Infant with critical heart defect rushed to Bangkok for life-saving surgery

webfact

image.jpeg

A seven-month-old baby with a critical heart condition was successfully transferred to Chulalongkorn Hospital in Bangkok for emergency life-saving surgery after showing signs of severe distress and requiring a ventilator. The infant’s journey from the Nong Khai border region included bypassing the city of Udon Thani via Mittraphap Road and onward through Khon Kaen to the capital.

Today, at 1.20pm, the young child, a boy of only seven months, arrived at Chulalongkorn Hospital. He had been suffering from a severe heart defect known as a leak in the lower chambers of the heart. The medical condition had turned the child’s complexion to a worrying shade of blue, indicating oxygen deprivation, and necessitated the use of a ventilator to aid his breathing.

The transfer from the northeastern border province of Nong Khai was a race against time. Starting at 7.30am earlier that day, medical personnel carefully monitored the infant’s precarious condition throughout the transport. The intricate journey covered 700 kilometres, bypassing major urban areas to ensure the quickest possible transit to the hospital in Bangkok.

by Nattapong Westwood

PHOTO: via Channel 7

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The transfer from the northeastern border province of Nong Khai was a race against time. Starting at 7.30am earlier that day, medical personnel carefully monitored the infant’s precarious condition throughout the transport. The intricate journey covered 700 kilometres, bypassing major urban areas to ensure the quickest possible transit to the hospital in Bangkok.

As FlyingTiger states, If only a helicopter was available for a fast transfer.

Edited by hotchilli
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, retarius said:

I used to hear a lot about blue babies when I was a child. I thought it was to do with Rhesus factor.

The 'Blue Baby' syndrome became known after 'heathy babies' once at home developed issues after being fed formula made with water with high nitrate levels....

.... If I remember correctly, there was also an issue with the British Tap water in the 1970's and 1980's in some area's which caused elevated levels of this tragic issue.

6 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Good to hear the baby arrived earlier than expected.

Too bad Thailand doesn't have a Medivac system using helicopters.

Yes, I realize Thailand is not a rich country to afford such thing luxuries but if a CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) initiatives could be put in place (think PTT, CP, SCB, THAI BEVERAGES etc.), more lives could be saved....

The Thai Minister of Health recently inaugurated an Air Ambulance (helicopter) emergency scheme......

7 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Yes, I realize Thailand is not a rich country to afford such thing luxuries but if a CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) initiatives could be put in place (think PTT, CP, SCB, THAI BEVERAGES etc.), more lives could be saved....

But we heard recently they DO have a helicopter (sorry Peter...,didn't see your post)

Edited by soalbundy

8 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

Helicopter is available but according to the doctor, it is not safe for the boy to be transferred by air. FYI, the boy is from Lao PDR, he is under the Safe Life across the Mekong project initiated by the Thailand Red Cross. More than 90 kids with heart disease from Lao PDR are registered under the project.