Blind Man Run Over By Train After Getting Off At The Wrong Station

image.jpeg

A VISUALLY IMPAIRED man died upon being hit by a train after mistakenly getting off at  the wrong station during his journey from Nakhon Si Thammarat in the south to Nakhon Pathom in the central region, Matichon newspaper said this afternoon (Feb. 2).

A team from Ban Pong police station, Ratchaburi province which is also in the central region, rushed to Nong Pla Duk railway station upon being alerted of a man being hit by a train there.

At the scene they found the body of the unidentified 45-year-old blind man on the train tracks and on the platform was a large backpack and a white cane. Also found was an ID card for the visually impaired.

by TNR Staff

TOP: Nong Pla Duk railway station where the blind man died today, Feb. 2,2024. Photo: Matichon

Full story: THAI NEWSROOM 2024-02-03

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 6

Poor man - so very sad. RIP and condolences to your family.

Now 80, I have mobility problems and on several occasions I find myself having to struggle up flights of steps where there are no handrails (eg from street level into Malls) not only in Thailand but here in Cambodia as well. However, when it comes to flying, as a frequent flyer with Air Asia, the airline's free wheelchair service is excellent - from check-in desk to cabin door (if booked in advance with ticket).

8 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Poor man - so very sad. RIP and condolences to your family.

Now 80, I have mobility problems and on several occasions I find myself having to struggle up flights of steps where there are no handrails (eg from street level into Malls) not only in Thailand but here in Cambodia as well. However, when it comes to flying, as a frequent flyer with Air Asia, the airline's free wheelchair service is excellent - from check-in desk to cabin door (if booked in advance with ticket).

I have the same problems as you I can't walk up steps at all without help. Although I am a couple of years younger than you. I had to take a flight from Perth to BKK with Malaysian Air where I had to change terminals in KL with hardly any time to catch the connecting flight and no lift in sight. I nearly broke another ankle struggling down the elevator.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, still kicking said:

I have the same problems as you I can't walk up steps at all without help. Although I am a couple of years younger than you. I had to take a flight from Perth to BKK with Malaysian Air where I had to change terminals in KL with hardly any time to catch the connecting flight and no lift in sight. I nearly broke another ankle struggling down the elevator.

Sir, you have my sympathy. Elevators are now a definite "no,no" for me, ever since I lost foothold and tumbled down one in my local supermarket. Fortunately no serious injuries - just small cuts and bruises. Also a large crowd of gawping customers!

30 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Sir, you have my sympathy. Elevators are now a definite "no,no" for me, ever since I lost foothold and tumbled down one in my local supermarket. Fortunately no serious injuries - just small cuts and bruises. Also a large crowd of gawping customers!

But I am back in the west now and every shopping centre has lifts and I know a lot of people don't like Thai Airways, but I will use them again since they have non-stop flights to BKK again starting after 31st of March.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, hotchilli said:

While I totally agree with your post, and Thailands lack of facilities for handicapped people of all kinds, being blind must be one of the worst to endure in Thailand.

But
 I presume he had a tongue and therefore the power of speech, he could have asked for assistance.

There's a few exceptions, I will give the BTS credit for assisting blind people, whatever station I see it at it's well managed and always someone to assist them at their disembarking station.  But generally I imagine it's a nightmare for any disability. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 11:13 PM, still kicking said:

But I am back in the west now and every shopping centre has lifts and I know a lot of people don't like Thai Airways, but I will use them again since they have non-stop flights to BKK again starting after 31st of March.

Might be time to stay in the west or hire a bodyguard.

This ain't home Toto.

31 minutes ago, sherwood said:

Might be time to stay in the west or hire a bodyguard.

This ain't home Toto.

What's wrong? I never complained I posted just what happen to me I guess you don't care about disabled people wait till you get old.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Tragic story.  I know on the BTS and MRT they have folks who assist the visually impaired on boarding and de-boarding, most if those assisting are the security personnel they have. I wonder why there was not a security person on the train platform at the location he de-boarded from.

Edited by ThailandRyan