Renewing U.S. passports, possible to 'guesstimate' new 'issued on' date?

On 2/4/2024 at 9:35 AM, Pouatchee said:

i know... i want to know if upon renewal they will send me back my old passport. i have social security number as required and a really old passport i would like to get back. the canadian embassy sends it back [old passport] if requested with a corner cut out. does the us embassy do the same?

Yes, you will receive your old passport back with a hole punched in the corner of the passport to invalidate it.

To answer your earlier question, all applicants at the US Embassy Bangkok received the longer 50-page version of the passport without asking.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

So circling back, if you want to target a specific issued on date, mail your package 7 ~ 10 days before that date.

Yep, that seems to the pattern. The 'issued on' date correlates more with the time the package is received by the embassy than the time it's returned to sender.   

Next Gen style passport, you say. What's next gen about it? Just wonder about that.

47 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

Yes, you can absolutely apply for a new US passport in Thailand.

Good info. I wasn't looking all that closely about the several exceptions to renewal-by-mail, those categories not allowed to. I did see a sentence, highlighted I believe, that in some case the passport could only be acquired in the U.S. But good that the fella above will be able to get it here.

• Like 1

Next Gen passport has a bunch of anti counterfeit features. I have one, and personally do not like it. 

One of the features I do NOT like ( but understand why ) is when you copy information you need for immigration, bank accounts and more, the copy sucks as to reproduction quality

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/3/2024 at 6:52 AM, rwilem said:

For those U.S. folks doing the renewal-by-mail of their passports, just wondering about the 'issued on' date in the new passport, relative to when they actually have the new passport in hand 

The idea being Is there any pattern one can figure out, in relation to the new 'issued on' date (which also correlates to the expiry date), and the date/time frame the new passport has been received? 

Being as I'll do the renewal a year before the current one expires, I'd like for the new one's 'issued on' date (day/month) to be near the current one's. Just for convenience sake, really, and keep all these 'official date patterns' (PP, extension, licenses, etc.) the same, or near same, if possible.

The passport renewal, all the changes from the embassy, etc., have been discussed ad nauseam. And with the varying time frames from submitting the renewal to getting the passports back (anywhere from 3-6 weeks it seems from recent reports) maybe there's no way to target an 'issued on' date.

In the past, renewing passports at the embassy was rather simple, compared to the process in place now. Did it twice, and I'd pickup up the new passport which had an 'issued on' date just a few days prior to my pickup.

Just wonder if those getting their new passports have picked up any 'lag time' from the 'issued on' date to getting the new puppy back.

I think what you are asking will the new passport and date of issue be closed to the old expiration date?

The answer is NO from my experience.  Right after Covid, I tagged along with my brother to the Embassy who needed to renew his passport. Thinking although I had a year and a half left why not see if I can do it never know of another lockdown?  We went beginning of September, and two weeks later I received the passport in the mail. Date of issue was the end of September.

3 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

I always thought you needed 6 months for an extension 

extension's are for 1 year
if ur passport ONLY has 6 months than thats all ur extension will be for , for the same price
so......
i am NOT referring ,nor interested in a 1 month extension for a visa exempt or tourist visa  🙂
OK?

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, thailand49 said:
On 2/3/2024 at 9:52 PM, rwilem said:

I think what you are asking will the new passport and date of issue be closed to the old expiration date?.

Not quite....I understand that the new 'issued on' date will not have any connection to the current one's expiration date.

Just investigating the time frame of a renewal application and the new 'issued on' date that goes in the passport, and how best to proceed to possibly affect that. I'll be applying for a new one well in advance, just the timing of my annual extension's 'stay until date' and passport's expiration are coming into play next time around.

6 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

thank you. this is the kind of information I needed. i appreciate your help very much and this renewal thing seems tedious to me, so this is why i just gave up a long time ago. having another valid passport made me kind of lazy to renew it... but i know that if ever i want to start a business here under the "amity" agreement I will need my american passport and i will also need to reenter thailand as an american. one thing i can say is that when i first got my passport it was at the canadian consulate/embassy in montreal, so i definitely have to look into whether i can do it outside of the US of A. thanks rwilem... you just gave me the kick in the proverbial arse i needed... cheers dude

Looks like you're in luck, the info is above, you can apply at the embassy. In person. That old passport is gonna come in handy!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, rwilem said:

Not quite....I understand that the new 'issued on' date will not have any connection to the current one's expiration date.

Just investigating the time frame of a renewal application and the new 'issued on' date that goes in the passport, and how best to proceed to possibly affect that. I'll be applying for a new one well in advance, just the timing of my annual extension's 'stay until date' and passport's expiration are coming into play next time around.

Isnt that what I said!  

I did not respond to you about your extension but the renewal of your passport earlier as you noted a year down the road.

My own passport didnt expired until October 2, 2024!

I renewed early Sept 2022!  When I got my new passport dates are

Issue:  19 Sept 22

Expire:  20 Sept 32

You use info and take it as you like!

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, edwardflory said:

Next Gen passport has a bunch of anti counterfeit features. I have one, and personally do not like it. 

