Professionalism Of Thai Cockpit Crew Questioned After Bad Landing

Jai Dee

Professionalism of THAI cockpit crew questioned after bad landing

The professionalism of Thai Airways International's cockpit crew has been questioned by aviation experts after one of its pilots supposedly failed to report a recent incident in which a THAI aircraft skidded off the runway at Suvarnabhumi airport. The 260-seat Airbus A300-600 was landing after an afternoon flight from Phuket about two weeks ago in 24-knot winds and rain when it skidded off the left side of the runway, according to industry sources.

Most passengers on board the THAI jetliner were unaware of the incident which caused only minor damage to the aircraft and the runway, with no injuries or fatalities. The aircraft's left landing gear sank into the soft soil on the edge of the runway before the cockpit crew managed to pull the wheels back up on the tarmac and proceeded to park the plane safely, the sources said.

More from the Bangkok Post here.

//Edit: Updated link (Bangkok Post links go dead very fast, it seems)

Edited by Maestro
Update link.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only the higher authorities of the national carrier and the Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT), which operates Suvarnabhumi airport, were informed of the incident, while the new pilot of the aircraft refrained from reporting the incident which sources said he was legally and ethically obliged to do.

Neither were the aviation regulatory bodies, such as the Department of Civil Aviation, officially notified of the matter.

Aviation experts believe that the pilot might have considered it a minor incident or he did not want to tarnish the airline's reputation.

''But it is strange for a pilot not to report such an incident. Even the smallest thing, such as spotting a large bird at the airport, is normally reported to the aviation authorities,'' a veteran pilot said.

cite

The Post Publishing Public Co

even if a minor incident ,

the failure to report is ALARMING .

Edited by Mid

meanwhile , those in power to whom we bow as ever knowledgeable ............

While several parties have confirmed to the Bangkok Post that the incident did take place, THAI executive vice president Narongsak Sangapong yesterday flatly denied that it ever took place.

''There was no such incident. I have not received any reports about it,'' he stated, insisting the story was based on ''imagination and hearsay''.

''The pilot would have certainly reported to the parties concerned if the incident had really occurred,'' ACM Narongsak said

cite

Edited by Mid

meanwhile , those in power to whom we bow as ever knowledgeable ............
While several parties have confirmed to the Bangkok Post that the incident did take place, THAI executive vice president Narongsak Sangapong yesterday flatly denied that it ever took place.

''There was no such incident. I have not received any reports about it,'' he stated, insisting the story was based on ''imagination and hearsay''.

''The pilot would have certainly reported to the parties concerned if the incident had really occurred,'' ACM Narongsak said

cite

It is both alarming and disappointing that the executive VP of Thai Air would coverup such an incident. I could understand it if he were to say that the reported incident was being investigated. Making a flat denial smells of an airline which does not want to admit responsibility for an incident which may be just the tip of the iceberg. It shows a defensive attitude which reflects a reluctance to accept accountability for the incident and the further well being of passengers. I will think twice before booking with Thai Air in the future based purely on the administrative response of Thai Air.

Give the pilot some credit. At least he didn't run away from the scene of the incident.

unfortunately that's what he did ............................

Not really. It was reported and a lot of people knew about it. That's why they spent days repairing the plane and the runway was closed shortly for repairs.

The pilot's not the person coordinating the failed coverup.

''But it is strange for a pilot not to report such an incident. Even the smallest thing, such as spotting a large bird at the airport, is normally reported to the aviation authorities,'' a veteran pilot said.

I do agree that the buck does not stop with him .

There is no buck to stop. It should have started with him. He should have filled out a simple form but he did not. That’s why a vice president of THAI can say that he knows nothing about it, that it did not happen. The pilot is definitely to blame.

--

Maestro

There is no buck to stop. It should have started with him. He should have filled out a simple form but he did not. That’s why a vice president of THAI can say that he knows nothing about it, that it did not happen. The pilot is definitely to blame.

