apostille and or notary service

Hi there, 

I am a UK teacher at an international school in BKK. I have been offered a job in Mexico City starting July. They have asked that my educational qualifications be "apostille-ised" (similar to notarised as far as I can see) and sent via recorded courier to Mexico. The documents are all issued by UK institutions and I possess the original documents in Thailand. 

My understanding is hazy, at best. I have read that Thai documents cannot be Apostille-ised due to not being a signatory of a Hauge convention. Is this true for UK issued documents as well? If not I can probably find a service easily enough. If it is true for UK (i.e. non Thai docs.) then any suggestions for a work around?

Thanks is advance

V

• Confused 1

Suspect UK Consulate might offer such a service.  US does.  But is the request only asking for your signature to be notarized or the document to be confirmed true?  If the latter expect it must be done by UK in UK.  Sorry but expect someone from UK may be able to provide better help.  If not perhaps call Embassy and see if they can answer (I know Embassy does not have high reputation but if they know they may be willing to provide answer.

Looking at this link a UK document has to be done in Uk.

https://www.reuterssolicitors.com/what-is-an-apostille-and-when-is-it-needed/

Also it does seem to be on the list of services offered by UK embassy, but would be worth contacting them to confirm.

Taken from embassy link below.

“Certified copies of UK birth, death, marriage or degree/educational certificates Thai authorities require documents issued outside of Thailand to be authenticated. The only UK authority permitted to provide this service is the Legalisation Office of the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office.

Before arriving in Thailand you are advised to get your UK certificates legalised before you travel. If you are already in Thailand you will need to follow the 3-step legalisation process as described in Legalising a signature or seal.”

“Legalising a signature or seal

Legalisation is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on an official public document is genuine. UK public documents such as birth, death, marriage and divorce certificates can be legalised by the UK government in the UK. This is also known as an apostille.”

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand

Could you send it to someone in the UK, to be completed and forward for you to Mexico?

Edited by Georgealbert

21 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Your embassy can do the same, you do not depend on the Thai government or lawyers for that.

Think @Foxx got ir right, it is not a service provided by UK embassy.

No Thai lawyer or government can do it, as Thailand is not part of the Hague convention.

Edited by Georgealbert

5 minutes ago, Vampyteuthis said:

Thanks for your comments and advice. Think this is going to be a major pain the arse. If I am posting them to the UK, why not send the originals directly to the new job in Mexico? Seems like the same risk

Wish you luck, it does seem a bit of a pain in the a##.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Wish you luck, it does seem a bit of a pain in the a##.

As have said do not have knowledge of UK systems to verify documents but how is the new school to know those original papers are real and not made in the local copy shop?  For USA there would be 2 step process I believe - State of school location certification of copy and then Department of State registration making it a legal document internationally.  Easy but takes time.  But hope you are right an only a notarization of your signature on an attached paper attesting to it being real is the requirement.  For that I would hope your Consulate or designated service could do for you.

55 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

As have said do not have knowledge of UK systems to verify documents but how is the new school to know those original papers are real and not made in the local copy shop?  For USA there would be 2 step process I believe - State of school location certification of copy and then Department of State registration making it a legal document internationally.  Easy but takes time.  But hope you are right an only a notarization of your signature on an attached paper attesting to it being real is the requirement.  For that I would hope your Consulate or designated service could do for you.

Sorry, but where in any of my posts have I said it is just a notarisation of a signature.

I posted above the links to the embassy website, which states it can not be done by the consulate and needs to be done in the UK.

What happens in the USA has no relevance to this thread, as he states he is from the UK.

Before replying, please read what I said and open the link, then you will see the facts and limits of getting this sorted.

It is not a service offered by the UK embassy and a Thai agency can not do it, as not part of the Hague Convention.

45 minutes ago, norbra said:

This may , or not be helpful 500thbScreenshot_20240131_113558.thumb.jpg.51267e9b20bc075c1f93e908a8e8db8b.jpg

That is not what the OP is talking about, and a Thai Company can not do it.

I suggest you read the thread, and google Hague Convection and what is an apostille certificate.

29 minutes ago, ChicagoExpat said:

Usually it's the Central Authority of any country that does it, not embassies.  If you Google "Hague Convention on Apostilles UK" it brings up a ton of companies that will do it for you.

Here is official UK info:  https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

Very good link.

Says there are 2 types of apostille available, so OP needs to confirm if electronic type is acceptable to the school in Mexico. That would solve his issues if he can email.

“They can either be:

paper-based - you’ll need to send your documents by post (or submit them in person, if you’re a registered business)

electronic - known as an ‘e-Apostille’, you’ll need to upload your documents as PDF files that have been electronically signed by a UK notary or solicitor”

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

Sorry, but where in any of my posts have I said it is just a notarisation of a signature.

