Using Latex Glue as wallpaper paste.

jimrod

12 hours ago, Denim said:

I get bored looking at vast expanses of painted wall so as a contrast I sometimes put up a wall papered section , panelled in to give contrast and be a backdrop for pictures etc. Our first small 2 up and 2 down in Bangkok. 15 years ago but the buyers of that house say the paper is still sticking.

bike 005.jpg

bike 001.jpg

😨😱😳.....

• Thumbs Up 1

What they call latex adhesive here in Thailand is NOT latex but PVA (polyvinylacetate) which I use regularly for interior woodwork.
True latex adhesive is expensive but excellent for gluing fabrics including carpets, and patching clothing, either relatively short-term (resists some laundering) or prior to stitching.
If you want true latex glue, search for 'Copydex'.  And if keeping some of it long-term store it in the fridge.

A quick update. The 'putting the adhesive on the wall' was a total curve ball. As for the latex, I should have gone with my gut on this one. You basically dilute it until you are happy with the consistency. My advice here would be, to keep diluting until it's dripping off the brush.  Easy peazy, lemon squeezy as they say.
The advice on painting, which wasn't asked for,  fell completely on deaf ears. If it floats your boat, I'm happy for you.
The advice on the process was welcomed albeit not required. Probably using the word guidance had people thinking I was a novice.
Albeit more as a hobby, I've been wallpapering for more years than I care to remember.

On 1/30/2024 at 8:05 AM, jimrod said:

I've already bought the latex, but this 'ready to use' one might have the latex banished to the cupboard. Thanks.

and  now my revelation........40 years as a  decorator in the UK, you  will need a  plumbob anything heavy with some string will do or laser  level, a  seam  roller, paste  brush ( I never  used a  roller) walls need a  thinned  down coat of paste OR you can get a small garden sprayer and  some pva adhesive not waterproof  type (lanko 751?} with water and spray them in minutes, turn off the aircon it will dry slower, paste  table  dont do it on the floor, let the paper  soak for the time  said  on the paper or give it 3-4  minutes folded  over on itself, brush paste to the edges in a fan shape not straight, dont get paste on the paper face it  will leave shiny marks, get some stanley knives to cut it not  scissors after 4-5  cuts the blade  will be blunt, turn it round or  chuck it, you can overlap  joints and cut through  both sheets to give a  perfect joint but to do this you need a brand  new unused  blade anything else  will be blunt......i probably papered more rooms than any member here with every type of  paper  known to man including Lincrusta which had to be soaked for 30  minutes before  hanging. Ive used  paper costing hundreds of  pounds a  roll to woodchip at 99p a  roll.

To remove any paper garden sprayer, washing up liquid and TIME , let it soak if needs  be for over an hour with multiple sprayngs, vinyls  need the top layer peeled off first those hole spike  things were useless imo and I had a  steamer too but rarely used it. Sometimes on woodchip which is a  sod to remove especially when years of vinyl emulsion on it, id leave the steamer in the room for an hour until it was  like a  sauna  to soften it. You couldnt see one end of the room for the steam. Take  your time.......I dont  miss it and would  not  have paper myself hahahahaha

Edited by Rampant Rabbit