Court clears Pita of iTV shares charges

snoop1130

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

What a wonderful country Thailand is. You get the government a few powerful people say you will, like Russia or China or North Korea.

There is an argument that Thais - like all other peoples everywhere - get the government they deserve.

Governments - even authoritarian ones - are enabled by and are the products of the culture of the people as a whole.

• Agree 1

Even if the MFP had formed a government, it would have been many years away from removing all the corrupt dinosaurs/pigs at the trough. Now with the new government, its more than likely going to take 20 years or more to fix the damage that the Junta/Thaksin clan created, and will continue doing for the foreseeable future. I consider Thailand to be a lost cause at this point, I see no future prospects here for anyone but the Elite, just a bad situation getting even worse. My wife still has hope, I don't share her enthusiasm though, hoping she sees the light so we can finally leave this Hellhole for good. 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, sirineou said:

Does that mean that he is PM now and the other guy must go?:tongue:

It should, but This is Thailand and the "unelected by the electorate" government still has the soldiers influence about it.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Pita lives to fight another day. Next week, the court decides the future of the Move Forward Party
by Joseph O' Connor

image.jpeg

Former Move Forward Party leader and public favourite, Pita Limjaroenrat at the Constitutional Court precincts on Wednesday. He received an enthusiastic welcome from supporters. Inside, the judges ruled eight to one in his favour. They dismissed a charge of breaching Section 98(3) of the Constitution in relation to his technical shareholding in a defunct TV station called iTV.

Pita wins the case amid uncertainty. The Move Forward Party’s fate still hangs in the balance. In a landmark ruling, the Constitutional Court cleared Pita Limjaroenrat on a media shareholding complaint. While supporters celebrated, the Move Forward Party is preparing for a critical decision on January 31, which will determine its survival.

Former Move Forward Party leader Pita Limjaroenrat survived his day of destiny appointment to hear the verdict in the media shareholding case against him on Wednesday. The case last year saw him suspended from parliament. Simultaneously, it also effectively scuppered the Move Forward Party’s efforts to form a government. However, despite the carnival atmosphere at the Constitutional Court on Wednesday, celebrations were muted. Later, a case judgment scheduled for January 31st could decide the future survival of the party. 

In a highly significant ruling today, the Constitutional Court declared that Pita Limjaroenrat, former leader of the Move Forward Party, did not violate the 2017

Full story: Thai Examiner.com 2024-01-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

The soldiers or Generals must be  kept out of having anything to say involving the Move Forward party.

They are not politicians and should be nowhere near any political parties.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Court ruled that iTV is no longer a media business; therefore, Pita’s holding of shares in iTV did not violate the Constitution and the electoral law.

Funny how hard that was to figure out at the time.  I seem to remember this argument being made loud and clear in real time.  Not sure why it took this long for them to rule that a fact is a fact.  Or maybe I am sure... 

5 hours ago, geisha said:

I think he’ll be back with a vengeance! As long as he puts aside certain subjects, I think he might just succeed, but it’s up to the Thais if they want a free country or not ! 

"but it’s up to the Thais if they want a free country or not !"  Really! What about the soldiers, guns and tanks? It is all in the history and it is not going to stay there. There is an ex unelected PM still roaming about free as a bird despite using an illegal coup to steal the country. Just keep in mind what I said about the soldiers, guns and tanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, jippytum said:

He should be prime minister.  He was conned by the  Thaksin supporters who made a pact with thr devil to bring thaksin back and avoid jail. Pita and justice will win eventually. You can't fool all the people all the time. 

The Thai people have been fooled for years, they don't have an average IQ of 80+ for nothing.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

It should, but This is Thailand and the "unelected by the electorate" government still has the soldiers influence about it.

Unfortunately it's true. 

I don't even know why they bother the cost and effort to have elections.

• Love It 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

S__306774025.jpg

The Constitutional Court has cleared the former leader of the Move Forward party, Pita Limjaroenrat, of the charge that he contested in last year’s election while holding shares in a media company.

