Has anyone here filed tax paperwork with Thai Authorities??

Do you own a Thai business??

Guess I want to see who has filed paperwork for taxes in Thailand who is a retiree getting a pension. Apparently it's a thing now and thousands of retirees have been filing paperwork all along. I didn't know. Did you?????

• Confused 7
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

Do you own a Thai business??

Guess I want to see who has filed paperwork for taxes in Thailand who is a retiree getting a pension. Apparently it's a thing now and thousands of retirees have been filing paperwork all along. I didn't know. Did you?????

Rubbish on the retirees part...where do people get these "apparently things".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don't know, I haven't filed. I was under the impression that you don't need to file until the end of the year. I file everything on the last day if I owe money. Of course nobody knows if all the people on this board have filed unless they respond to your question.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, novacova said:

No.

I haven’t and won’t, have no reason to do so.

No, I didn’t know. I’m sorry for these folks who enjoy wasting their time unless they have a business in TH or generating taxable income from abroad as a resident in TH.

Im on that boat too.

Thanks

There have been previous reports that those in receipt of pensions from Norway, normally taxed in Norway, can have this tax waived if they can show they have declared this income in Thailand and paid paid any Thai taxes due on that income, even if the Thai tax computes to less than the calculated Norway tax. That is under the terms of the DTA between Norway and Thailand.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1047340-is-retirement-income-subject-to-income-tax/page/2/  (post near top of pg2)

I recall seeing comments from those in receipt of pensions from Norway who do file their tax returns in Thailand showing pension income.

No idea if this applies to pensions paid by other countries.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, PPGuy said:

There have been previous reports that those in receipt of pensions from Norway,..........

Same thing for Italy, it is ten years that I file a tax return for my pension in Thailand, and I pay taxes that are lower than what I would have to pay in my origin country.

Not so difficult......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, PPGuy said:

There have been previous reports that those in receipt of pensions from Norway, normally taxed in Norway, can have this tax waived if they can show they have declared this income in Thailand and paid paid any Thai taxes due on that income, even if the Thai tax computes to less than the calculated Norway tax. That is under the terms of the DTA between Norway and Thailand.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1047340-is-retirement-income-subject-to-income-tax/page/2/  (post near top of pg2)

I recall seeing comments from those in receipt of pensions from Norway who do file their tax returns in Thailand showing pension income.

No idea if this applies to pensions paid by other countries.

Many countries have DTA's with Thailand, everyone is waiting for clarification on their role in the latest change.

• Like 1

Three days in and it appears that retirees/pensioners from Italy and Norway (at least) have been filing tax returns in Thailand, in order to take advantage of lower rates of tax. And also that some posters have received the forms in the mail but thrown them away, I also did that for a few years, many years ago. Receiving those forms means that taxes were filed at one point and that the RD have the taxpayers address.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Three days in and it appears that retirees/pensioners from Italy and Norway (at least) have been filing tax returns in Thailand, in order to take advantage of lower rates of tax. And also that some posters have received the forms in the mail but thrown them away, I also did that for a few years, many years ago. Receiving those forms means that taxes were filed at one point and that the RD have the taxpayers address.

Might as well shut this thread down, the thousands of foreigners who file for taxes in Thailand must not read Aseannow

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Might as well shut this thread down, the thousands of foreigners who file for taxes in Thailand must not read Aseannow

I think we might leave it run for a while, it's been useful and interesting to learn that Norwegians and Italians file tax returns here, in order to take advantage of lower tax rates.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

So from where did you learn about these 'thousands of foreigners who file for taxes in Thailand' from?

1 hour ago, Doctor Tom said:

Utter  nonsense 

From Mike Lister's Simple Tax Guide

10. Because you are Tax Resident, YOU must review your inbound overseas Funds Transfers each year to determine if they represent income assessable to tax in Thailand, nobody else will do this for you. Our current interpretation of the RD rules suggest that if your assessable income does not exceed 120,000 baht per year, you do not need to file a tax return (60,000 baht if your only assessable income is bank interest paid to you by a bank in Thailand). If your assessable income is over 120,000 baht per year, you must file a Thai tax return between 1 January and 31 March. 

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah.  I filled taxes for the three years that I worked here - and - when banks where still offering interest rates at around 4%.  It all got refunded. 

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

So from where did you learn about these 'thousands of foreigners who file for taxes in Thailand' from?

Me! I made the statement that thousands of foreigners filed tax here every year but that there were no official numbers from the RD stating how many so any figures had to be anecdotal. I went on to say that there are over 300,000 Westerners in Thailand, another poster suggested that 1% or 3,000 might be accurate. The OP is therefore trying to disprove that thousands do file taxes here but already the thread has demonstrated that some Italians and Norwegians do, because it means a lower rate of tax. I imagine the OP is hoping that 299,001 people will show and say they don't or that no more than 999 will say they do.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

From Mike Lister's Simple Tax Guide

10. Because you are Tax Resident, YOU must review your inbound overseas Funds Transfers each year to determine if they represent income assessable to tax in Thailand, nobody else will do this for you. Our current interpretation of the RD rules suggest that if your assessable income does not exceed 120,000 baht per year, you do not need to file a tax return (60,000 baht if your only assessable income is bank interest paid to you by a bank in Thailand). If your assessable income is over 120,000 baht per year, you must file a Thai tax return between 1 January and 31 March. 

Because you are Tax Resident,

Most if not all retired expats, remitting living expenses to Thailand, are not tax residents. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

A tax resident is ANYONE who remains here for more than 180 days per calendar year, I suggest that most expat retirees here are tax resident.

well good luck with that stupid idea for retired expats.  It will never happen

1 minute ago, Doctor Tom said:

well good luck with that stupid idea for retired expats.  It will never happen

To which 'stupid idea' are you referring please?

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

12 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Me! I made the statement that thousands of foreigners filed tax here every year but that there were no official numbers from the RD stating how many so any figures had to be anecdotal. I went on to say that there are over 300,000 Westerners in Thailand, another poster suggested that 1% or 3,000 might be accurate. The OP is therefore trying to disprove that thousands do file taxes here but already the thread has demonstrated that some Italians and Norwegians do, because it means a lower rate of tax. I imagine the OP is hoping that 299,001 people will show and say they don't or that no more than 999 will say they do.

With respect Mike, I put the question to to the O/P, not you. Would you mind allowing him to answer it?

30 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

To which 'stupid idea' are you referring please?

Are you trying to tell us all that unless you read a Thailand forum, that is the only way you can find out that you have to register for tax?  Where is that is the visa rules, or the immigration rules?  I'll tell you, nowhere. I use an argent for my extensions, she has told me nothing of this idea, because it doesn't concern me, or many thousand of other expats.   If you run a business here, or are a Thai resident working overseas and remitting back to here, then you are liable; maybe. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

With respect Mike, I put the question to to the O/P, not you. Would you mind allowing him to answer it?

By all means, it's just that the OP has already requested the thread is closed but I decided to leave it open for more replies hence he may not return.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Are you trying to tell us all that unless you read a Thailand forum, that is the only way you can find out that you have to register for tax?  Where is that is the visa rules, or the immigration rules?  I'll tell you, nowhere. I use an argent for my extensions, she has told me nothing of this idea, because it doesn't concern me, or many thousand of other expats.   If you run a business here, or are a Thai resident working overseas and remitting back to here, then you are liable; maybe. 

Immigration and Revenue are two different parts of government that are not connected, there is no reason why a visa agent should tell anyone that there is an income tax requirement of visa holders, unless Immigration were to impose a requirement. It is the responsibility of visa holders to understand and abide by the laws of the country, nobody else.

• Agree 1