One of the features I do NOT like ( but understand why ) is when you copy information you need for immigration, bank accounts and more, the copy sucks as to reproduction quality

Who knows what’s in there. For all we know there could be a datchip in there tacking us. 
My beef with this passport “feature” topic is *they* decide what nonsensical features to put in the passport at our cost. If we put it to a vote I’m sure we’d all vote for the cheapest, simplest passports possible. But no, we have to pay to have ourselves tracked and traced and lord knows what else. Nobody should have to pay for passports anyway they should be funded by our federal taxes. I wonder what would happen if that was put up to a vote in our “democracy”. Thx for attending my tedtalk #2 on scams and dumb government fees

On 2/3/2024 at 9:52 PM, rwilem said:

For those U.S. folks doing the renewal-by-mail of their passports, just wondering about the 'issued on' date in the new passport, relative to when they actually have the new passport in hand 

The idea being Is there any pattern one can figure out, in relation to the new 'issued on' date (which also correlates to the expiry date), and the date/time frame the new passport has been received? 

Being as I'll do the renewal a year before the current one expires, I'd like for the new one's 'issued on' date (day/month) to be near the current one's. Just for convenience sake, really, and keep all these 'official date patterns' (PP, extension, licenses, etc.) the same, or near same, if possible.

The passport renewal, all the changes from the embassy, etc., have been discussed ad nauseam. And with the varying time frames from submitting the renewal to getting the passports back (anywhere from 3-6 weeks it seems from recent reports) maybe there's no way to target an 'issued on' date.

In the past, renewing passports at the embassy was rather simple, compared to the process in place now. Did it twice, and I'd pickup up the new passport which had an 'issued on' date just a few days prior to my pickup.

Just wonder if those getting their new passports have picked up any 'lag time' from the 'issued on' date to getting the new puppy back.

I am no expert in this area of expertise but I know the govt - they will process your new passport form and date the new passport as your paperwork is finalized so since you ask for a new passport a year in advance, the date for the new passport will be current and your old passport has been poked and no longer is valid for use.  The process BTW has been accomplished in around a month total time.  Now, you have to have any immigration stamps transferred soonest.  But they insist on the latest 90-day report be done with the "dead" passport instead of he new one - at least in CM.

• Confused 1

On 2/5/2024 at 6:47 PM, Robert Paulson said:

Who knows what’s in there. For all we know there could be a datchip in there tacking us. 
My beef with this passport “feature” topic is *they* decide what nonsensical features to put in the passport at our cost. If we put it to a vote I’m sure we’d all vote for the cheapest, simplest passports possible. But no, we have to pay to have ourselves tracked and traced and lord knows what else. Nobody should have to pay for passports anyway they should be funded by our federal taxes. I wonder what would happen if that was put up to a vote in our “democracy”. Thx for attending my tedtalk #2 on scams and dumb government fees

Passsports faked around the world with the US passport rating high on the "to do" list.  The datachip is just an additional attempt at blocking anyone's copying of a passport.

24 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Now, you have to have any immigration stamps transferred soonest. 

As I noted above, I just got a new US Passport so I cannot do the next 90-Day TM30 online. Has to be done in the office.

I went to the 90 day window. OK. After giving me the new 90 Day form (with a date next in May) the gent said you have to transfer the current extension from the old passport to the new and said But you can do it tomorrow.

I said I am not leaving Thailand at all so I can do it at the next extension (just carry the 2 passports).

He said Right. And a nice Good-bye.

On 2/4/2024 at 8:22 AM, bunnydrops said:

You would have to start over with a new passport.

The State Dept punches holes in the front cover page of the old passport as a new one is issued and they have always returned the old with the new passport.  Done many times over the years

On 2/7/2024 at 6:04 AM, jerrymahoney said:

As I noted above, I just got a new US Passport so I cannot do the next 90-Day TM30 online. Has to be done in the office.

I went to the 90 day window. OK. After giving me the new 90 Day form (with a date next in May) the gent said you have to transfer the current extension from the old passport to the new and said But you can do it tomorrow.

I said I am not leaving Thailand at all so I can do it at the next extension (just carry the 2 passports).

He said Right. And a nice Good-bye.

yes, you can carry around the old passport too but in reality, the State Department has cancelled that passport number so ... yeah for locals who knows?

On 2/5/2024 at 9:32 AM, bamnutsak said:

So circling back, if you want to target a specific issued on date, mail your package 7 ~ 10 days before that date.

And expect your new (and old/canceled) passport in 35 - 42 days from the mail date.

The passport will be the new Next Gen style.

Passport cards take longer.

There is no longer a letter for Immigration.

As of April 10, 2023, the Embassy/Consulate will no longer issue passport linkage letters with newly issued passports. If a Thai government office requests one, your cancelled passport and your newly issued passport will suffice. You may download this letter (PDF 70KB) in Thai and English that explains the change in Embassy policy.

https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/Notification-of-cessation-of-linkage-letters.pdf

I just did my transfer of data from old passport to new passport, I too am American and CM immigration NEVER mentioned the "no-longer-available" letter from the US embassy.