apostille and or notary service

Notaries are available in Thailand and their stamp should be accepted abroad.  I had a Thai notary stamp in a request for documents un the US and It i as acceptable. An apostille is a certification of a notary's credentials. Nothing more. As you know non Hague Convention countries like Thailand cannot issue an apostille on Amy Thai originating document.  Since you have UK doc you need a UK apostille.  The process is fairly simple the form is available online.  There are notaries in the UK that will also send your doc for apostille but it gets expensive when they do the legwork.  If a notary stamp will do you can find one here by asking at your local legal offices. If you must have an apostille you will need to submit that in the UK or have a friend or family member make the request there but you may need to courier documents around if you need to sign them personally.  An embassy or consulate cannot issue apostilles either.  It's not relevant to you but in case another researcher comes across this I signed a Power of Attorney here in Thailand for my attorney in Italy in front of a representative at the Italian embassy in Bangkok who first notarized my signature and then legalized it for use in court.  This legalization is offered in lieu of apostille service in non-Hauge countries to citizens of the Embassy nation, as I have said, not available in Thailand. I am not an Italian citizen but I made the case to the embassy that the POA was for my Italian attorney and the graciously bent the rules based in that criteria.

On 1/31/2024 at 8:47 AM, lopburi3 said:

Suspect UK Consulate might offer such a service.  US does.  But is the request only asking for your signature to be notarized or the document to be confirmed true?  If the latter expect it must be done by UK in UK.  Sorry but expect someone from UK may be able to provide better help.  If not perhaps call Embassy and see if they can answer (I know Embassy does not have high reputation but if they know they may be willing to provide answer.

This is unequivocally false.  No US Embassy or Consulate can issue an apostille as they are both not charged with that authority and do not have records confirming the credentials of the notary or Federal, State or County officials who's signature/credentials would be verified by the apostille at either a US Secretary of State or Federal Secretary of State level

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, LikeItHot said:

Notaries are available in Thailand and their stamp should be accepted abroad. ...

Yes they are. However, their notarization may not be accepted overseas. If the entity requesting the notarization is aware that Thailand is not a signatory to the international apostille convention, they may not accept it. I was advised as such from a Thai lawyer who was a legalised Thai Notary. He was happy to provide notarization but warned me that it may not be accepted. Fortunately, the UK bank requesting it did accept it.

Edited by NanLaew

13 hours ago, LikeItHot said:

This is unequivocally false.  No US Embassy or Consulate can issue an apostille as they are both not charged with that authority and do not have records confirming the credentials of the notary or Federal, State or County officials who's signature/credentials would be verified by the apostille at either a US Secretary of State or Federal Secretary of State level

Actually the topic title was "apostille and or notary service" and my reply was marked for notarization of his signature alone and not for apostille.

1 hour ago, Vampyteuthis said:

@all

Thanks again. The school in Mexico is fine with the e-apostille version so looking good. 

That is good, seems the school has shown some sense, given the situation, and you can complete everything by email.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Yes they are. However, their notarization may not be accepted overseas. If the entity requesting the notarization is aware that Thailand is not a signatory to the international apostille convention, they may not accept it. I was advised as such from a Thai lawyer who was a legalised Thai Notary. He was happy to provide notarization but warned me that it may not be accepted. Fortunately, the UK bank requesting it did accept it.

Notarized and apostilled docs are two different things.  You are conflating them.

• Agree 1