Maya Bay voted world’s third best beach by Lonely Planet

snoop1130

main-9.png

Maya Bay, in Thailand’s southern province of Phang-nga, has been ranked the world’s third best beach by the Lonely Planet travel guide in its January edition.

Maya Bay was described as “a slip of a beach hidden by limestone cliffs” and it was chosen by film director Danny Boyle as the location for the 2000 movie “The Beach”, starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

Despite numerous legal cases associated with its use as a filming location, the movie’s popularity has put Maya Bay, known locally as Ao Maya, on the world’s tourist map, attracting around 6,000 tourist daily.

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-02-05

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Maya Bay, in Thailand’s southern province of Phang-nga, has been ranked the world’s third best beach by the Lonely Planet travel guide in its January edition.

By Lonely planet... but not by those with an education.

8 minutes ago, john donson said:

attracting around 6,000 tourist daily.

boy would I want to be on this lovely beach with only 6000 other narcissists

The last time I was there before covid talking to one of the park rangers he said 10,000 a day, 

39 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

The last time I was there before covid talking to one of the park rangers he said 10,000 a day, 

image.png.68d716b792c3a3735163dd5a317b82c2.png

3 hours ago, The Old Bull said:

Last time that I was there went swimming off a dive boat moored in the bay but never landed on the beach.

I don't think boats are allowed in the bay any more, and have to enter via the other side at Loh Samay Bay.

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

At 400 bahts per head for entrance. And Koh Phi Phi do not have still a proper water treatment system. I wonder....