What's A จมูกแด่น?

kokesaat

I've just started reading The Story of Tongdaeng, Biography of a Pet Dog. The book is a welcome respite from Benjawan Becker's Advanced Reader.......and more my level of vocabulary. In describing the special characteristics of Tongdaeng, reference is made to the dog's จมูกแด่น. The book, which provides an English translation, says it's a nose with a white spot. My wife says it's more like a pushed up nose (but not as in a pug's pushed up nose). I can't find anything in the dictionary. Anyone have any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
I've just started reading The Story of Tongdaeng, Biography of a Pet Dog. The book is a welcome respite from Benjawan Becker's Advanced Reader.......and more my level of vocabulary. In describing the special characteristics of Tongdaeng, reference is made to the dog's จมูกแด่น. The book, which provides an English translation, says it's a nose with a white spot. My wife says it's more like a pushed up nose (but not as in a pug's pushed up nose). I can't find anything in the dictionary. Anyone have any ideas?

แด่น??I think the word is เด่น to be prominent or outstanding

If you like reading about dogs I can recommend the Scooby-Doo books available in many bookshops. The stories are in both English and Thai and now come in a box-set of 12 books for about 500 baht.

Scoooooby Dooooby Dooo

รักสงบ, if you have one of those books available, could you give me a few lines so I can get an idea of the difficultly level? English or Thai would be fine. Thanks

If you like reading about dogs I can recommend the Scooby-Doo books available in many bookshops. The stories are in both English and Thai and now come in a box-set of 12 books for about 500 baht.

Scoooooby Dooooby Dooo

รักสงบ, if you have one of those books available, could you give me a few lines so I can get an idea of the difficultly level? English or Thai would be fine. Thanks

These books are what I would call 'young adult' level and meant for Thais to read in English. But for some reason they are placed in the Thai language sections of B2S (Central) and Se-Ed bookshops amongst the Thai young adult books. I first started buying them separately over a year ago (45 baht each) but I I noticed that once they sell out they are not re-stocked (limited print run?). I have 16 titles now.

If you do not want to buy the box set (540 baht), try and find an individual copy. B2S in Central, Silom Complex have a few copies of one title left. I find them great because the Thai is colloquial and relatively easy to understand, (whereas the English is very American and slangy). Great for building up your vocabulary, although the downside is that you have to get to know lots of Thai words for ghouls, ghosts, spirits and the like.

Sample Thai (this is going to take me a while!!!)

"ถึงเเล้ว เพื่อนๆ" ฉันร้องบอกขณะที่จอดรถเทียบหน้าอาคารโอ่อ่าที่สร้างจากหิน A small sign hung on the door. It said THE HAUNTED HOUND

From "The Case of the Haunted Hound"

Any mistakes are mine and not Scooby Doo's

I've been reading the "A Series of Unfortunate Events" series (อยากให้เรื่องนี้ไม่มีโชคร้าย) Nothing special but it's good practice. It's helpful too as it likes to present new vocabulary and then explain the meaning within the context of the story itself. Eg. one character has a large vocabulary, the other character doesn't so the first will explain the word to the second (and by doing so to the reader too). My local bookstore is nothing special and has them so I assume these books will be easy to find.