What's the best expat insurance for expats in Thailand?

I don't think their is a best policy for ex-pats. Individual ex-pats will have different needs and different financial positions. Some, like myself, do not need insurance because we can self-insure. Insurance companies are in business to make a profit. The best thing about them is their accepting premiums from you...their service is great there. The worst thing about them usually is paying out in full when you have a claim. 

None of the insurance companies here offer what I'm looking for, which is a policy for older folk who have pre-existing conditions at a reasonable price. I don't mind a large deductible, but I don't want a large deductible and small per diem allowances for in-hospital stays, which is what all policies I reviewed offered. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, retarius said:

Some, like myself, do not need insurance because we can self-insure.

7 minutes ago, retarius said:

None of the insurance companies here offer what I'm looking for,

Rather contradictory statements.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Rather contradictory statements.

No, simply a question of preparedness and timing. When compulsory insurance was announced for people on long stay visas several years back, there was a lot of confusion about who it would apply to. I thought it might apply to me, so I checked out the cost of insurance. I was horrified at the prices and poor coverage (I have a lot of pre-existing conditions and lots of expensive meds). It turned out in the end that compulsory insurance did not apply to non O visa holders who sought annual extensions, only to non O-A visa holders. 

To be clear I self insure, I use private hospitals and shell out whatever they ask for in payment. I buy medicines online to try to save a bit of money as private hospitals often charge a fortune for drugs that can be obtained elsewhere at significant discounts. Understand?

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

I think some are under the assumption that private medical insurance will cover the cost of care and/or medication for pre-existing conditions.  Why on earth should it?!  That would not be a logical business model for the insurance companies.  They provide insurance for new illnesses or for accidents that are not caused by the pre-existing conditions.  Therefore, if you have the misfortune to have some pre-existing conditions, then you may find that the insurance company will cover very little in your case. (Think of high blood pressure, which can be the precursor for many, many diseases and medical conditions).

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, retarius said:

None of the insurance companies here offer what I'm looking for, which is a policy for older folk who have pre-existing conditions at a reasonable price

Insurance companies would be crazy to cover conditions you will claim on at the price most are willing to pay

22 hours ago, retarius said:

No, simply a question of preparedness and timing. When compulsory insurance was announced for people on long stay visas several years back, there was a lot of confusion about who it would apply to. I thought it might apply to me, so I checked out the cost of insurance. I was horrified at the prices and poor coverage (I have a lot of pre-existing conditions and lots of expensive meds). It turned out in the end that compulsory insurance did not apply to non O visa holders who sought annual extensions, only to non O-A visa holders. 

To be clear I self insure, I use private hospitals and shell out whatever they ask for in payment. I buy medicines online to try to save a bit of money as private hospitals often charge a fortune for drugs that can be obtained elsewhere at significant discounts. Understand?

Your approach mirrors mine exactly. 

@george I am wondering why this was posted here and not in the Insurance forum?

And for anyone considering giving them your phone number to get a quote be prepared to be chased repeatedly by your "contact"

I talked to them end of last year when I was considering changing from April and it became a pain to stop them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Important to understand the difference between self-pay and self-insurance.

I find many people here say they are self-insured when they are not. They have simply paid so far out of pocket and assume they will always be able to do so  -- but in fact are not positioned to be able to cover a really large bill. A single major hospitalization can exceed 1 million baht in a government hospital and 3-4 million in a private hospital.

Such people are self-paying but they are not "self insured".

To be self-insured, you must have a minimum of 1 million (3 million+ if you want to use private hospitals) readily available at all times, on a moment's notice. And a way to replenish it as used.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Important to understand the difference between self-pay and self-insurance.

I find many people here say they are self-insured when they are not. They have simply paid so far out of pocket and assume they will always be able to do so  -- but in fact are not positioned to be able to cover a really large bill. A single major hospitalization can exceed 1 million baht in a government hospital and 3-4 million in a private hospital.

Such people are self-paying but they are not "self insured".

To be self-insured, you must have a minimum of 1 million (3 million+ if you want to use private hospitals) readily available at all times, on a moment's notice. And a way to replenish it as used.

Agree 100%.

Ive had 2 major hospitalizations in the past 10yrs.... both were 5+ million

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, topt said:

@george I am wondering why this was posted here and not in the Insurance forum?

And for anyone considering giving them your phone number to get a quote be prepared to be chased repeatedly by your "contact"

I talked to them end of last year when I was considering changing from April and it became a pain to stop them.

I always advise people to just enter a entering of 0's or 9's for phone number with Cigna website because they are indeed excessive in the zeal of their sales agents (who do not always give accurate info, to boot).

Cigna Global does have its advantages, though.

-- comes under UK insurance regs; recourse to UK Ombudsman

-- comparatively less costly than other private insurance especially if a deductible (excess) is taken

-- wide range of deductible and copay options and you can see online how they affect your premiums

-- compared to other insurers they are better about accepting people with well-controlled pre-existing problems. For example, if hypertension is well controlled with medication they might still insure. So I always advise people with simple, well-controlled pre-existing conditions to try them. You will not know what they offer until you actually apply with completed health questionnaire though.

In addition to their standard policies Cigna offers something called "Close Care" which is less expensive. Similar to other policies except coverage is limited to your country of residence (e.g. Thailand) and country of nationality whereas their other policies are either worldwide or worldwide excluding USA.

Cigna Global has good track record for paying claims but communications with them can be difficult so having a broker especially important.

AFAIK you cannot get a quote for Close Care online. Have to get from a broker or Cigna Sales Rep. I would suggest the former.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

I considered signing with Cigna Dubai for their Close Care product which seems very good, if anyone requires it I have a contact email for them.

Before considering a policy issued by Cigna Dubai, better check into the insurance regulatory framework there -- what it allows and what sort of recourse you would have under it.

Pretty sure bet that any insurer will take all actions legally permitted them that work to their financial advantage.  With Cigna Global UK regulations are in force and are consumer friendly/give good protection . I do not know the situation with Dubai.

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Before considering a policy issued by Cigna Dubai, better check into the insurance regulatory framework there -- what it allows and what sort of recourse you would have under it.

Pretty sure bet that any insurer will take all actions legally permitted them that work to their financial advantage.  With Cigna Global UK regulations are in force and are consumer friendly/give good protection . I do not know the situation with Dubai.

Cigna Dubai is the  unit I was referred to by Cigna Global and by Cigna UK, when I approached them for a quote, this was based on my nationality and country of residence. Their policies are governed by the UAE Insurance Regulator which is under the control of the UAE Central Bank. I didn't get to the point of understanding specific rule sets but I understand them to be similar to the UK.

On 2/3/2024 at 11:45 AM, Sheryl said:

Cigna Global does have its advantages, though.

-- comes under UK insurance regs; recourse to UK Ombudsman

Just to note, I had CIGNA Global with HQ in Scotland for 5 years. No claims. This was from my 2018 policy:

2024-02-06_11h18_30.png.f6d2c80aa48b3578da46256352ea62f5.png