Romanian Tourist Falls to Death from Pattaya Hotel Balcony

snoop1130

S__91373590-696x391.jpg

A 63-year-old Romanian tourist lost his life in a fall from the balcony of a 7-story hotel in Soi 5, Pattaya, on Friday morning, February 9th.

The incident was reported to Pattaya police around 9:30 AM. Police officers and rescue workers arrived at an unidentified hotel to find the lifeless body of the deceased, a 63-year-old Romanian man whose name was withheld pending family and embassy notification, in the garden area below the balcony.

The victim, clad only in black shorts, had sustained severe head injuries and dislocated limbs. Authorities cordoned off the scene before transporting the body to a nearby local hospital. The victim’s wife was present at the incident scene, visibly distraught by the tragic incident. She did not provide a statement to the press.

By Aim Tanakorn

Full story: The Pattaya News 2024-02-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 4

The victim’s wife was present at the incident scene, visibly distraught by the tragic incident. She did not provide a statement to the press.

Let's assume she will have plausible answers for police.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

It was always reported as a person on the tracks though and never in the news

Almost never any suicide reports in German news except celebrities or the like.

In the radio you sometimes hear n the traffic news: subway/metro station closed due to a medical operation.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

7-story hotel in Soi 5, Pattaya,

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

arrived at an unidentified hotel

Why couldn't they identify it , I have just been on Google Earth and knowing the soi and what the hotel looks like it is not hard to find and there is a big sign showing the name of the hotel.

Ah, the famous balcony deaths are back with more tourists... More booze than they drink at home... lower balcony rails than they are used at home... whether suicide or accident, does it really matter, as long as they don't injure/kill somebody or cause damage by falling on a car? Dead is dead

24 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Romanian ? stealing the balcony metal or climbing back from next door ? 

Thats what i was thinking.

Was he climbing back around from the room next door. Eastern Europeans are a motley lot no better than Russians.

The balcony height looks adequate so cant see him accidently toppling over.

The eyewitness said he was hanging on to the railings.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I don't think it's all accidental falls. Maybe people doing it on purpose due to financial or emotional problems. It's guys that are around a lot of booze and hookers and that lifestyle can get a bit crazy if you don't have control. You pick up on other people's problems. Their problems become your problems. Often you can't tell just by seeing your neighbor who says hi and appears ok.

A problem shared,... means two people have a problem.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, G_Money said:

Seems like every month one reads of this.

According to the article, it's 3 just in Pattaya in a week.

I wonder if there's someone advertising online that they will push someone off a balcony for a few baht?  Seems like a win-win for a hitman and an angry wife, perhaps with an insurance policy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

I don't fancy this as a way of killing myself. Too much time to think on the way down...

RIP.

It will only be a few seconds, but definitely long enough to change your mind 🥹

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, G_Money said:

Seems like every month one reads of this.

We've had THREE this WEEK!  Why doesn't Pattaya's Authorities form a committee and agree an edict forcing all balcony railings to be raised to five foot.  The Committee could be called Health & Safety for Tourists.

Edited by mikebell
extra thoughts.
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I don't think it's all accidental falls. Maybe people doing it on purpose due to financial or emotional problems. It's guys that are around a lot of booze and hookers and that lifestyle can get a bit crazy if you don't have control.

I was in a bar one night and one farang was buying lady drinks and ringing the bell like crazy.  His check bin was almost 100k and the girls told me he's been doing that for a few nights in a row.  It turned out he recently settled a lawsuit back home and was awarded a chunk of money and was spending like a mad man.  He clearly lost control and will regret it if/when he sobers up.

• Agree 1

Just now, bbko said:

I was in a bar one night and one farang was buying lady drinks and ringing the bell like crazy.  His check bin was almost 100k and the girls told me he's been doing that for a few nights in a row.  It turned out he recently settled a lawsuit back home and was awarded a chunk of money and was spending like a mad man.  He clearly lost control and will regret it if/when he sobers up.

If that was in Soi Buakhao about a year ago I think I was there, he was there for 3 days, the bar next-door had a band on the road and he even went and threw a load of money at them,

I paid for one drink and I was very drunk he was ringing the bell before I could finish a beer,

I staggered back to my hotel, when I went out for lunch, the next day, he was back in the bar again. :drunk::burp: