Rock-solid plea: Don’t send Bi-2 back to Russia, urges Human Rights Watch director

webfact

13 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

totally confusing reporting. yesterday, on the thai pbs report:

so? russian or israeli? if israeli why would they be deported to russia and why would thailand even get involved?

Dual nationality (or even triple, I think, for some).

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

why would thailand even get involved?

From OP:  

44 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Thai police arrested the band for allegedly performing a concert without the proper work authorisations.

Tell the band members they will be deported.

But ask them where they want to be sent, pending destination nations agree? Within Southeast Asia itself there might be places  agreeable for deportation such as Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia. Maybe they can get legal gigs to help sustain cost of living. Some members might be accepted to Israel.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

“The Thai authorities should immediately release the detained members of Bi-2 and allow them to go on their way,

Go on their way where????

• Like 2

Just now, zhounan said:

Any news about local sponsor or promoter?

I imagine the scene: "Do we need a permit to perform in Thailand?" "Mai pen rai! Just take your instruments!"

Indeed. They also, probably, got an agent/manager who's supposed to handle these things.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Lorry said:

The Russian consulate asked the thai authorities to get Bi-2 delivered to Russia so the Thais obliged

how nice and thoughtful of them.

i guess thais have to keep the tourism #'s up

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Sad 1

From what I've read only one of them entered Thailand using an Israeli passport (and will be/was deported to Israel). The rest used their Russian passports, so technically, Russia had some grounds to get involved. Another one also holds an Australian passport, and may be deported there. As to the Russians' intervention - that's obviously bogus and nothing to do with the supposed offense they committed vs. Thai law.

Some stupid idiots decided they didn't need to comply with the laws of the land Got caught and now some NGC thinks they should not be treated according to the law simply because the countries they have citizenships for are at war.

Surely if the last thing they wanted was to go home they should have thought about that before and kept their heads down and not worked illegally in a public space.

• Sad 2

33 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Some stupid idiots decided they didn't need to comply with the laws of the land Got caught and now some NGC thinks they should not be treated according to the law simply because the countries they have citizenships for are at war.

Surely if the last thing they wanted was to go home they should have thought about that before and kept their heads down and not worked illegally in a public space.

I don't think that's quite the issue. Deporting them etc. is not a problem. The Russian intervention, and it's implications are.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

^ But surely they would have known this before they were stupid.

I do not disagree that they were stupid.

No idea if they knew about the rules, or if it was something messed up by their agent, or the Thai promoter or what.

My guess is that they either thought it was taken care of, or did it before without consequences and assumed it was 'safe'.

Being stupid doesn't merit being sent to Russia, where they are likely to be treated badly.

• Agree 1