British Tourist Dies After Fall from Pattaya Hotel

webfact

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

I find many balconies here are way to low. Many times in hotels I have stayed away from the balconies. My Son's Condo in Hua Hin is a good example. He, like me is over 6 foot tall, the balcony only comes to hip height, maybe a bit more. I asked if I could raise the railing, in the same style and materials, but was denied, so I fitted non skid tape along the tiles as when they are wet they are like ice, and he is on the 6th. floor. 

seems from what can be seen in pic that his balcony was not low and would be very difficult to accidentally fall over it...sad ending whatever happened..

..people also manage to "fall" overboard on cruise ships which requires a lot of effort to do and generally the cameras show that it is normally some drunk person climbing up on railing for a "king of the world" or selfie pic...high rails are good but certainly there will still be people going over them...

• Thumbs Up 1

Fell , jumped. or "Preliminary investigations conducted by Pattaya police revealed no signs of foul play inside the victim’s room. "

the tidy serial killer in Pattaya ,  RIP , remember anyone going to Pattaya get a 1 st floor room, 

regards Worgeordie

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

If they had been cats, even house cats, they would have easily survived their falls.

The human body just cannot tolerate a fall from more than 10 feet in the air, in most cases.

This is why I have now chosen to live in a house of only one floor.

Although, in my case, I would like to dig a cellar, as both a root cellar, and also as a bunker to protect my ears against the extreme-bass-thumping of the local music.

Sometimes, I wonder if it might be this very loud bass thumping music which drives some foreigners to inadvertently fall from high floors, when they become distracted and overwhelmed by the sound of it.

F=ma

Before the Russian/Ukraine war I wanted tp go to Moscow, but I could not find a hotel that had no windows or balcony

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

civil mad law suit photo again 

image.png.4534b39c78c871cfa7c18c872d4dc51e.png

I'd love to ask whoever made the decision to publish such a totally pointless photo why he did so. I expect we'd get the deer in the headlights stare. There is no logic to it at all. None. But then, trying to find logic in Thailand is like trying to catch grains of sand with a fork.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sadly, most likely self-inflicted with intent, I suspect. Not a new phenomenon for the lonely of Pattaya. Those lying to themselves about the joys of debauchery, paying for meaningless and shallow sensual experiences with young ladies, as if you will be forever young. Then you get to ~70 (maybe sooner) and realize your life is empty, devoid of meaning, and loveless. To the point where you stop loving yourself because you forgot how to love anything. The end. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

Good point. My local temple was at the super-loud bass-heavy music yesterday from morning until 9 pm. Place of peace and tranquillity my backside. Only just got over the week or more of noise coming from one of the colleges in Ban Ampher, which is about a kilometre away but was rattling my house walls and windows. 

I feel your pain.  I live on a high-end estate next door to a house dubbed The Swedish bar.  There's a Manc Yob who feels the need to draw attention to himself when he is unable to hold his liquor.

4 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Is it more a case of depression and a wish to "check out" from the world?

Realistically, it isn't easy to accidentally fall off a balcony unless one wanted to, or was pushed.

Thai balcony railings are notoriously low - lower than in the west, and can be below your centre mass point.  Easy to fall over if you lean on that when tipsy.  I'm scared of my own condo balcony (happens to be 4th floor too).

"Ms. Waew, who witnessed the incident, said she was lying in her room but then heard someone fall......"

"She heard someone fall"? What does that sound like?

".........she was lying in her room...." So how did she witness the incident?

Sorry - a bit bored today - sympathies to the family of yet another "high rise statistic" in Pattaya.

5 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Realistically, it isn't easy to accidentally fall off a balcony unless one wanted to, or was pushed.

Used to be that CSI: ANF dicks would fill this kind of thread with posts insisting on the pushed theory and questioning whether the BIB had checked for all the obvious evidence. Perhaps the forum really has improved.

Now years ago we did have a spate of ANF Tunnel Construction Engineers jumping from flophouses on Soi Buakhao after it became the clear that the Tunnel was absolutely NOT going to flood, contrary to years of the smug sneers and predictions. Turned out that water flows downhill. For days you could hardly walk around without hearing the thud of a falling body.

