Two Foreign Tourists Arrested on Pattaya Beach for Refusing to Pay for Beach Chairs

webfact

They should be considered lucky that only the police came. I would have expected nothing less than a mob beat up, you know,  this is pattaya. 

2 hours ago, pomchop said:

Next they planned to stop at a restaurant and have lunch for free then maybe over for a free beer or two then a free massage....WHAT?  you have to pay for all this stuff?  What kind of place is this. It is not fair.  How do you spell DUMB.

I thought it was in the price of the tourist visa!

• Thumbs Up 1

Ferchrissake! What do the chairs cost, 100 or 200 baht? These beach vendors are struggling to get by and these losers want to take food out of their mouths? I've only used the chairs a couple of times, and was struck by how hard these folks try and make your time memorable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember when the only beach chairs available for rent were those horribly uncomfortable ones with a narrow wooden frame and itchy canvas to sit on. From the looks of the chairs in the photos, they've made a lot of progress in terms of offering nicer chairs for rent. Curious what the going rate to rent a beach chair like those featured in the photos is?

You would think that with all the need for and emphasis on increasing tourism that the BiB would find a way to solve these stupid issues in a way slightly less visible than arrest and a trip to the station. There is not a good way to play this in the press even if the two actors were being idiots. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hockeybik said:

You would think that with all the need for and emphasis on increasing tourism that the BiB would find a way to solve these stupid issues in a way slightly less visible than arrest and a trip to the station. There is not a good way to play this in the press even if the two actors were being idiots. 

We don't like it when Thais administer street justice, however well deserved.

The publicity's OK. Was handled peacefully, helps discourage other wannabe beach chair squatters.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, stoner said:

so which is it ? good sleuthing with the picture clearly showing one is not an indian fellow. 

They could be from a galaxy far far away where everything is free and easy. Probably double-parked their UAP

Man in black shorts appears to be wearing a wool (?) black and white scarf (?). As beach wear might be related to custom/nationality/religion than to something one would normally wear on a sunny beach like in Thailand. In which case the scarf wearer might be Persian?

fb.jpg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

I thought the beach was a public space.  Do the beach chair mafia have a permit to set up?  Did they rent the area from the municipality?  Or do they just hand the cops a couple thousand a month to unlawfully take over public areas.

And why do you think it's all free and that these Thais who work renting chairs don't pay the municipality a tax? If the police arrested them it was certainly for this reason.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

'The names, ages, and nationalities of the men arrested were not released by relevant police.

There are no relevant police in Pattaya.

You want to have even their phone numbers?😂

I think the whole incident is not worth to mention but caused a huge police action and media attention. And as you can see there is indeed police in Pattaya. Always busy.🙏

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, mikebell said:

'The names, ages, and nationalities of the men arrested were not released by relevant police.

There are no relevant police in Pattaya.

You want to have even their phone numbers?😂

I think the whole incident is not worth to mention but caused a huge police action and media attention. And as you can see there is indeed police in Pattaya. Always busy.🙏