Concrete mixer not delivering paid volume

gearbox

Yep, I had same problem, with 2nd house at Udon Thani and consistently the same % off on 3 deliveries.   After 2 deliveries, I advised them they were off.  3 rd delivery, someone came out to verify I was ordering the correct amount.   Truck showed up a couple hours later, and same % off :coffee1:

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its not a hard volume to calculate if the 'shape' is relatively even and depth is consistent.

Its primary school maths to be honest   length x breadth x depth = volume     with ground slabs, most people do not ascertain the correct depth,  simple as that 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There's simply no incentive for honesty here with things like this

Well there is if they are supplying a large contractor who will use a lot of concrete,  But supplying foreigners on a one off basis is a perfect opportunity for a bit of short measure.   Getting the GF to order it may have seemed like a good idea, but they will have seen straight through that one, Ordering concrete is a mans job and I doubt many Thais leave it to the missis.  She might as well have told them she was a "mia farang"     Put it down to experience and get  her brother to do it next time would be my advice

34 minutes ago, jvs said:

Very easy to calculate how much you need,lenght x wide x height.

and that's just the driver ...  what about the concrete

:sorry:   I'll just get my coat ..

Edited by steven100
  • Thumbs Up 1

On a lighter note , last year I ordered 10 cube  for delivery at 8 am I had a gang waiting  but by 10am it still hadn't arrived.  I phoned them up and the reason they gave me was that the driver was drunk out of his skull, they couldn't find a replacement , but promised to send it as soon as he could physically climb into the cab,  It eventually arrived at about 1pm.  the driver , clutching a bottle of Lao Khao literally could hardly stand up, and one of my lads had to reverse the truck into position after he tried and failed three times

• Haha 1

I read on the pages here a few days back about the same issue with fuel. A guy got a five litre tank filled with gas. It was short by 50 mls per litre. Apparently the law here is different than in the west, in the west, the stated volume or weight must be the minimum given, here they are allowed to reduce the amount the give by 1% to be within the law. Land of Scams. 

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Can a lot of modern cars with electronic dashboards tell how many litres of fuel are in the tank?

Yeah cars have fuel gauges... mine wont tell me if 78lts went in when I paid for 80 though.

Which cars do ?

7 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

I don't understand how would that scam work? 

Let's say I'm making concrete patio I and calculate that I need 4 cubic meters. I order 4. But they deliver 2. Half of my pour is empty and I instantly know that I was not given enough?

With price 1800 Baht / 1 cubic meter everybody is ordering exactly how much they need. I don't see how could they get away with giving customers just half?

Perhaps the correct amount departs the mixing site but the driver diverts to his own property / friends property and offloads 'a bit', so when the truck gets to you your delivery is short?

• 1 month later...

It is not only Thailand.  Builder friend in UK described Ready-mix delivery drivers as the biggest bunch of crooks he knew.  I noticed that on a local building site, concrete deliveries were poured into 1 cu.m. bucket and this was craned to the  pouring site.  Also, the 'mix'  of each batch was checked before any was poured.

The driver must have already sold the concrete he is skimming off, as it will not keep long in his truck

On 1/21/2024 at 2:37 PM, gearbox said:

My gf ordered 4 cubic metres concrete mix,  but by my estimates the truck delivered no more than 2.5 cubic metres. Is there anything she can do about this? How widespread is this practice?

ask your question on this Facebook groups. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/727056641837249/?ref=share&mibextid=NSMWBT

https://www.facebook.com/groups/expatbuildinginthailand/?ref=share&mibextid=NSMWBT

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

13 minutes ago, Robin said:

It is not only Thailand.  Builder friend in UK described Ready-mix delivery drivers as the biggest bunch of crooks he knew.  I noticed that on a local building site, concrete deliveries were poured into 1 cu.m. bucket and this was craned to the  pouring site.  Also, the 'mix'  of each batch was checked before any was poured.

The driver must have already sold the concrete he is skimming off, as it will not keep long in his truck

Simply not true, building companies have been known to order too much concrete and if the driver knows anywhere that concrete can be used they are only too happy to give it to the driver. You cannot take it back to the depot and mix it in with the next load as VAT has already been paid on the concrete. So the driver doesn't need to skim any concrete, many times he will have some left over concrete in his drum.