However, these recent cases seem unrelated to disappointment over the failure of Dire Predictions. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

... or drunk, or confused (mini stroke?), or a number of other "natural" reasons. If someone wants to kill themselves, it should be common knowledge that the "safe" height is on/above 7th floor...

40 minutes ago, SportRider said:
40 minutes ago, SportRider said:

Thai balcony railings are notoriously low - lower than in the west, and can be below your centre mass point.  Easy to fall over if you lean on that when tipsy.  I'm scared of my own condo balcony (happens to be 4th floor too).

"Thai balcony railings are notoriously low" - very true, and in some places so are the door "headers"! I've lost count of the number of times I've "banged my bonce"!

You would think by now that builders/designers (of hotels especially) in tourist areas would have realised that the height of the average tourist is a lot more than that of the average Thai, and make adjustments accordingly? Oh, I forgot - "TIT",  and bigger door frames and higher balcony railings would cost a few more baht - can't have that! 🙂 

Edited by sambum
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, shotover said:

10 METERS! Are you Batman? This works without serious injury if you falling into water or a trampoline. 

I was a teenager and a large group of men were chasing me. I didn’t stop to find out why and took a route that I knew that would/could not follow. 
Turned out they were policemen and a case of mistaken identity… after my mum went to the police station to file a report. 

8 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Or very, very drunk or high... 

8 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Have you ever been in Thailand? If a person is 6ft or more its very easy to take a nose dive in Thailand due to the rail being so low. I'm OK because I'm a short arse Jock but still avoid hotel balconies.

10 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

civil mad law suit photo again 

image.png.4534b39c78c871cfa7c18c872d4dc51e.png

If you check out the Swedish Hotel plunge they show the full unedited photo of the same hotel. Must be short in Hotel photos to publish. 

1 hour ago, BritScot said:

Have you ever been in Thailand? If a person is 6ft or more its very easy to take a nose dive in Thailand due to the rail being so low. I'm OK because I'm a short arse Jock but still avoid hotel balconies.

I'm 187cm, just under 6'3" for non-metrics.

I haven't felt at risk of falling over any balcony rail. Neither do I fall into the water on rail-free boardwalks in the mangrove forest near us.

I'm aware there is a drop. 

Just checked the ones across the front of our house 90cm / 3ft; that's fine. One would have to be almost running to 'nose dive' or more likely in these recent ones, p1ssed.

Six years at this place we haven't lost a family member or guest.

2 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

I'm 187cm, just under 6'3" for non-metrics.

I haven't felt at risk of falling over any balcony rail. Neither do I fall into the water on rail-free boardwalks in the mangrove forest near us.

I'm aware there is a drop. 

Just checked the ones across the front of our house 90cm / 3ft; that's fine. One would have to be almost running to 'nose dive' or more likely in these recent ones, p1ssed.

Six years at this place we haven't lost a family member or guest.

What's the point of having a 3ft high balcony rail? As a 6ft 3' man you'll not be able to lean on it to admire the view, and it certainly wouldn't prevent you from falling if you lost your balance one day. 

Why not just have a 1ft high rail, or no rail at all? Maybe just a row of nice plants...

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

remember anyone going to Pattaya get a 1 st floor room, 

I'd rather stay on a higher floor and stay off the balcony.  Staying on the ground floor increases the risk of being burglarized.  I have 100% control over whether I go out on the balcony.  Much less control over whether someone else breaks in.

12 hours ago, Smokin Joe said:

Two things that stood out to me:

1st News Post - "he succumbed to his wounds"

Wounds? Not injuries? Hmmmm

2nd News Post - "Ms. xxxx, who witnessed the incident, said she was lying in her room but then heard someone fall.

Wonder how she knew it was someone, rather than something

The moaning that followed the fall. Things don't moan. 

Seriously,Isn’t it time for cages around those balcony’s!

Just think about all those British lives

that would be saved!

God save the King

Edited by riclag

Never heard of any country where so many people fall from balconies. The Costa del Sol in Spain comes to mind. So many drunken tourists but no headlines about regular defenestration.

• Like 1