Flashing light option on torches

Daffy D

Agree the flashing light is a real PIA 99% of the time - and a danger for some with medical issues.  But the SOS on tire inflater might be helpful on the highway getting help (as most of us still know those letter and meaning of the Morse Code).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, treetops said:

Trivia, but did you know the original notification for an SMS on Nokia phones was Morse code for SMS?  ... -- ...

No, I did *not* know that and this is absolutely the kind of content I am here for. More, please! 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, treetops said:

Trivia, but did you know the original notification for an SMS on Nokia phones was Morse code for SMS?  ... -- ...

I had a Nokia a few years back.   I called their tech support and asked why it was sending s m s in Morse code.   The guy said it wasn't Morse code.   I assured the tech that it was, that I had been a military trained Morse code operator able to send and receive Morse code.   He still claimed it was not Morse code.   OK, I said.  Have a good day. 

I would still like to know what the notification was for as I never was able to find out.  It would be interesting to know why it was chosen too. 

7 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

I had a Nokia a few years back.   I called their tech support and asked why it was sending s m s in Morse code.   The guy said it wasn't Morse code.   I assured the tech that it was, that I had been a military trained Morse code operator able to send and receive Morse code.   He still claimed it was not Morse code.   OK, I said.  Have a good day. 

I would still like to know what the notification was for as I never was able to find out.  It would be interesting to know why it was chosen too. 

It was clearly SMS in morse code and the techs knew very well what is was - that also had another morse code ringtone as below.

Doesn't the battery last longer when flashing? So if push came to shove you could find your way out of the jungle at night because the illumination lasts longer.🤔

• Agree 1

Now that I think about it.   Here is some Morse code trivia, from Vietnam.   But first, some info about . (dots) and _ (dashes).   In the radio Morse world, a dot is correctly called a dit.   A dash is called a dah.  

In the radio Morse net I used to operate in, some of the operators (OP/OPS), instead of ending a communications with dit dah, dit dah dit, which is AR (I don't know why AR was chosen to end communications) the OP  would end communications with, dit dit.   Those who knew what was going on would respond with, dah, the first OP would then send, dit.  The second OP would a, dah, the first op would send a dit, the second OP would send dah, ending the communications.  

It would look like this (translated into English)
dit dit = I, dah = T, dit = E, dah = T, dit = E, dah = T.    Someone not knowing what was going on, but copying the Morse code from each of the individual ops, might copy the letters, I, T, E, T, E, T.   

But if only one op sent all the code, it would be copied as FTA, which means,  F ... The Army!

This might only be of interest to old Army Morse operators, or any one else that could copy code.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It was clearly SMS in morse code and the techs knew very well what is was - that also had another morse code ringtone as below.

Whoo boy...  All those ring tones just to get to the only other Morse code (that I heard) ring tone, the last one,  for "CONNECTING PEOPLE" . 

Edited by radiochaser

52 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

I don't think there is any significance to the Morse code, just something the programmer wanted to do for a bit of fun. 

Would be nice if there was some way of giving the programmer some feedback, just to let him know there are some people out there who noticed and appreciate his bit of fun.

:smile:

• Thumbs Up 1

I bought one of those super bright torches from a FB ad a few years ago, it is indeed very bright but the annoying thing is it takes a long press to turn on/off and a short press to scroll through the 4 brightness (including flashing) options.

Everyone wants to briefly borrow it when they see its power but never understand how it operates.

When the Tessabahn water truck guy was filling our water tank ( another equally exciting topic ) one evening I watched him scroll through the lights options 5 times before I eventually motioned him to give it back.

For the OP, here’s a FB group you might be interested in:

IMG_2882.thumb.jpeg.7724a2a197e9d7ff0157f49c7c8b20b9.jpeg

Eagle eyed posters might have noticed i have already joined !!

• Haha 1

On 2/8/2024 at 10:09 AM, Morch said:

I find it very useful deterring the occasional aggressive dogs during night walks with our dog. Switch to narrow, stronger beam, click the flash and point - they usually scuttle off, or stay away.

True!

If someone wants to buy a really strong and heavy aluminum flashlight, I can recommend this XHP70 here. It only costs 247 THB. I bought 2 of them around a year ago and be real happy with it.
https://s.lazada.co.th/s.mieBX?cc

But you need also 2 powerful 5.000mAh 26650 batteries. You can use 18650 batteries too but they are finish fast.
https://s.lazada.co.th/s.miV7E?cc

Here you can see it in action: 

Edited by snowgard
  • Thanks 1

If needs are small and bright bought several of these about 2 years ago and have found them excellent (and actually looks good) - size of life saver pack but much stronger than normal flashlight and has excellent zoom - at under 70 baht with battery a real value.  Expect someone sells on Lazada but not sure.

https://shopee.co.th/LED+Flashlight%2C+Portable+3+Modes+Rechargeable+Waterproof+Torch+Light+LED+Flashlight%2C+Use+USB+power%2C+1200+mAh+battery%2C++5W++(lyfs.th)-i.100515615.7041996539/?smtt=580.128498532.7&stm_medium=referral&stm_source=rw

• Like 1