Renewing U.S. passports, possible to 'guesstimate' new 'issued on' date?

For those U.S. folks doing the renewal-by-mail of their passports, just wondering about the 'issued on' date in the new passport, relative to when they actually have the new passport in hand 

The idea being Is there any pattern one can figure out, in relation to the new 'issued on' date (which also correlates to the expiry date), and the date/time frame the new passport has been received? 

Being as I'll do the renewal a year before the current one expires, I'd like for the new one's 'issued on' date (day/month) to be near the current one's. Just for convenience sake, really, and keep all these 'official date patterns' (PP, extension, licenses, etc.) the same, or near same, if possible.

The passport renewal, all the changes from the embassy, etc., have been discussed ad nauseam. And with the varying time frames from submitting the renewal to getting the passports back (anywhere from 3-6 weeks it seems from recent reports) maybe there's no way to target an 'issued on' date.

In the past, renewing passports at the embassy was rather simple, compared to the process in place now. Did it twice, and I'd pickup up the new passport which had an 'issued on' date just a few days prior to my pickup.

Just wonder if those getting their new passports have picked up any 'lag time' from the 'issued on' date to getting the new puppy back.

Edited by rwilem
  • Confused 4
  • Haha 2

Actually, with the variation in how long the process takes for the passport to be returned it's more or less a crap shoot, I suppose. Just gonna have to accept new 'issued on' and 'expires' dates. Hopeful they're not too far off from my 'target', haha.

Edited by rwilem

31 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

Click the link on the bottom to see if you can renew by mail

hi

just a quick question

i a a canadian dual citizen and hanent renewd my american pp in almost 30 yrs.

can i get my old pp back?

is there an option to order more pages... maybe dont need but i am curious.

thx

38 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

hi

just a quick question

i a a canadian dual citizen and hanent renewd my american pp in almost 30 yrs.

can i get my old pp back?

is there an option to order more pages... maybe dont need but i am curious.

thx

You would have to start over with a new passport.

2 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

In BOTH cases the issue date of the passport was just like a week after the application was mailed to ACS

All I can say is if you're doing it by mail follow the directions TO THE LETTER.. That means take your time, get it right, it's not a race, because skipping a step or getting a step wrong is what makes those renewals DRAG out.

Thanks for the info. Seems like the passport issue date would be not that long from the time the renewal app gets received by the embassy.

And yep, it's no race, the thing is staying on top of all the steps.

One thing to consider about passport renewal timing is how you can affect the annual extension 'drop dead' date. Getting an extension on a 'lame duck' passport is going to change your long-held permission to stay date, shortened to the time the passport expires. (Day of, or day before, I'm not sure but close enough.)

And then on a new passport you'd be dealing with immigration for your annual extension in a new time frame.  Kind of playing with both scenarios now, even though just keeping it the same is easy enough.

Edited by rwilem
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

US Embassy received passport application 12 DEC

Received the approval notice  

Passportappapproved.png.d8e3b5b518a90e2f154f7f029e723528.png

New passport dated passport dated 21 DEC 2023

Received new passport 05 JAN 2024

Just a little over three weeks, and at the holidays no less, that's a good result!

And a little over a week from when the embassy received it to an 'issued on' date.  Thanks for the info.

11 hours ago, rwilem said:

I'll do the renewal a year before the current one expires

A year ahead of time? Why so early?

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Sent in Old US passport oct 13th<  New one is dated Nov 13th, total time 41 days till it was in my hands

Wow...one month after you sent it in, 'issued on'. Yeah, like those box of chocolates, I guess. Never know what you're gonna get.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bunnydrops said:

You would have to start over with a new passport.

i know... i want to know if upon renewal they will send me back my old passport. i have social security number as required and a really old passport i would like to get back. the canadian embassy sends it back [old passport] if requested with a corner cut out. does the us embassy do the same?

26 minutes ago, bbko said:

A year ahead of time? Why so early?

Well, if I don't renew about a year ahead, for my next extension with immigration the permission to stay date will be shortened to the time the passport expires.  And that date will become the new 'permitted to stay until' for subsequent extensions. So do I want to stay on the same long-held extension/OK stay until date? If yes, gotta get the new passport a year before it would expire.

• Agree 2

I renewed my US passport online and by mail about a year ago. The new passport's Issued On date had no relationship with my old passports Expiry Date. I renewed mine about 6 months before my old one expired. 

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

i know... i want to know if upon renewal they will send me back my old passport. i have social security number as required and a really old passport i would like to get back. the canadian embassy sends it back [old passport] if requested with a corner cut out. does the us embassy do the same?

Yes, people get both passports back, the old passport usually has a hole punched through it, denoting it's no longer valid.

In your case, your U.S. passport has now been expired for 20 years, if you last got one 30 years ago. I think you're going to have to start from scratch.

BUT, check with the embassy, there is a contact form for passport-related issues.

Edited by rwilem
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

I renewed my US passport online and by mail about a year ago. The new passport's Issued On date had no relationship with my old passports Expiry Date. I renewed mine about 6 months before my old one expired. 

Right, they're all new, get an 'issued on' date, it expires ten years from that date. New numbers, new dates, you get a brand new you.

• Haha 1

They should give 11 years on passports. As it stands you get 9 and change because all the surrounding countries and visa processes won’t allow less than a certain number of months. Passports should be free too; meaning our taxes should pay for them. Thx for attending my tedtalk on bs taxes and fees

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rwilem said:

In your case, your U.S. passport has now been expired for 20 years, if you last got one 30 years ago. I think you're going to have to start from scratch.

sorry for my ignorance... but what does start from scratch imply?  if you know offhand let me know... i will get around to it if no one knows for sure some day

6 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

sorry for my ignorance... but what does start from scratch imply?  if you know offhand let me know... i will get around to it if no one knows for sure some day

Start all over again, from the beginning. 

