Thai gold prices plummet, buyers encouraged to act

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, novacova said:

Good time to buy gold, given that things are starting to flair up in the world. If things appear to change in the US elections in November, then expect the price to drop.

Gold is unpredictable and you can't expect it to do anything, but bear in mind that the 14-day ADR (Average Daily Range) of gold is around $25 per day.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

This substantial dip in prices reflects the volatility of the gold market,

One persons ' substantial ' is anothers minor blip on a graph.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Many Thais are fixated on gold. Nothing like trying to spook the market into buying. They weren't telling people to "act" in the last few weeks when it was as low as 33,500 for gold bar (jewellry and ornaments lower).

Glad I bought last year when it was much lower. I'll not be buying more (nor selling) as gold for me is a safety net in case there's a collapse in the banks.

The main driving forces for gold are interest rates and of course feelings of impending doom in the marketplace. The baht is weakening against the USD, countering a small drop in the price of gold.

The Spot price of Gold plummeted by $55 on Jan 15 & 16 but it has since recovered nearly $20. They were a bit late with the news.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

The main driving forces for gold are interest rates and of course feelings of impending doom in the marketplace. The baht is weakening against the USD, countering a small drop in the price of gold.

The Spot price of Gold plummeted by $55 on Jan 15 & 16 but it has since recovered nearly $20. They were a bit late with the news.

I bought branded cast bars from HuaSengHeng (one of the biggest, if not the biggest dealer) with many outlets in Yaowarat - and likely elsewhere. The HuaSengHeng Gold website has immediate spot prices and also a XAU/USD chart. It often seems that the Thai gold price in Thai Baht is out of kilter with rises and falls in the spot gold price in US Dollars. I've often thought there might be an arbitrage opportunity there but I've got other things to do.

38 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Oh my goodness! Gold plummeted by 150 baht per baht weight of gold! The world is ending!

Dude  you would have lost almost half of a percent on your investment!!

You be destitute. :laugh:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I bought branded cast bars from HuaSengHeng (one of the biggest, if not the biggest dealer) with many outlets in Yaowarat - and likely elsewhere. The HuaSengHeng Gold website has immediate spot prices and also a XAU/USD chart. It often seems that the Thai gold price in Thai Baht is out of kilter with rises and falls in the spot gold price in US Dollars. I've often thought there might be an arbitrage opportunity there but I've got other things to do.

Considering the $25 ADR (14-day) of gold, which is about an 850 baht range, and roughly 420 baht per half ounce (15.16g of 96.5% purity), they cannot constantly adjust the price too frequently.

Here is my go-to site for the price in Thailand: https://www.gcap.co.th/gcapgold/home.php

I always check there before buying or selling.

I bookmarked your site too - good to have a few.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, novacova said:

Good time to buy gold, given that things are starting to flair up in the world. If things appear to change in the US elections in November, then expect the price to drop.

Yes, if trump is jailed and Biden re-elected, the good times (+3.3% GDP just announced) will continue and gold price will drop.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Yes, if trump is jailed and Biden re-elected, the good times (+3.3% GDP just announced) will continue and gold price will drop.

Are weapon sales included in GDP? Asking for a friend

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Are weapon sales included in GDP? Asking for a friend

Are you feeling fearful?

I understand those maga types are particularly violent people. Look what they did to police at the Capitol. Too bad only one of them got a double tap. I wonder where Kyle Rittenhouse was? I thought he was big on protecting cops. He could have gone to DC and gunned down those maga terrorists.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Are you feeling fearful?

I understand those maga types are particularly violent people. Look what they did to police at the Capitol. Too bad only one of them got a double tap. I wonder where Kyle Rittenhouse was? I thought he was big on protecting cops. He could have gone to DC and gunned down those maga terrorists.

Leave them alone, stop picking on them, I hate bullies 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Many Thais are fixated on gold. Nothing like trying to spook the market into buying. They weren't telling people to "act" in the last few weeks when it was as low as 33,500 for gold bar (jewellry and ornaments lower).

Glad I bought last year when it was much lower. I'll not be buying more (nor selling) as gold for me is a safety net in case there's a collapse in the banks.

Correct... gold shops trying to coerce people into buying before it drops more.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Thai Gold Traders Association (GTA) disclosed a significant drop in gold prices, prompting those interested in purchasing to act quickly. The price of gold ornaments tumbled by 150 baht, comparing the closing price on January 24, which stood at 34,650 baht per baht-weight.

Is a 0.3% drop all that significant?

16 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Yep, a long term investment and maybe hedge against a financial crash.

"Gold is money, everything else is credit" -JP Morgan.

• Thanks 1