The Court ruled that iTV is no longer a media business; therefore, Pita’s holding of shares in iTV did not violate the Constitution and the electoral law.

This means that Pita will retain his MP seat and the ruling paves the way for him to make a political comeback after he was suspended from performing his legislative duties since last July.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-01-24

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

The plaintiffs knew from the beginning that the allegations against Pita had nothing to do with it, but in Thailand that is enough to get rid of politically unpleasant opponents. This is how the political establishment repeatedly cheats the electorate.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

There is an argument that Thais - like all other peoples everywhere - get the government they deserve.

Governments - even authoritarian ones - are enabled by and are the products of the culture of the people as a whole.

I repeat, soldiers. guns and tanks.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Seems to me he's a different, more intelligent, sincere young man well aware of the modern factors of building and maintaining civil society and somewhat different to thaksin. 

I fully understand what you are saying, but if you are from the UK "and  probably any other country" also, try and think of any bidding PM's back then. I remember particularly the first UK PM from my boyhood years, a certain Harold Wilson, who everyone was saying the same as people now living in Thailand are saying about Pita, the same things that was said about that liar and hypocrite Wilson. People around my age will remember how he led the UK to bankruptcy in 1976 which caused him to resign and then had to be bailed out by the International Monetary Fund.

16 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I fully understand what you are saying, but if you are from the UK "and  probably any other country" also, try and think of any bidding PM's back then. I remember particularly the first UK PM from my boyhood years, a certain Harold Wilson, who everyone was saying the same as people now living in Thailand are saying about Pita, the same things that was said about that liar and hypocrite Wilson. People around my age will remember how he led the UK to bankruptcy in 1976 which caused him to resign and then had to be bailed out by the International Monetary Fund.

I'm not from the UK (or the US).

My comment is from my 35+ years of living / working / marrying / raising a Thai family / 27 years holding PR and following Thai politics closely all that time. 

I believe Khun Pita is different and has the capability to change Thailand in many ways, for the better. 

Millions of Thais believe this also. 

I don't compare him with past history in other countries.

52 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I'm not from the UK (or the US).

My comment is from my 35+ years of living / working / marrying / raising a Thai family / 27 years holding PR and following Thai politics closely all that time. 

I believe Khun Pita is different and has the capability to change Thailand in many ways, for the better. 

Millions of Thais believe this also. 

I don't compare him with past history in other countries.

Yes I understand, and if I could vote I would also vote for Pita, it's just that of every top UK politician, I can only think of one who was not an obvious liar and hypocrite and that was Enoch Powell.

19 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

Never going to happen, the military, Thaksin, and he who cannot be named have made it impossible.

The nameless one needs his corrupt cronies to watch his back, never have democracy while he's untouchable !!.

19 hours ago, retarius said:

Honestly we need to grow up a bit. My guess is that Pita is like every other politician...a self serving liar....yes he's new and fresh like Thaksin was in 2000 or whenever. Young people don't know that power corrupts everybody and as soon as Pita gets power he will do a 180. It is the law of people and politics.

It's the guess and law of retarDius 

20 hours ago, jvs said:

Does this mean people will hit the street and demand a new election?

I never imagined the courts to rule this way,there is still some hope for Thailand.

I really have no idea what is going to happen next,

Then the tanks roll in and the generals run the country further into the ground.

22 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

violating Article 49 of the Constitution by seeking to overthrow the monarchy

Just curious. What do you call it when a military coup abolishes the Constitution - amnesty?

On 1/24/2024 at 5:02 PM, snoop1130 said:

Ohhh , solyyyy!  better luck next time, 

For a consolation prize here is a can of boiled ham. 

Next time , if you run and win again perhaps we can come to an understanding (wink wink) so that such misunderstandings do not happen again. :laugh:

Thailand looks like it has a ruling elite who use a puppet judiciary to keep anyone they don't like out of politics. Occasionally they get it wrong - it will be interesting to see what they do nest to keep Pits out of they way.