2 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

thanks, but never mind... real helpful

Look, on the website you're asked a few questions to determine whether one is eligible to renew by mail. If you're 15 years or more outside of a renewal, as is in your case, you are not able to continue with a renewal by mail. What happens? I don't know, didn't pursue it much but it seemed to suggest that in such a case one would be limited to getting a new passport only in the U.S. 

BUT, take a look, and ask them about it, there is a contact form at that juncture.

Edited by rwilem
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rwilem said:

Look, on the website you're asked a few questions to determine whether one is eligible to renew by mail. If you're 15 years or more outside of a renewal, as is in your case, you are not able to continue with a renewal by mail. What happens? I don't know, didn't pursue it much but it seemed to suggest that in such a case one would be limited to getting a new passport only in the U.S. 

BUT, take a look, and ask them about it, there is a contact form at that juncture.

thank you. this is the kind of information I needed. i appreciate your help very much and this renewal thing seems tedious to me, so this is why i just gave up a long time ago. having another valid passport made me kind of lazy to renew it... but i know that if ever i want to start a business here under the "amity" agreement I will need my american passport and i will also need to reenter thailand as an american. one thing i can say is that when i first got my passport it was at the canadian consulate/embassy in montreal, so i definitely have to look into whether i can do it outside of the US of A. thanks rwilem... you just gave me the kick in the proverbial arse i needed... cheers dude

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Did mine 15 months before it was due to expire, as u need at least 13 months valid date for ur new 1 year extension.

I always thought you needed 6 months for an extension 

22 hours ago, rwilem said:

Thanks for the info. Seems like the passport issue date would be not that long from the time the renewal app gets received by the embassy.

And yep, it's no race, the thing is staying on top of all the steps.

One thing to consider about passport renewal timing is how you can affect the annual extension 'drop dead' date. Getting an extension on a 'lame duck' passport is going to change your long-held permission to stay date, shortened to the time the passport expires. (Day of, or day before, I'm not sure but close enough.)

And then on a new passport you'd be dealing with immigration for your annual extension in a new time frame.  Kind of playing with both scenarios now, even though just keeping it the same is easy enough.

don't understand why the date on your passport has anything to do with your extension, unless you have less than one year left on your passport and the your extension is only good until the date of your passport expiration. US passports are good for ten years, just can't see how this would be an issue to anyone

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, rwilem said:

Well, if I don't renew about a year ahead, for my next extension with immigration the permission to stay date will be shortened to the time the passport expires.  And that date will become the new 'permitted to stay until' for subsequent extensions. So do I want to stay on the same long-held extension/OK stay until date? If yes, gotta get the new passport a year before it would expire.

Not really, you just need to get your new passport before your extension is about to expire, I would never do it before than, just loosing time on your present passport. Plan on the worst case for getting your passport back, six months would be plenty of time.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 9:52 PM, rwilem said:

For those U.S. folks doing the renewal-by-mail of their passports, just wondering about the 'issued on' date in the new passport, relative to when they actually have the new passport in hand 

The idea being Is there any pattern one can figure out, in relation to the new 'issued on' date (which also correlates to the expiry date), and the date/time frame the new passport has been received? 

Being as I'll do the renewal a year before the current one expires, I'd like for the new one's 'issued on' date (day/month) to be near the current one's. Just for convenience sake, really, and keep all these 'official date patterns' (PP, extension, licenses, etc.) the same, or near same, if possible.

The passport renewal, all the changes from the embassy, etc., have been discussed ad nauseam. And with the varying time frames from submitting the renewal to getting the passports back (anywhere from 3-6 weeks it seems from recent reports) maybe there's no way to target an 'issued on' date.

In the past, renewing passports at the embassy was rather simple, compared to the process in place now. Did it twice, and I'd pickup up the new passport which had an 'issued on' date just a few days prior to my pickup.

Just wonder if those getting their new passports have picked up any 'lag time' from the 'issued on' date to getting the new puppy back.

Two questions, when does your passport expire and when does your extension expire?

2 hours ago, flexomike said:

Not really, you just need to get your new passport before your extension is about to expire, I would never do it before than, just loosing time on your present passport

Extension date, 'permitted to stay' date, is always Jan. 25. Current passport expires Nov. 13, 2025. Next year's extension, if done on current passport, would change the 'permitted to stay date' to match that passport's expiry date.

If I want to just keep the same Jan. 25 'permitted to stay' date, then I will need a new passport, and most likely would apply for the renewal sometime in mid- October, give it a buffer so that I've got the new one by December. Even if I do the renewal later, (November, early December) that's still about a year ahead of the current one's expiration.

The issue becomes what's the priority, sticking with a tried-and-true extension time frame, which I'm comfortable with, or getting max use of the current  passport?

The idea of targeting the new passport's 'issued on' date, a ballpark estimate for that, just doing a challenge, I guess  See if I can affect that so that it's close to what I've got now. Since I'm gonna get one anyways. Just keep things close to the same, if possible 

Edited by rwilem
  • Confused 1

Do your passport renewal at least 2 month before it expires.  I did mine by mail - embassy received the next day, 6 weeks before expire date.. Ended up getting a EMERGENCY passport ( in 3 hours - 1 year ) 4 days before extension expired because "regular" passport was not received by embassy in BKK. 3 DAYS after Emergency passort issued, a call from embassy my regular 10 year passport was ready - emergency passport ( 1 year valid ) had new extension stamp already. Went thru the hassle of getting new regular passport updated with extension stamp. I carried both regular and emergency passports and RECEIPTS of payment when I left Thailand for 10 days just to be safe.  BOTH were checked upon re-entry.

Edited by edwardflory
spelling
  • Like 1