Free event aims to shed light on the new tax rules for foreign income brought into Thailand

3 minutes ago, BritScot said:

If your embassy is correct then every expat is going to get a massive tax bill and its very simple because minimum 400,000baht ~ 800,000baht has to be brought in to Thailand for a retierment visa every year. The Thai government is not your friend. They want every satang they can squeeze out of you. Only when thousands of expats leave will it become another misunderstanding. 

What it means is that if the tax scale on the amount is lower in your country than the one in Thailand, you will have to pay the difference.

And I still wonder how you gonna prove that you paid any tax.

Me for example haven't filed a tax return in my home country for the past 14 years, because I'm registered here, and had no official income in my country

Edited by BenStark
  • Thumbs Up 2

48 minutes ago, BenStark said:

And I still wonder how you gonna prove that you paid any tax.

Normally they issue some kind of receipt / statement but I would imagine every country will do it  differently.

In the UK it's called a P60.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

Below is what my Embassy sent me today.

If you live in Thailand for more than 180 days a year, you will be considered a Thai tax resident. In that case you must indicate all foreign income that you bring in to Thailand. If the taxes that have already been paid in Belgium are not sufficient according to Thai tax legislation, you may have to pay an extra tax in Thailand.

Interesting.

The new 'memo' became effective on Jan 1.

Is everyone expected to go out and get tax id numbers before March which is the end of the tax year here?

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

Normally they issue some kind of receipt / statement but I would imagine every country will do it  differently.

In the UK it's called a P60.

But as I said, I have no history of filing tax returns for the past 14 years, but the money is in accounts, and has moved from one account to another in those years.

So if I transfer money who's gonna provide me with such a document? I feel this whole thing may turn in to a can full of worms

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Interesting.

The new 'memo' became effective on Jan 1.

Is everyone expected to go out and get tax id numbers before March which is the end of the tax year here?

Taxes will be paid next year March

1 minute ago, BenStark said:

Taxes will be paid next year March

So there was no mention of filing a tax return this March?

I mean, if you go an get a tax number - they are going to expect you to use it aren't they?

And they are definitely used every March.....

Edited by ukrules
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, BritScot said:

If your embassy is correct then every expat is going to get a massive tax bill and its very simple because minimum 400,000baht ~ 800,000baht has to be brought in to Thailand for a retierment visa every year. The Thai government is not your friend. They want every satang they can squeeze out of you. Only when thousands of expats leave will it become another misunderstanding. 

The tax payable on 400k bht per year for an expat is hardly massive, about 1700 bht per month. Even less if they are officially retired, over 65 I believe, when the allowance before being taxed goes up substantially.

• Confused 1

But as I said, I have no history of filing tax returns for the past 14 years, but the money is in accounts, and has moved from one account to another in those years.

So if I transfer money who's gonna provide me with such a document? I feel this whole thing may turn in to a can full of worms

Thus the advce from some to make sure you have evidence of existing funds.  There was a recent clarification that all assets held at 31 Dec 23 will not be subject to any Income Tax if transferred here.  Only monies earned sicne the start of this year fall under the new regualtions.

PH

Edited by Phulublub
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, smedly said:

how can they shed light on something the revenue department haven't explained 

I think a lot of guys are going to find out they've been violating tax laws for many years, and they just didn't get caught.

And a lot of guys already know they've been breaking the tax laws for many years...  They'll be finding out if they can still keep doing it without getting caught.  (I worked with a bunch of them)

I'd take the drive from BKK to HH if I was in country that day...  Though I'm sure some BKK tax lawyers will do similar evenings.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

if you do not pay tax or have any UK income, what do you want to show, that you paid no tax and have no income?

Where in the world do you pay tax on your income in the year you earn it?

Tax returns for 2024 are everywhere filed in 2025

By March 2024 you can't even be in the country this year for 180 days yet

in the UK, its called PAYE if you only have pension income, that how you pay ( through a tax coding) any income tax due

Edited by steve187
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BenStark said:

Below is what my Embassy sent me today.

If you live in Thailand for more than 180 days a year, you will be considered a Thai tax resident. In that case you must indicate all foreign income that you bring in to Thailand. If the taxes that have already been paid in Belgium are not sufficient according to Thai tax legislation, you may have to pay an extra tax in Thailand.

If that is true, the tax department will refund the paid tax in Belgium if it is more than you had to pay in Thailand?? As double taxes in tyhe whole world are not done.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

More incorrect information.  The Thai tax year is aligned with the calandar year.  If you have to file a tax return, it has to be done by 31 March.  Those caught up in the new regualtuons will need to file a tax return by 31 mar 25 for the tax year 1 Jan to 31 Dec 24

PH

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, impulse said:

I think a lot of guys are going to find out they've been violating tax laws for many years, and they just didn't get caught.

Yes, no doubt.

The question is what happens next if people who weren't previously registered go along and get a tax id and they see you've been living here for the last 10 years with no TIN, maybe bought a house or apartment, etc ?

Maybe you sold your main house in the UK which would of course be taxed at a zero rate and then wired a load of the money into Thailand 5 years ago and bought a 10 to 15 million Baht apartment in a year when you were tax resident but didn't have an id.

Will they go looking? Because if they do I suspect they're going to find a lot.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Will they go looking? Because if they do I suspect they're going to find a lot.

I'm no longer a tax resident and just keep a token amount in my Thai bank account to keep it open, so I don't (yet) have a dog in the fight.   And I'm not associated at all with any Thai tax attorneys.

If I were one of those guys, I'd definitely get the advice of a tax expert before I started filing any documents with the Revenue Department.  I'd hope that they start on Jan 1 with a clean slate, but I'd sure hate to guess wrong.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'd take the drive from BKK to HH if I was in country that day...  Though I'm sure some BKK tax lawyers will do similar evenings.

Would you? I looked at the respective  corporatewebsites of the speakers at this event - deeply unimpressive and , though I could be wrong, likely to be the usual bottom feeders on bewildered foreigners.

I would suggest rely on the tried and tested Bangkok firms - Mazars, Price Waterhouse etc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Would you? I looked at the respective  corporatewebsites of the speakers at this event - deeply unimpressive and , though I could be wrong, likely to be the usual bottom feeders on bewildered foreigners.

I would suggest rely on the tried and tested Bangkok firms - Mazars, Price Waterhouse etc

One of my favorite clichés here is "Lack of curiosity isn't a virtue".   Hard to tell what caliber they'll be without speaking to them...   

If Mazars or PW were to sponsor a competing event in BKK, sure I'd choose BKK.  But I'm not sure either of them would be keen for my piddly business.

Hua Hin is almost in range just for a good meal.  Add a few hours at the beach, and it would be a nice getaway.  With a bonus of maybe learning something.