Giant Python Blocks Road, Invades Naval Officer's House

webfact

They do get big - often met one on the road at end of runway at Takhli AFB in 69'.  Made sure to drive slow through swamp area and stop and allow to pass as really felt he could crush car if hit.   They are extremely strong if get any leverage.

A very long time ago, when I was working in West Africa, we came home one night to find the street blocked by a giant python. The road could take two cars side-by-side, then there was a grass verge on both sides and a storm ditch. The python was so big that all you could see was its body on the road, the head was already down in the ditch on one side while the tail still had to emerge from the ditch on the other. That was one big snake.

26 minutes ago, Guderian said:

A very long time ago, when I was working in West Africa, we came home one night to find the street blocked by a giant python. The road could take two cars side-by-side, then there was a grass verge on both sides and a storm ditch. The python was so big that all you could see was its body on the road, the head was already down in the ditch on one side while the tail still had to emerge from the ditch on the other. That was one big snake.

Snakes of any size are the things that I hate the most, followed closely by flies and flying ants.

Beautiful coloured patterns in that grass photo.. Looks closer to 5 metres. Pythons are about the only kind of snake I admire but give that one half a chance and it could hug you to death. :unsure:

Like spiders, I consider snakes harmless as long as you see them first. 

I only ever saw one python (a carpet snake) in 60 years living in Australia, but here in Thailand the number is more like 6.

Several were in Phuket and 3 here in Isaan - 2 of which were raiding the wife's chooks. The Burmese one was relocated, the reticulated python fell fowl (!) of the local farmers and their antiquated long guns.  The locals are scared of them and kill them whenever possible, despite legal protections.

On 1/29/2024 at 2:41 PM, billd766 said:

Snakes of any size are the things that I hate the most, followed closely by flies and flying ants.

Those bloody great big centipedes really give me theheebie-jeebies.

• Like 1