I posted above the links to the embassy website, which states it can not be done by the consulate and needs to be done in the UK.

What happens in the USA has no relevance to this thread, as he states he is from the UK.

Before replying, please read what I said and open the link, then you will see the facts and limits of getting this sorted.

It is not a service offered by the UK embassy and a Thai agency can not do it, as not part of the Hague Convention.

Actually had intended to click on OP post above yours (which said same thing about it being a PIA).  Was not saying you were wrong about anything but OP said he thought it was just a notarization in OP.

22 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Actually had intended to click on OP post above yours (which said same thing about it being a PIA).  Was not saying you were wrong about anything but OP said he thought it was just a notarization in OP.

Please accept my apologies, thought you were questioning my links, which were from UK embassy government site.

Yes agree apostille is not the same as going to the local Thai translation shop and just getting a certified copy stamp.

I have been through the apostille process with a document.

As the document was UK issued it has to be done by the Legalisation Office of the FC&DO.

It is a pain and the risk of loss of documents in transit is a concern but it is what you have to do.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Vampyteuthis said:

Hi there, 

I am a UK teacher at an international school in BKK. I have been offered a job in Mexico City starting July. They have asked that my educational qualifications be "apostille-ised" (similar to notarised as far as I can see) and sent via recorded courier to Mexico. The documents are all issued by UK institutions and I possess the original documents in Thailand. 

My understanding is hazy, at best. I have read that Thai documents cannot be Apostille-ised due to not being a signatory of a Hauge convention. Is this true for UK issued documents as well? If not I can probably find a service easily enough. If it is true for UK (i.e. non Thai docs.) then any suggestions for a work around?

Thanks is advance

V

For a qualified answer it would be advised to contact your embassy. 🙏

• Confused 1

42 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

For a qualified answer it would be advised to contact your embassy. 🙏

All the UK Embassy will do is refer you to the gov.uk website.  All the answers are there, although the OP has received good advice here, which is what the Forum is for.

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised/apply-for-legalisation

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

All the UK Embassy will do is refer you to the gov.uk website.  All the answers are there, although the OP has received good advice here, which is what the Forum is for.

https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised/apply-for-legalisation

Wether it's so good advice? We don't know actually.

(you can contact your embassy by mail or phone, not only by google)

• Confused 1

Just now, newbee2022 said:

Wether it's so good advice? We don't know actually.

(you can contact your embassy by mail or phone, not only by google)

On the contrary, many of us have had to do exactly what the OP is asking. This is how Forums work. All the Embassy will do (if they respond at all) is refer him to the website I've already listed.

• Agree 1

I needed some documents apostiled in the Philippines. I was able to get it done online in the United States. The documents were emailed to the US department of state and sent back signed. 

Perhaps there is a similar way in the UK. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

On the contrary, many of us have had to do exactly what the OP is asking. This is how Forums work. All the Embassy will do (if they respond at all) is refer him to the website I've already listed.

Fully agree with you, the links to what the embassy will do, have been provided, some including yourself have spoke of their own experiences, and still some posters can not accept facts! Dunning Kruger effect is strong with some on this forum. 55555

9 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

I needed some documents apostiled in the Philippines. I was able to get it done online in the United States. The documents were emailed to the US department of state and sent back signed. 

Perhaps there is a similar way in the UK. 

You raise a good point.

@ChicagoExpat link above shows that an e-Apostille is possible in the UK.

On 1/31/2024 at 8:39 AM, Vampyteuthis said:

Hi there, 

Thanks is advance

V

The convention is called "Den Haag" and refers to the Dutch city with the same name. Best is to write your embassy an email on where to get a notary public serving an "apostille of Den Haag". Worst case scenario you will have to process the documents through the UK (which will cost you an arm and a leg) - OR - you go back to the enquiring office in Mexico. Have you checked with the Mexican embassy on the issue? 

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I prefer to get legal information. In this case it's the embassy. But you might see it different. Doesn't work for me.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

I prefer to get legal information. In this case it's the embassy. But you might see it different. Doesn't work for me.

Actually this is about a school in Mexico and what they require. 

21 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Here is the link to the UK embassy Bangkok, it shows this,

“Certified copies of UK birth, death, marriage or degree/educational certificates

Thai authorities require documents issued outside of Thailand to be authenticated. The only UK authority permitted to provide this service is the Legalisation Office of the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office.

Legalising a signature or seal

Legalisation is the official confirmation that a signature, seal or stamp on an official public document is genuine. UK public documents such as birth, death, marriage and divorce certificates can be legalised by the UK government in the UK. This is also known as an apostille.”

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/notarial-and-documentary-services-guide-for-thailand#certified-copies-of-UK-birth

@brewsterbudgen is correct, this is the correct information, from the UK embassy, hence the UK government. (Note the .gov.uk)

You obviously have little or no dealings with the UK embassy.

• Like 1