--

Maestro

He says -

"THAI executive vice president Narongsak Sangapong yesterday flatly denied that it ever took place.

''There was no such incident. I have not received any reports about it,'' he stated, insisting the story was based on ''imagination and hearsay''. "

He should be fired in my opinion.

the exec should be aware of unusual maintenance

Maintenance – and awareness of it – is one thing, a pilot’s incident report is another. There is not excuse for the pilot’s failure to make that report.

--

Maestro

the exec should be aware of unusual maintenance

Maintenance – and awareness of it – is one thing, a pilot’s incident report is another. There is not excuse for the pilot’s failure to make that report.

--

Maestro

so back to square one ,

I agree but the buck doesn't stop with him ,

aka , it is not a valid excuse that the VP is offering up .

Those who are furious for the report, did you read the news? All are based on industry sources, no real source. :o

Any insight? or the name of the source? :D

Airport officials say they have the whole incident on a videotape and have launched an investigation with a view to claiming compensation from the national carrier.

cite

Those who are furious for the report, did you read the news? All are based on industry sources, no real source. :o

Any insight? or the name of the source? :D

Airport officials say they have the whole incident on a videotape and have launched an investigation with a view to claiming compensation from the national carrier.

cite

Its a serious communcation breakdown, not unexpected but neverthless unacceptable.

Its on video, the aircraft has been repaired, the runway has been repaired but thai airways and the pilot say its an hallucination, thats not the way to fly aircraft

I have many friends who work for Thai Airways and when I talked to one of them today her reply was "What's the big fuss? It happenes every day. Why should every little incident be reported?"

This is Thailand and if people can get away without doing a lot of paperwork or investigation they will do so even if it is regarding public safety.

Media Hype. The incident was totally dealt with by the authorities / companies involved.

As far as I am aware the "Failed to report" nonsense was because an ASR (Air Safety Report) was not filed on the day of the incident by the crew to TG safety department. However these forms can be submitted days/hours after such an incident. It is usually common practice to file it after the flight but not a legal obligation if able.

Now there is another report MOR (Mandatory Occurrence Report) that is filed to the civil aviation authority by the company (TG) on behalf of the pilot based on the ASR filed (Little tick box on the ASR form. I would need to check whether this minor incident requires an MOR or not but I would hazard a guess at yes due to structural damage.

This particular TG incident has not been covered up AT ALL and it is just a paperwork excercise screw up nothing more nothing less.

I have a funny feeling the DCA investigators climbing over the aircraft could not find the MOR report to go along with the incident for investigation and requested it from TG. No big deal

Edited by dekka007

I think it probably did :D

Perhaps not to the extent the media are reporting. Must be a A300-600 thing at BKK because about 1 year ago another A300-600 went off the the same runway due to uneven engine spool up. Scary airplane :o

Edited by dekka007

Give the pilot some credit. At least he didn't run away from the scene of the incident.

The only bl**dy reason he didnt is they lock the cockpit doors now and he couldn't push the windows out. If he had any chance, this unit would have been drinking Mekong at a road side bar in Nakorn Nowhere before the plane reached the terminal.

This is serious sh*t. I think I'm going back to fly with airasia or 1-2-Go.

Edited by jayjayjayjay

Just totally unbelievable, a plane that takes DAYS to repair is a plane that has been where it should not have been. In any reasonably responsible country this would have been public news on the first day..........

Edited by jayjayjayjay

...As far as I am aware the "Failed to report" nonsense was because an ASR (Air Safety Report) was not filed on the day of the incident by the crew to TG safety department. However these forms can be submitted days/hours after such an incident...

This being the case and if the pilot did file the ASR, I withdraw my criticism of the pilot. Probably another case of sloppy reporting by the Nation. Actually, by now I should have learnt not to get exited over anything that’s printed in a newspaper in Thailand :o

--

Maestro