddha at the Grand Palace.

In a significant operation, this week, Thai police in Bangkok smashed a Vietnamese criminal pair engaged in pickpocketing. The crew were responsible for a spate of thefts targeting foreign tourists at popular temples across the capital. 

by Carla Boonkong & Pranee O' Connor

Full story: Thai Examiner.com 2024-01-19

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sometimes one wishes the laws to punish wrong doers will be like in other places like Iran for instance, where if you sneeze out of place you'll get hanged of a crane in the city's square..

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 1

I wonder if there are also any Thais in that area who rip off tourists.

Where is the news about arrests of those people? Or do the Thais share part of their "earnings" with the people who are supposed to arrest them?

Edited by OneMoreFarang

3 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

How are two thieves a ring?

According to the main article, there were four thieves.

Not an easy article to follow with all if the 'inserts'.

At length, four thieves targeted a Japanese tourist, Mr Shuji Takato. In brief, he fell victim to a brazen bag snatch. 

5 hours ago, RT555 said:

These pickpockets are silent and swift working pairs or three's.

Witnessed that on Sukhumvit Sri 13 one afternoon.

Vietnamese pickpocket gangs used to come to Thailand whenever there was a big concert, like the Modanna concert 10 years ago and work the jammed-in concert crowd.  I remember the police busted about a dozen of them.

6 hours ago, RT555 said:

These pickpockets are silent and swift working pairs or three's.

Witnessed that on Sukhumvit Sri 13 one afternoon.

Always a little apprehensive walking from the taco bar on the corner until the entrance of trendy okay okay the pub next door or the sportsmans, its as if the shady characters do loops on that 100metre stretch but you have only a metre space to share on a good day.  Tbf the gauntlet to the nearest BTS isn't much better either african hookers, africans brothers I never knew I had, fat indians telling me I'm lucky or special, thai beggars with a perfect story of just wanting to get back to Surin, the bangladesh guy that needs money for babyfood same old scam for 7 years now, the taxi touts but at least you have some clearance to avoid them.

• Like 1