Two Foreign Tourists Arrested on Pattaya Beach for Refusing to Pay for Beach Chairs

webfact

On 1/19/2024 at 2:04 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

Send them back to wherever!  Probably India... given the location of the incident... but could just be your run of the mill entitled Europeans.

.. or your run of the mill entitled American karens.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, pomchop said:

Two articles 9 years old....?  I suspect for every story of a chair vendor doing something improper there are a few dozen stories of people trying to refuse to pay or otherwise being an axxhole.

I could also relate a few stories from Patong like a European lady being threatened and having sand kicked on her by a vendor when she refused to move from his patch, and the scams that were operated by some local councils selling off the whole beach in sections to vendors.

This was the reason the army, shortly after the coup, ordered all chairs from the beaches and eventually brought in the zones that couldn't exceed a certain percentage of the beaches. 

The same sand that you like to bury your head in was sold off for a premium by crooks.

18 hours ago, JimTripper said:

A lot of people would not buy anything if they were being charged to sit down to drink it.

What we need is signs at a height of 4 ft 6 telling us the fixed prices! I have been through this discussion with these scam artists, so much for the chair, the table is more, more for an umbrella,  and then you have to pay for all of them even though you don't need them. 

16 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

What we need is signs at a height of 4 ft 6 telling us the fixed prices! I have been through this discussion with these scam artists, so much for the chair, the table is more, more for an umbrella,  and then you have to pay for all of them even though you don't need them. 

Yes... private enterprise should be done away with throughout the world because you don't want to pay for it... ever thought that you not wanting to pay is the problem rather than free enterprise... just say no to the vendors and walk away.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Yes... private enterprise should be done away with throughout the world because you don't want to pay for it... ever thought that you not wanting to pay is the problem rather than free enterprise... just say no to the vendors and walk away.

What are you blathering about, go to bed, it's late!

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

What are you blathering about, go to bed, it's late!

The people who rent out chairs, umbrellas, tables, etc are in your estimation "scam artists"... in my view they are business people who should be at liberty to charge whatever they want for their goods and services... you're the one "blathering"... if you do not want to pay for the goods or services... just walk away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

The people who rent out chairs, umbrellas, tables, etc are in your estimation "scam artists"... in my view they are business people who should be at liberty to charge whatever they want for their goods and services... you're the one "blathering"... if you do not want to pay for the goods or services... just walk away.

Some are, some are not. They have a concession from City Hall that is supposed to define their prices. If they stick to that all well and good. When they start bullying people who want to throw a towel directly on the sand, then it becomes another matter. They do not own the beach, nor are they entitled to do as they wish, charge what they wish. They are mostly OK, but some get cheeky. We just about got rid of the damned jet-ski, rip off mafia and don't need more of it. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1